Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAX Growth Announcement Week of 18 Jan 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MAH4546
New routes announced so far:

DFW-BZN, daily CR9, winter & summer seasonal
DFW-BOI, daily A319
DFW-SUX, daily ERJ145
DFW-SWO, 2x daily ERJ145

LGA-MVY, 3 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-BGR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-MYR, 2 weekly CR2, summer seasonal
LGA-ACK, 3 weekly ERJ170, summer seasonal
LGA-SDF, 1 daily CR2

CLT-SJC, daily A319, eastbound redeye, summer seasonal

ORD-SMF, double daily 738 including one eastbound redeye

LAX-SEA, 5 daily (4x A319 / 1x ERJ-175)
LAX-PDX, 3 daily ERJ-175
LAX-MSP, 2 daily A319
LAX-MSY, 1 daily 738
LAX-MCI, 1 daily A319
LAX-OMA, 1 daily A319
LAX-BDL, 1 daily 738, eastbound redeye
LAX-ANC, 1 daily, A319 seasonal
LAX-DRO, 1 daily, seasonal
LAX-RDU, 2nd daily, summer seasonal, A319

Route CUTS:
PHL-SMF
PHX-YYC
PHX-YEG (moving to winter seasonal)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Heads up, a LAX expansion should be announced this week with HKG included.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Great to hear. Would the announcement include anything related to LAX terminal situation? I knew this was happening soon after it was confirmed DL is headed for T2/3. Realistically, it sounds like AA will have the 5 guaranteed TBIT gates, T5, and T4 with the Eagle's nest closing. (Gate 44 would re-open since the bus stop would no longer be needed and 41 would no longer be used for INTL flights due to the TBIT arrangement.) I doubt they'll hang on to those four gates at T6 since a few airlines will have to move to T6 from T2/3 to make room for DL.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
Nice, thanks! Hopefully they add back from JFK-LAX-JFK frequencies on Saturdays, because the existing schedule is really skim, but I'm sure this won't be the case
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Longboater
Great to hear. Would the announcement include anything related to LAX terminal situation? I knew this was happening soon after it was confirmed DL is headed for T2/3. Realistically, it sounds like AA will have the 5 guaranteed TBIT gates, T5, and T4 with the Eagle's nest closing. (Gate 44 would re-open since the bus stop would no longer be needed and 41 would no longer be used for INTL flights due to the TBIT arrangement.)
As long as they build a better T4-T5 airside connector.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Longboater
Great to hear. Would the announcement include anything related to LAX terminal situation? I knew this was happening soon after it was confirmed DL is headed for T2/3. Realistically, it sounds like AA will have the 5 guaranteed TBIT gates, T5, and T4 with the Eagle's nest closing. (Gate 44 would re-open since the bus stop would no longer be needed and 41 would no longer be used for INTL flights due to the TBIT arrangement.) I doubt they'll hang on to those four gates at T6 since a few airlines will have to move to T6 from T2/3 to make room for DL.
We are years away from DL moving out of T5 for T2/T3 at LAX. This current flight build up probably has to with AA's access to gates at TBIT and a very-soon-to-be-opened airside connector from T4 to those gates.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Rumor: LAX Growth Announcement This Week (including LAX-HKG)

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but certainly significant enough that it's worthy of it's own conversation.

Rumor/speculation is that there will be an announcement, possibly Thursday, regarding AA expanding operations at LAX. The highlight route will be daily service to Hong Kong on the 77W, but other routes will also be included. I would think AA might also make public its plans to takeover LAX's Terminal 5, now that Delta has made public its plans to leave T5/T6 for T2/T3.

AA will be re-configuring Terminal 4 to go from 13 to 15 gates. Work starts next month and will be complete in early summer.

AA will also add five gates (four widebody and one narrowbody) at Tom Bradley. They are for AA's use exclusively before 11am, and shared after 11am. Tom Bradley will be connected within security starting mid-2016 through the new T4-TBIT connector.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Wow - lots of news here. LAX Term 5 take over - a big move for AA - they need it.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:05 pm

Anybody know what other routes are going to be announced besides the HKG route?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I would not expect a meaningful new route announcement at this point (if something materializes besides HKG, it will be something domestic that isn't all that interesting).

AA is years away from getting a significant amount of new gates in T5 and even a year out from the 2 new gates in T4.

In fact, about a week ago, AA cut LAX-TPA starting April or so (not sure if it is permanent or just a summer seasonal reduction).

Last edited by DWFI; Jan 12, 2016 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DWFI
I would not expect a meaningful new route announcement at this point (if something materializes besides HKG, it will be something domestic that isn't all that interesting...
My understanding is, definitely other routes to be announced this week, and, definitely domestic-- "very" if ya know what I mean.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by JonNYC
My understanding is, definitely other routes to be announced this week, and, definitely domestic-- "very" if ya know what I mean.
Hence "not very interesting"

I have heard some rumors but I haven't heard anything that even remotely excited me. HKG on the other hand, I like - a lot. ^
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:09 pm
E55

Well, it makes the huge award cost increase to hkg make some sense.

Why offer a low priced award to hkg on a partner when you're planning to start a new route? You wouldn't.

Plus there might be premium economy offered on that route and you'd need space in the pricing to fit that award in. At the 50k miles level, perhaps??

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:29 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Hence "not very interesting"
I suppose. Surprising though.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

I think we could see some of the usual suspects for LAX domestic expansion - Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Detroit stand out, and taking another stab at Fort Lauderdale. Also, not domestic, but Calgary, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, San Jose (CR), Guatemala City and San Salvador. Just my guesses.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:20 pm

AA is years away from getting a significant amount of new gates in T5 and even a year out from the 2 new gates in T4. .
The T4 gates will be activated early summer, and AA will start making full use of the 5 TBIT gates later this year. Plus there is talk of more T6 space, possibly shared with AS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.