Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Flying Sunday evening and Monday morning (YYZ-CLT-SJO). Monday morning flight (A320) cleared yesterday morning, more than 100 hours in advance. Sunday's segment (on an E175, 3/8 seats occupied) still not cleared. Have seven more segments this month but all are in premium cabins, two on Falgship A321s. Decided to use my last Feb2016 expiring eVIP to upgrade one of these from biz to F on one of them which cleared immediately. Expect that YYZ-CLT will clear by the time OLCI comes along, so should be 3 for 3 this year.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Any experience with Flight 1248 the 5PM 773 MIA/LAX flight clearing as an EXP complimentary upgrade. This would be a Wednesday in the second week of February. Would using miles/copay be a much safer bet?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Cleared all these flights at the EXP window for some mileage running this coming Thu/Fri:

DTW-ORD
ORD-BOS
BOS-PHL
SEA-DFW

I started using 2/16 soon to be expiring EVIPs for domestic transcons this month. Those were the leftover flights I didn't upgrade with EVIPs.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
8 segments as an EXP so far this year and batting 100%
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I have had 4/4 legs with successful complimentary upgrades so far. I am good to go for 1 of 2 more egs this Thursday, oddly enough the uncleared one is DFW-DEN which is usually cleared by this time. The flight is half-empty in coach, so I think there must be some in F that just popped for the instant upgrade on booking. For 644 miles not worth it to me.

Another thing I have noted in 2016 is no email notifications of the 5 that cleared so far this year. I just find out by checking the AA app or seeing on ExpertF Flyer that my coach seat has opened up.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:43 pm

I'm just 1/3 for TATL SWUs in 2016 so far. Obviously small numbers, but doesn't bode well.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
So my Friday flight from LAX-PVG has gone to J1 yet the seatmap still shows 20 empties, as before when it was wide open for sale. Seems odd to me... Ny thoughts?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (3 Million Mile Club), Global Entry
Not having much luck

EXP - upgrades posted T2 on the regional jet connections, no upgrades on main line yet.

On Friday was #3 CLT - PHX, top two cleared. On Monday was #8 PHX - CLT, have no idea if anybody cleared.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Astromiles
I'm just 1/3 for TATL SWUs in 2016 so far. Obviously small numbers, but doesn't bode well.
This kind of post would mean a lot more if you informed us:

1. What routes/flights/dates/times/equipment;

and

2. How far in advance the SWU was requested.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Generally, which Bay Area airport would give me the best chance of an upgrade from DFW?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Generally, which Bay Area airport would give me the best chance of an upgrade from DFW?
If you're flying during peak business hours, then it doesn't really matter -- they're both gonna be pretty tough. Otherwise I've found SFO to be easier, probably because there are more flights -- I'm 6/8 on DFW <-> SFO in the past year, with the only two misses a Monday AM flight and Thursday PM flight. Others' experience may differ, though, my sample size isn't enormous.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
If you're flying during peak business hours, then it doesn't really matter -- they're both gonna be pretty tough. Otherwise I've found SFO to be easier, probably because there are more flights -- I'm 6/8 on DFW <-> SFO in the past year, with the only two misses a Monday AM flight and Thursday PM flight. Others' experience may differ, though, my sample size isn't enormous.
Interesting, I would have thought SJC. What about SMF? I have a bit of a drive to where I'm going from any airport out there, so I'm open.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
I am wait-listed for Y->J upgrade using SWUs for AA38 (MIA-LHR) on 2/3 and AA107 (LHR-JFK) on 2/11. Neither upgrade was available at booking time (which was late Nov).

Any thoughts on upgrade chances on either of these flights?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Gold
AA170 NRT-LAX Uprade on Jan 22

Hi everyone,
Does anybody know the upgrade availability to business for AA170 from NRT to LAX on January 22? I am executive platinum and requested SWU.

CX 520 HKG-NRT (Q)
AA170 NRT-LAX (Q)
AA170 LAX-SFO (Q)

I know that the first leg is not eligible b/c it's operated by Cathay Pacific, but it would nice to get an upgrade upgrade for the next two legs.

And one more question. If the system wide upgrade request is not shown on AA website, is this something I need to contact AA about?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by WASBLR
I am wait-listed for Y->J upgrade using SWUs for AA38 (MIA-LHR) on 2/3 and AA107 (LHR-JFK) on 2/11. Neither upgrade was available at booking time (which was late Nov).

Any thoughts on upgrade chances on either of these flights?
EF shows AA107 to JFK has only 11 of 52 seats occupied in J and in MCE w/30 seats it is wide open. EXPs in MCE waiting for a SWU are usually there, so you should be good to go. It’s always easier to get to J on TATL westbound.

Outbound on the 3rd looks OK too. 15/37 in J are occupied, and row 31 exit where I camp out on that 777 waiting for an SWU has only 3 of 4 occupied.

If I could only pick one it would be AA38. The MCE on the 777W is pretty nice if thats where you are now. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.