Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2015-17 AA Premium Economy / PE / PEY on widebody a/c announced

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by jordyn
That doesn't make it "unsafe to waitlist a SWU", that makes it "unsafe to buy a coach ticket on the assumption that you'll eventually be upgraded without confirmed C availability at the time of booking". I mostly agree with that proposition, but think it's been true for a while and has only a little bit to do with this change.
This is a calculated risk that a lot of us take, under the assumption that if you book several months out, you will clear, barring any major irrops and snowball effects. Now this thing is likely entirely different. I personally don't want to fly 16 hours to Asia in PE, it is either J or nothing.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
This is a calculated risk that a lot of us take, under the assumption that if you book several months out, you will clear, barring any major irrops and snowball effects. Now this thing is likely entirely different. I personally don't want to fly 16 hours to Asia in PE, it is either J or nothing.
But you're willing to fly in Y if your upgrade doesn't clear? I don't get it.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
But you're willing to fly in Y if your upgrade doesn't clear? I don't get it.
The way I approach this I am 95% certain it will clear (booking many months in advance and using EF alerts). If it doesn't clear the choices are trying to change flights/reroute to ones that have C, trying using double SWUs, rescheduling trip, or slamming it in MCE (assuming a 77W). Thank God I didn't have to resort to any of these yet. But mostly I have been able to find confirmed C space at booking to Asia, with the exception of the HKG route where I chance it very safely (and only on the 77W, I would never risk this on the 787, with the smaller J cabin and awful Y). The only real threat is irrops, and it is not negligible, unfortunately, maybe around 5%?.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EP
This means waitlisting your SWUs for flights in April or later is not safe, as they may clear into PE if the SWU rules change at some point before then....
Per the q2, earnings call, it was said that they need to inform customers of the PEY changes. and on the latest call they said that pey is more of a 2018 revenue initiative. Combining these 2, I am not looking for SWUs to change until they have more PEY cabins and they give notice. So am thinking we are good till maybe Fall?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Has anybody booked on the DFW routes (GRU, MAD) starting next week? These should have the seats even though the official launch for the service is early next year...

I am curious, can these seats be selected with Oneworld status or is it really only AAdvantage status as the site suggests. I have Emerald with BA, equivalent to Executive Platinum, which typically allows me to pick good/special seats but with this I'm not sure.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by varkey
Has anybody booked on the DFW routes (GRU, MAD) starting next week? These should have the seats even though the official launch for the service is early next year...

I am curious, can these seats be selected with Oneworld status or is it really only AAdvantage status as the site suggests. I have Emerald with BA, equivalent to Executive Platinum, which typically allows me to pick good/special seats but with this I'm not sure.
Did u try?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Did u try?
I don't want to buy without knowing. I can see the seats are available (rows 9-11) during a dummy booking but I don't know if I will be able to get them for free. I don't have AAdvantage status to check this before booking and the seats appear as 'unavailable' without status.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't want to buy without knowing. I can see the seats are available (rows 9-11) during a dummy booking but I don't know if I will be able to get them for free. I don't have AAdvantage status to check this before booking and the seats appear as 'unavailable' without status.
Yes, EXPs can select these for free.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:45 pm

Yes, EXPs can select these for free.
Sigh. Never mind.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Sigh. Never mind.
I feel for you, varkey. I think that's just saying that nobody really knows. Personally I was Gold and Platinum on QF for years before migrating back to the US and AAdvantage, and I never encountered an AA-only restriction on seat selection like other airlines have - they've always treated OW elites equally (IME). As they say in investing, though, past performance is no guarantee of future returns, so it may have changed. So there's your non-answer.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Could also try buying the ticket on expedia w/ hassle-free 24 hour cancellation and see what seats AA.com lets you select (or even calling in.) No downside.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, call AA and ask them.

Can you put the flights in hold on aa.com? That's even better, and then call, or you may even be able to see the 0 pricing, if it recognizes you as an elite.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul
I feel for you, varkey. I think that's just saying that nobody really knows. Personally I was Gold and Platinum on QF for years before migrating back to the US and AAdvantage, and I never encountered an AA-only restriction on seat selection like other airlines have - they've always treated OW elites equally (IME). As they say in investing, though, past performance is no guarantee of future returns, so it may have changed. So there's your non-answer.
Thanks, zpaul. I was really frustrated with the previous "answer" that simply repeated what I was asking, your answer of "nobody knows" is a perfectly valid, frustration-free answer. I agree, I have never encountered an AAdvantage-only limitation before but this one is an usual temporary benefit and the wording seemed peculiarly focused on AAdvantage status holders.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Could also try buying the ticket on expedia w/ hassle-free 24 hour cancellation and see what seats AA.com lets you select (or even calling in.) No downside.
Yes, call AA and ask them.

Can you put the flights in hold on aa.com? That's even better, and then call, or you may even be able to see the 0 pricing, if it recognizes you as an elite.
Yes, I would have to ask our travel agent to hold with my BAEC number/status and then I could go in to see. It's a bit of a hassle I wanted to avoid if the answer was already known.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I posted in a 787 thread too. The EXP agent booked me in PE for free on my return trip from CDG to DFW in February. Though I'm hopeful I am not sitting there and my SWU clears...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:30 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The writing has clearly been on the wall on the AA side, but Delta has just announced their new PE product and also confirmed that upgrade instruments from Y will only be for PE. At least they are giving almost one year's notice. AA should really just announce what we already know at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.