Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of AA 787-9

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: econometrics
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 AA as of 6 Oct 2016

22 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners were ordered in total by American Airlines.

Related threads:

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Best Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat, Service (master thd)

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd)

Retaining the wingspan of the 787-8, the 787-9 is a lengthened and strengthened variant with a 20 feet (6.1 m) longer fuselage and a 54,500 pounds (24,700 kg) higher maximum take-off weight (MTOW), seating 280 passengers in a typical three-class arrangement over a 7,635 nautical miles (8,786 mi; 14,140 km) range. Link to Wikipedia article.
Seating in the 787-9 "out of the box" will comprise
  1. 30 Business class seats

2. 21 Premium Economy seats

3. 234 economy seats (207 Main Cabin, 27 Main Cabin Extra)
...we learned that American would be installing the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond seat on their (~half the 772 fleet) 777-200, A350, and 787 aircraft going forward. These are the same types of business class seats as on Air Canada, China Airlines, Qatar Airways, Virgin Australia, etc. (EXCEPT the AA seats will not offer privacy dividers for the Center pair of seats) Link to One Mile at a Time article
B/E Aerospace will provide the Premium Economy seating (possibly a version of their Millennium seat); extendable leg and footrests for bulkhead seats, foot pegs for the rest.

AA will receive an additional 10 787-9s in 2017 and will receive the final 8 in 2018. AA has ordered a total of 22 787-9s to complement its 20 787-8s. These will have the General Electric GEnx-1B engines.

Originally Posted by Longboater
787 Blog

The 787 blog, which is very accurate, has posted additional 787-9 delivery dates. These are the scheduled delivery dates for the ten 787-9 scheduled to arrive in 2017. Its actually going to be a while before these aircraft really start to show up en masse as AA is taking its final three 787-8s in February and March. It won't be until next summer where they'll be plenty of these aircraft flying around the system.

Line Number 560 Delivery Date: 6/6/2017
Line Number 563 Delivery Date: 6/12/2017
Line Number 570 Delivery Date: 7/7/2017
Line Number 587 Delivery Date: 8/16/2017
Line Number 596 Delivery Date: 9/8/2017
Line Number 610 Delivery Date: 10/12/2017
Line Number 626 Delivery Date: 11/22/2017
Line Number 635 Delivery Date: 11/27/2017
Line Number 671 Delivery Date: 2/27/2018
Line Number 682 Delivery Date: 3/26/2018
Line Number 692 Delivery Date: 4/19/2018
Scheduled B789 markets as of 17APR17:

DFW-MAD
DFW-GRU
DFW-CDG
DFW-ICN
ORD-CDG (From JUL-05, Until AUG-03)
LAX-NRT (From AUG-04, Until OCT-27)
LAX-AKL (From OCT-06)
LAX-GRU (From NOV-05)
LAX-SYD (From NOV-06)

Link to Boeing's global 787 tracker.

Updated 17 April 2017 by econometrics
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of AA 787-9

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
American posted quite a few pics / videos of her delivery on their Instagram Story. FYI.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:18 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by econometrics
American posted quite a few pics / videos of her delivery on their Instagram Story. FYI.
Sadly they only showed inside pics of the cockpit and pilot crew rest... not of the cabin. Eager to see real world pics of the new PE cabin.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by dw
Sadly they only showed inside pics of the cockpit and pilot crew rest... not of the cabin. Eager to see real world pics of the new PE cabin.
I noticed the same thing. Showing the cargo area, but not the cabin? Odd.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by econometrics
I noticed the same thing. Showing the cargo area, but not the cabin? Odd.
A sop to us SLF.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
A sop to us SLF.
True! Is this the new Economy Basic?!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
American did just post photos of the cabin interior here:

https://twitter.com/AmericanAir/stat...31338562785280
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This is OT but does LCC management have any plans of installing the SuperDiamond on the already retrofitted 77Es, and current 788s? Or no? Is AA really going to have a different J seat on pretty much every plane? Sounds silly but hey if LCC management saves a dollar, then why not. I've yet to experience the "motion across the ocean" (HT: JDiver), but needless to say, the SuperDiamond looks light-years better.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by no1cub17
This is OT but does LCC management have any plans of installing the SuperDiamond on the already retrofitted 77Es, and current 788s?

...Is AA really going to have a different J seat on pretty much every plane?
Neither.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Is AA really going to have a different J seat on pretty much every plane?
Yep. I'm sure "customer feedback" showed interest in having a variety of J products to choose from (even though one can't really even choose what J they're getting).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This is OT but does LCC management have any plans of installing the SuperDiamond on the already retrofitted 77Es, and current 788s? Or no? Is AA really going to have a different J seat on pretty much every plane? Sounds silly but hey if LCC management saves a dollar, then why not. I've yet to experience the "motion across the ocean" (HT: JDiver), but needless to say, the SuperDiamond looks light-years better.
AA keeps installing their "motion across the ocean" seats: FT complainers gripe about "cheap LCC management" not realizing their supplier is giving them crap product.

AA changes seat suppliers: FT complainers gripe about "cheap LCC management" installing from multiple suppliers.

Sounds like the complainers get something to grouse about either way.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AA keeps installing their "motion across the ocean" seats: FT complainers gripe about "cheap LCC management" not realizing their supplier is giving them crap product.

AA changes seat suppliers: FT complainers gripe about "cheap LCC management" installing from multiple suppliers.

Sounds like the complainers get something to grouse about either way.
Haha no doubt. Not even gonna deny that. It is nice that AA wised up and went with a better product (and more reliable supplier), but bizarre to me that they wouldn't re-retrofit all 77Es and 788s with the nicer product.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Haha no doubt. Not even gonna deny that. It is nice that AA wised up and went with a better product (and more reliable supplier), but bizarre to me that they wouldn't re-retrofit all 77Es and 788s with the nicer product.
No sense to throw out the newly installed seats. Just look at UAL. Installing outmoded B/E Diamond seats on the 787-9, flying routes as long as SFO-SIN, while introducing Polaris on the 77W late this year. Based on what airlines have done previously, the impetus to rip out the Zodiac seats on the 787-8s and half of the 772 fleet would be related to the maintenance costs of the seats. While the seat is custom designed for AA, its possible, especially with the "motion across ocean", that maintenance, repair, and overhaul of the seats might very well exceed AA's cost standards. Since the 767 Thompson Aero seat, 77W/A321T Cirrus seat, 757/A321T B/E Diamond seat, and eventual 772/789/A350/A332 B/E Super Diamond seat are all commonly used seats, maintenance costs are likely to be lower. I can only guess negative feedback will increase on the Zodiac seats especially once the other half of the 772 fleet is refurbished, the A332 fleet is fitted with the Super Diamond seats when W is installed on the aircraft, and all 787-9s are delivered. So for the short to medium term, these seats are definitely not going anywhere.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Longboater
No sense to throw out the newly installed seats. Just look at UAL. Installing outmoded B/E Diamond seats on the 787-9, flying routes as long as SFO-SIN, while introducing Polaris on the 77W late this year. Based on what airlines have done previously, the impetus to rip out the Zodiac seats on the 787-8s and half of the 772 fleet would be related to the maintenance costs of the seats. While the seat is custom designed for AA, its possible, especially with the "motion across ocean", that maintenance, repair, and overhaul of the seats might very well exceed AA's cost standards. Since the 767 Thompson Aero seat, 77W/A321T Cirrus seat, 757/A321T B/E Diamond seat, and eventual 772/789/A350/A332 B/E Super Diamond seat are all commonly used seats, maintenance costs are likely to be lower. I can only guess negative feedback will increase on the Zodiac seats especially once the other half of the 772 fleet is refurbished, the A332 fleet is fitted with the Super Diamond seats when W is installed on the aircraft, and all 787-9s are delivered. So for the short to medium term, these seats are definitely not going anywhere.
Yeah, it seems to make sense that the first priority for AA is going to be "finish the 777 fleet so we're 100% lie-flat".
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yeah, it seems to make sense that the first priority for AA is going to be "finish the 777 fleet so we're 100% lie-flat".
Seems like common sense to me.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They had a contract, they presumably were going to finish quickly. But IMO, where AA possibly screwed up was penny pinching (wonder who was the designated genius?): instead of using an OEM product with cosmetic changes (e.g. Cirrus and the 77W), they decided to go with Zodiac and developed the customized "Concept D" - inferior fit and finish, "motion over the ocean", jamming privacy screens, lack of benefit of large scale as no other airline wanted the Concept D so Zodiac pumped them out on the side while trying to crank out the OEM with cosmetic changes for different customers - the piece of bread with butter on it.

So AA was forced to park brand new 788s in the desert, far from the revenue generating stream, while they awaited seats - because Boeing insisted AA take delivery and pay on them (or was it a lessor) and because they had no seats. (I wonder how much they lost? I wonder what incentive Zodiac has to finish up their contracted number of "custom" crAApified seats and to repair them so they have operating privacy screens, and more importantly, can design and get an STC for some kind of strapping mechanism that will stabilize the Zodiacs?

AA sued. AA was forced to look for a manufacturer that could produce a compatible product ASAP.

SO, 787-8 with Zodes, half the 772 fleet with Zodes - and different numbers of seats, to boot. 772 pax (once all 47 are retrofitted, will be seen here in a "I lost my J seat because they subbed a low J for the high J I was booked on" and more angst from those booked in B/E Aerospace Super Diamonds but saw their aircraft subbed and 1) hate riding backwards, or / and 2) get "motion over the ocean" on a long redeye.

At least the 787-9 (and A350-900 coming later) will have a consistent product. ^ I like the Super Diamond - both Solo and Parallel, though of course I prefer the Solo we'll have on the 787-9.

It certainly doesn't mean this is the absolute truth. It is my somewhat cantankerous take on this. #GrouchyFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.