Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Is E+ free for elites on UA?
Yes.

I’m a lowly Gold on AA, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an entire row of MCE empty let alone 3, and rarely even see anything but middles empty in AA MCE
On a per capita basis, I'd bet there are a lot more elites on AA than on United. AA gives away temporary status like candy on Halloween, but I've never seen United do that a single time. (United does offer challenges, but not on a random, mass-mailing basis like AA has been doing in recent years.) Beyond that, United polices its E+ seats after the cabin door closes while AA doesn't.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Why is AA the only carrier of the big 3 that allow squatters from Economy into MCE free of charge?
I'm in MCE a lot. I've never seen the FA allow squatters. I do see the FA bounce people back to their seat when they self-upgrade. Last week, my upg cleared at the last second, I was already seated in 15D. When the GA came down and handed me my new BP, the guy behind me started to get up and said "I'll take your seat". The GA responded with "I'll need your credit card for that seat", and he sat back down. So, I do see AA protecting MCE from squatters.
cmd320, apeortdz, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
Sort of surprised that AA hasn't copied DL yet and made MCE a separate class of service like C+ is.
does that come with an additional fee.. not sure
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I'm in MCE a lot. I've never seen the FA allow squatters. I do see the FA bounce people back to their seat when they self-upgrade. Last week, my upg cleared at the last second, I was already seated in 15D. When the GA came down and handed me my new BP, the guy behind me started to get up and said "I'll take your seat". The GA responded with "I'll need your credit card for that seat", and he sat back down. So, I do see AA protecting MCE from squatters.
that's hilarious
cmd320 and robertablake like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
does that come with an additional fee.. not sure
It’s a higher fare class so it’s not necessarily an additional fee pre se. It just costs more to book at the time of booking.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
A couple years have passed since this thread was hot, and we got bumped because UA was in the news for clearly stating that they don't permit self-upgrading from Y to Y+.

From where we sit now in 2019, having witnessed my share of piggish behavior on multiple airlines, I'm with UA on this one. The default position should be no self-upgrading - stay in your part of the cabin whether there's a curtain there or not.

If the flight is *very* empty and the FA wants to very prescriptively allow a limited amount of encroachment into Y+ without impacting any existing Y+ passengers, then fine...so be it...but it's clear to be that the traveling public cannot handle this responsibility itself. We're a bunch of selfish pigs, and that is the problem.
MSPeconomist and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I was on an AA flight earlier today and saw an FA decline a self-upgrader who wanted the MCE seat of a guy who was battlefield upgraded.

(The guy who was battlefield-upgraded appeared to be traveling with his wife and ditched her so fast her head spun. Haha.)

Last edited by joe_miami; Sep 15, 2019 at 4:34 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was on a 3/4 full A320(?) a couple weeks ago, had the window in the front exit row with both seats next to me empty, and all three directly behind me were empty. After the door was closed and the FA had already asked us if we were "willing & able..." and had walked off, three PAX came up from a few rows back and sat in the empty row behind me. No one encroached on my row so I didn't mind (and I hadn't paid for MCE, free at T24 as Gold). Before we pushed back the FA came up and told the three that she had "already gotten (willing & able) confirmation from the exit rows, and these seats cost extra, so they had to go back to their seats. I just thought it was funny that she used the willing & able confirmation as one of the reasons they couldn't sit there, in addition to the extra $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.