Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

The policy is listed in our inflight manual, so it cannot be copied and posted.
Old May 3, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by skylady
So, open seating once doors close?
Old May 3, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by hiima
I believe that's been reiterated and reconfirmed several times at this point.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by skylady
thanks, I was kinda hoping for an actual cite (like page number, section and paragraph that allows for "open seating" once the door closes). I wasn't asking for you to post company-confidential material. But if you don't want to do that, we'll just move on.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by hiima
Interesting.

Certainly there is not cabin distinction between coach, coach basic & coach MCE. I can see why AA doesn't want their policy manual made public. Might be more difficult to sell MCE.

I hope this information doesn't get out to the public.@:-)
Old May 4, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by txpenny
Certainly there is not cabin distinction between coach, coach basic & coach MCE. I can see why AA doesn't want their policy manual made public. Might be more difficult to sell MCE.
If it's been the policy all along, and passengers have been availing themselves of it, there's no new "information" to get out.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by rjw242
I believe that's been reiterated and reconfirmed several times at this point.
Including exit rows? Remember those require a verbal agreement that you're willing and able to operate the emergency exit.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The detailed language is important here: do airlines permit you to move around within your "cabin", or within your "class of service"? Cabin sort of implies a separate physical part of the plane (a bulkhead or at least a curtain), whereas class of service could include things like extra legroom areas or true premium economy areas.

Heck, the cynic in my thinks the 29" rows on the 737MAX could become their own class of disservice.

The question then becomes: are you permitted to self-upgrade to a higher class of service within your cabin?
Old May 4, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
The detailed language is important here: do airlines permit you to move around within your "cabin", or within your "class of service"? Cabin sort of implies a separate physical part of the plane (a bulkhead or at least a curtain), whereas class of service could include things like extra legroom areas or true premium economy areas.

Heck, the cynic in my thinks the 29" rows on the 737MAX could become their own class of disservice.

The question then becomes: are you permitted to self-upgrade to a higher class of service within your cabin?
Not premium economy, no.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by txpenny
Interesting.

I hope this information doesn't get out to the public.@:-)
That does seem logical as MCE seats can be filled with people who don't otherwise have seats at check in.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
That does seem logical as MCE seats can be filled with people who don't otherwise have seats at check in.
Well that's really no different than op-upping people to a new cabin. Whether it's the person that doesn't have a seat because the cabin is oversold, or another "more important" customer who then makes room for that other one. I mean perhaps there are fewer keystrokes for the GA to assign an MCE seat than an op-up, but the concept is the same.

Regardless, it's disappointing to me that AA doesn't care about the revenue integrity of MCE, and the "experiential integrity" of MCE for those that pay/earn their way there.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by siankaan1
Including exit rows? Remember those require a verbal agreement that you're willing and able to operate the emergency exit.
If a customer moves to an exit row, they will need to be briefed.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well that's really no different than op-upping people to a new cabin. Whether it's the person that doesn't have a seat because the cabin is oversold, or another "more important" customer who then makes room for that other one. I mean perhaps there are fewer keystrokes for the GA to assign an MCE seat than an op-up, but the concept is the same.

Regardless, it's disappointing to me that AA doesn't care about the revenue integrity of MCE, and the "experiential integrity" of MCE for those that pay/earn their way there.
It is very different. When choosing seats in advance ,people cannot choose seats in a cabin other than that ticketed - people can only choose to pay for preferred seating within the ticketed cabin

If MCE was defined to be a separate cabin and treated as such, then it would also seem feasible that it would be classed as a separate cabin for APD purposes for ex LHR departures
Old May 4, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon

It is a bit different, because due to these and priority seats, there are a limited number of seats open in the Economy to non-elites. I do not think AA assigning MCE seats at the gate to handle these people is the same as overselling Y and putting people in F
Old May 4, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not premium economy, no.
I don't know about AA's premium economy, but on BA, for example, it is a separate cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.