Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA permitting a "self upgrade" to MCE/exit row after boarding door closes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjw242
I don't know why people are pretending this is up for debate. MCE is not a separate class of service and switching into it is allowed...
Actually.... no, it isn't (don't mean to pick on your post, the majority seem to agree with you!)

Technically speaking it is -not- allowed for a non-eligible economy passenger to help themselves to a MCE seat.

While FA's can (and maybe even, should) enforce it, not surprising to hear that almost no one has ever seen one do so-- can't really blame 'em when you see the answers in this thread
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cmd320
Neither of these are true. MCE seats are complimentary only for EXP and PLT members, as well as GLD within 24 hours of departure. The only time these seats are issued on a complimentary basis to other customers who have not paid to sit there is when no other Y seats exist.

FA should have requested a credit card from the individual who switched seats upon that individual doing so.
Once the door is closed, it is entirely within the remit of the cabin crew to allow a passenger to occupy any unsold seat seat in their ticketed cabin.

There is no protection for MCE, exit row, preferred etc.

You pay in advance for the certainty of getting one of those seats, not the right to preventing others from occupying adjacent empty seats...
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Also full-fare Y:

Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary* for:
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
AAdvantage Platinum members
oneworld® Sapphire and oneworld Emerald members
Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/seats.jsp

"Full-fare" includes AAnytime awards.
Also, AS Gold75K's too
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Once the door is closed, it is entirely within the remit of the cabin crew to allow a passenger to occupy any unsold seat seat in their ticketed cabin.

There is no protection for MCE, exit row, preferred etc.

You pay in advance for the certainty of getting one of those seats, not the right to preventing others from occupying adjacent empty seats...
If that's true for AA, it's a policy choice. United views E+ differently. Can cabin crew reseat somebody into E+ to solve a problem? Sure. Do they reprimand people who self-upgrade? Sometimes they are very direct.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ShortDog
That's why I usually put my stuff on any empty seat next to me.
Two seats for the price of one! Isn't it always so much better to get something for free, than to see another person getting it?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Two seats for the price of one! Isn't it always so much better to get something for free, than to see another person getting it?
I was on LAX-LHR a few months ago, waitlisted fro a SWU. Flight was not very full but waitlist to upgrade was long. Went to AC agent to check on upgrade, she said it wasn't going to happen, but offered to move me next to an empty seat and blocked the seat for me. Now, I realize, that seat didn't have a sign on it that indicated it was blocked for VickiSoCal, but unless the flight filled and they needed to sell that seat, shouldn't I have a reasonable expectation it remain empty?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I was on LAX-LHR a few months ago, waitlisted fro a SWU. Flight was not very full but waitlist to upgrade was long. Went to AC agent to check on upgrade, she said it wasn't going to happen, but offered to move me next to an empty seat and blocked the seat for me. Now, I realize, that seat didn't have a sign on it that indicated it was blocked for VickiSoCal, but unless the flight filled and they needed to sell that seat, shouldn't I have a reasonable expectation it remain empty?
Sure, if the GA blocked the seat for you as a customer service gesture. I'm not sure how you'd protect it if another pax decided to take the seat, after the door closed. I imagine you'd have to ask the FA to intervene.

Why do you ask?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Sure, if the GA blocked the seat for you as a customer service gesture. I'm not sure how you'd protect it if another pax decided to take the seat, after the door closed. I imagine you'd have to ask the FA to intervene.

Why do you ask?
I'm not sure the FA would have that information. Plus an awful lot of people seem to think it is a free for all once the doors close.

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Nov 3, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
.. Plus an awful lot of people seems to think it is a free for all once the doors close.
Not a 'free for all'., but if the cabin crew are happy for a passenger to move to a different seat in their ticketed cabin I don't think other passengers have much of a chance to defend their adjacent empty seat.

That said, I'd have hoped that a blocked seat would show up on the manifest?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

I'm not sure the FA would have that information. Plus an awful lot of people seems to think it is a free for all once the doors close.
In the context of what I was answering to in the post that you quoted me from initially, I believe one only has an equal right to a remaining empty seat next to them, as someone else does from the same cabin. Unless it's paid for, or as in your example, provided as a special gesture.

I haven't witnessed the free for all that you mention, and I have no reason to disbelieve you, but I don't have a problem with someone in a middle seat changing to a better seat in the same cabin.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:44 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
As others have said, UA does not allow free self-moves into E+, and many FAs enforce this. Of course, I doubt UA's policy is for the benefit of the seatmate (if that's what the OP is getting at for AA) but rather to protect their own revenue stream.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nnn
As others have said, UA does not allow free self-moves into E+, and many FAs enforce this.
As I mentioned upthread, AA has the same policy, albeit seemingly -without- the FA enforcement of same.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
As I mentioned upthread, AA has the same policy, albeit seemingly -without- the FA enforcement of same.
I wonder if they're trained to enforce it.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by arollins
MCE seats are open for GA seat assignment free of charge. The money you pay is certainly to guarantee that you have the selected seat. A non status flyer will buy a ticket, see that there are only middle seats available and decides not to get one, in the hopes that once at the gate, something better might open up.
That being said, post-integration, agents are being pressured not to give away paid seats if they can help it, and they now have the ability to upsell at the gate if a passenger specifically requests an MCE seat.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Neither of these are true. MCE seats are complimentary only for EXP and PLT members, as well as GLD within 24 hours of departure. The only time these seats are issued on a complimentary basis to other customers who have not paid to sit there is when no other Y seats exist.

FA should have requested a credit card from the individual who switched seats upon that individual doing so.
^ I hope AA implements the ability to upsell MCE on board like UA did to avoid instances like what the OP described.

In the interest of full disclosure, I once self-upgraded on a lightly-loaded flight. i was in 15A but moved up to 8A where the two adjacent seats were empty and I could put the armrests up. I did ask the FA beforehand and showed my Gold card to indicate that I would have gotten the seat for free anyway.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's only one way to assure a clear adjacent seat - pay for it. Status, placing items on the seat, sucking in a lot of air like a blowfish, etc. do not include the right to a clear adjacent seat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...xtra-seat.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.