Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seasonal / holiday cancellation / flight reductions 2019 (master thd)

Old Aug 17, 19, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

I am planning to travel Nov. 20 or 21 (day before Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving). AA is showing a full complement of flights for Thanksgiving day. Will these actually operate, and if they don't, what will end up happening to my plans? Should I be concerned about booking a flight that day?
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA
With schedule changes still regularly happening because of the MAX issues I wouldn’t count on any schedule being in stone until within a month of the flight, no matter the date so would be monitoring my booking carefully.
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:16 pm

Thanksgiving is actually on 11/28 this year.
bse118, TWA884 and SJOGuy like this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by gusterific View Post
Thanksgiving is actually on 11/28 this year.
That's very different.

Nevermind.
Old Aug 18, 19, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
That's very different.

Nevermind.
Yes, You're absolutely right.
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
With schedule changes still regularly happening because of the MAX issues I wouldn’t count on any schedule being in stone until within a month of the flight, no matter the date so would be monitoring my booking carefully.
Recently my SJU-MIA flight for Nov 17 was changed from a 787 to a MAX.....
I want the 787 back because I was able to select a PE seat for my economy ticket
enpremiere likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
I want the 787 back because I was able to select a PE seat for my economy ticket
And, you know, the 787 will actually fly, while the MAX will most likely still be grounded by then.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
And, you know, the 787 will actually fly, while the MAX will most likely still be grounded by then.
Or they will simply cancel the flight.
Old Sep 14, 19, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Wednesday Thanksgiving Week -- Only a single SFO-JFK flight?!

How is it possible that AA is operating only a single SFO-JFK flight on one of the busiest travel days of the year, can someone please explain? Are they really not flying those birds?

Thought I was going crazy looking at EF and Google Flights but as far as I can tell there is indeed only one (which AA's own timetable tool confirms).
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam View Post
How is it possible that AA is operating only a single SFO-JFK flight on one of the busiest travel days of the year, can someone please explain? Are they really not flying those birds?

Thought I was going crazy looking at EF and Google Flights but as far as I can tell there is indeed only one (which AA's own timetable tool confirms).
I wonder if it's due to AA's reductions at JFK (https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...perations-jfk/ ). There are 4 SFO - PHL flights that day but only one of them will get you to JFK on the 27th...
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:57 am

I booked my Thanksgiving Travel (SFO-JFK) in August with a return on Friday the 29th at 5:45. A few weeks later I received a flight change notice and they moved me to 10:00 AM. When I called about it, they told me that took out all but the 10:00 AM direct flights that day. I have been flying this route for years as I go home early and leave on a slower travel day.

My only option was to leave the next day as leaving so early Friday didn't fit into my plans. Having had to do this, added a ton of extra cost though with hotel and car rental.

This seems like an odd time of year to reduce flights when there are usually 4 choices from JFK.
Old Sep 15, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by spaige View Post
I booked my Thanksgiving Travel (SFO-JFK) in August with a return on Friday the 29th at 5:45. A few weeks later I received a flight change notice and they moved me to 10:00 AM. When I called about it, they told me that took out all but the 10:00 AM direct flights that day. I have been flying this route for years as I go home early and leave on a slower travel day.

My only option was to leave the next day as leaving so early Friday didn't fit into my plans. Having had to do this, added a ton of extra cost though with hotel and car rental.

This seems like an odd time of year to reduce flights when there are usually 4 choices from JFK.
Assuming you mean 5:45 pm, it looks like there are several connecting options that leave around that time (through CLT, LAX, PHX for example) that would have gotten you back to SFO that night. Would AA not offer those, or did you want to stay on the direct?

Also, with a schedule change of that much, you could also look to see if any more desirable itineraries are currently cheaper (admittedly, perhaps not the case for Thanksgiving week travel). But if any are, you can cancel/refund the existing one, and rebook the new one at a cheaper price.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:58 pm

I wanted to stay direct, The lay over added too much to my travel time. It isn't the worst thing since the east will always be home for me and its an extra day to be with family and friends but I was very surprised that they took out all but one direct flight that day. It's was booked and cancelled 3 months in advance.
econ likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 12:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam View Post

It makes sense to me. There is little chance AA will make money flying premium heavy 32T's during the leisure heavy holiday periods so they are just not bothering.
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
An update: Now it is showing as a 738.

Search this Thread