Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread relates to international changes only. For "domestic" including Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ) same day changes see this thread.
International Same Day Flight Change has been limited to:

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change.

Link to AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Standby The standby policy applies to travel within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada on American and/or American Eagle.
Print Wikipost

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airiq
I was put on standby to try and take an earlier flight than the one I have scheduled. The flight turned out having seats available, but the gate agent said I should not have been put on the list, as you can't fly standby on an international flight.

However, there were others on the list after me, who were called 🤔
The agent wasn't very helpful in explaining why, but I presume it was because I was flying on an award ticket. I have a confirmed flight later, was simply trying to arrive on an earlier flight.

Couldn't find any verification on this rule online, so curious what the official policy is on this.
AA award on an AA operated flight?
The list may have been an upgrade list.
Not enough details. The details matter.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA award on an AA operated flight?
The list may have been an upgrade list.
Not enough details. The details matter.
Correct, AA award ticket on AA operated flight.

The list was 100% standby. Ten years plus exec platinum, hundreds of thousands of miles a year traveled, never been skipped over before.

The only variable "new" to me, is fact I was on an award ticket (I rarely fly on award tickets). But I have not found any documentation supporting this. Contacted support, and they also were unaware of this being a rule. Simply curious at this point.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I always thought that same day standby was not allowed for international flights.
​​​​​​Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)
funnyfarm299 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I always thought that same day standby was not allowed for international flights.
​​​​​​
Four other standby folks cleared, though. Perhaps they were on missed connections or some other reason. 🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:45 pm

​​​​​​
Four other standby folks cleared, though. Perhaps they were on missed connections or some other reason. 🤷‍♂️
Old Mar 1, 2024, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

​​​​​​Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)
That would be generally in line with the information on the AA website, excepting that international flights to Puerto Rico, US VI and Canada permit it, as well as flights between Heathrow and New York (Kennedy) are permitted

The OP hasn't detailed where the flight was to - if , for example, it was to Canada, then the agent was incorrect
Old Mar 1, 2024, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Effective today, March 1, AA only offers standby for travel within the U.S. (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands); no more exceptions for Canada and LHR:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

("Same-day travel")
funnyfarm299 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:14 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Afaik the standby list for international is always only employees non-revving (and all revenue pax are above non-rev). When I've changed flights day-of when flying internationally (due to delays), it's always been a confirmed change, never standby.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
SDFC International-to-Domestic

Mods, relocate if appropriate.

Say I am flying LHR-DFW-LAS. First class, award ticket, PPro. Am I able to SDFC the DFW-LAS leg, based on availability?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I don't believe so. I haven't tried in a while, but was denied the last few times (correctly per the stated policy).

I have had one successful outcome. However, much like my 2 data points of using miles + copay on non AA marketed flights and 1 data point of using one on an award flight, YMMV with AA Agents.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redtop43
Mods, relocate if appropriate.

Say I am flying LHR-DFW-LAS. First class, award ticket, PPro. Am I able to SDFC the DFW-LAS leg, based on availability?
Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't believe so. I haven't tried in a while, but was denied the last few times (correctly per the stated policy).

I have had one successful outcome. However, much like my 2 data points of using miles + copay on non AA marketed flights and 1 data point of using one on an award flight, YMMV with AA Agents.
I’ve been successful when trying to get on an earlier flight more than once. Say you have a 90 minute layover in DFW, and you arrive 30 minutes early. I’ve been able to clear immigration and get to the agent at the bag drop transfer, and ask to be put on an earlier flight. I’m EXP, so don’t know if that changes things. I understand this isn’t the same as a SDFC in the App or online….

Are you hoping to SDC to a later flight?
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, DL 1M, Marriott Elite, Hilton Gold, SPG Elite
Same Day Confirmed - Routing

I have a LHR-JFK-BOS routing in PE (am an Ex Plat). Is it possible to make an SDC to a LHR-BOS if seats are available on AA as the origin and destination remain the same? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BahstunDLPT; Mar 17, 2024 at 9:34 am
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:26 am

Programs: Some more than others
No. SDFC does not permit routing changes.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 9:52 am

No but you can try calling to change the flight once you have flown the outbound, I would say 70 percent of the time I have success here with the fare difference being under 100, often it means taking the ba flight rather than aa flight to Bos , the one caveat being I have never had a ticket with Bos as my final destination I am usually trying to change a jfk ticket to Bos, I have literally called twice five minutes apart and gone from a cost difference of 1000, to 30, I always have some sort of j ticket
BahstunDLPT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.