Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread relates to international changes only. For "domestic" including Canada, Caribbean, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, ) same day changes see this thread.
International Same Day Flight Change has been limited to:

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change.

Link to AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy

Link to archived aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Standby The standby policy applies to travel within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, the Caribbean or Canada on American and/or American Eagle.
Print Wikipost

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2023, 2:01 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Were you able to SDFC your flight from a JAL bird to AA?
wasnt
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Has anyone managed to SDFC a connecting flight from JFK-xxx-LHR to a nonstop JFK-LHR? And might AA put me on a BA operated nonstop flight JFK-LHR if their own that day are full?

Ticket is Basic Economy, my status is Platinum Pro on AA and BA Gold (also OneWorld Emerald).

Would prefer to credit miles from the flight and earn tier points to BA Exec Club if possible.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
Has anyone managed to SDFC a connecting flight from JFK-xxx-LHR to a nonstop JFK-LHR? And might AA put me on a BA operated nonstop flight JFK-LHR if their own that day are full?

Ticket is Basic Economy, my status is Platinum Pro on AA and BA Gold (also OneWorld Emerald).

Would prefer to credit miles from the flight and earn tier points to BA Exec Club if possible.
You can't use SDFC, but if you hope for a delay/weather waiver/cancellation/friendly agent then they may rebook you.
salut0 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:18 pm

One more question: SDFC sounds like it’s free for ExecPlat and PlatPro members. Is that true also for JFK-LHR?
Old Jun 21, 2023, 8:49 am

And one other question: are you blocked from using SDFC with an agent at the airport if you checkin online? Or does it make it more difficult for the agent to process the change, like having to “uncheck” you in before the change is made?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:51 am

AA to AA

Does anyone know if you can do an AA same day flight change in person?

I booked the flight via BA (my flight is operated by AA) so they couldn't do it online or over the phone as BA owns the ticket. But if I show up early to the AA desk at LHR what are the odds they could then put me on an earlier flight?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by efly3
Does anyone know if you can do an AA same day flight change in person?

I booked the flight via BA (my flight is operated by AA) so they couldn't do it online or over the phone as BA owns the ticket. But if I show up early to the AA desk at LHR what are the odds they could then put me on an earlier flight?
probably low to non-existent outside of IRROPs. you're on a 125- ticket rather than a 001- ticket. the only time i've had that overridden is when there was a weather waiver
Old Sep 18, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Currently booked on LHR-JFK-LAX with a 11:50pm JFK arrival and a 540am LAX departure - somewhat brutal. Is SDFC allowed on either leg - LHR JFK or JFK LAX, to either depart LHR next day and overnight in London, or buy a full night of sleep at JFK?
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Hengilas
Currently booked on LHR-JFK-LAX with a 11:50pm JFK arrival and a 540am LAX departure - somewhat brutal. Is SDFC allowed on either leg - LHR JFK or JFK LAX, to either depart LHR next day and overnight in London, or buy a full night of sleep at JFK?
Definitely on the JFK-LAX flight, which you can also arrange after you arrive at JFK. However, it's very hard to SFDC on that route in either Y or J. You should be free to same-day standby to a later flight and roll the dice, though. If you are EXP in Y, you are very likely to clear standby on the flight of your choice, but it may not be into a good seat, and it's a long flight to be stuck in a Y middle...
Old Mar 1, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Questions regarding DEN-MEX/MID/CUN journey

I'm a BAEC member and have only flown with AA a handful of times in the past, so please bear with me if these are really stupid questions!

If I have an AA booking from DEN to MEX, MID or CUN, which would likely be via PHX, DFW or CLT (or some combination of those three), on which parts of the journey can I standby for an earlier flight?

My understanding from AA's website is that the answer is "none", since I am on an international booking. But is that correct? I read something on another thread about most Mexican routes being considered domestic, apart from routes to MEX itself. Is that correct and does it still hold for 2024? If the segments to/from Mexico aren't eligible, can I still standby for an earlier flight for the domestic portion of the journey (e.g. DEN-DFW or DFW-DEN)?

I'm presuming that as a OWE the recently introduced restriction of having to be an AAdvantage member doesn't apply? And would an Economy Basic fare be eligible for standby or does it have to be a Main Cabin or above fare? Equally, would a redemption booking made using Avios via BA be eligible for standby?

Also, would I be eligible to select MCE seats as a OWE even on a Basic Economy fare, or do I need a Main Cabin or above fare? I know AS has that restriction.

Sorry, realise that's a lot of questions - I'm trying to establish how these things work with AA. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:49 pm

Possible to go standby on AA international flight?

I was put on standby to try and take an earlier flight than the one I have scheduled. The flight turned out having seats available, but the gate agent said I should not have been put on the list, as you can't fly standby on an international flight.

However, there were others on the list after me, who were called 🤔

The agent wasn't very helpful in explaining why, but I presume it was because I was flying on an award ticket. I have a confirmed flight later, was simply trying to arrive on an earlier flight.

Couldn't find any verification on this rule online, so curious what the official policy is on this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:58 pm

Not true unless you had luggage checked on the previous flight. Did the gate agent have some people hanging around that she knew that were also going standbye? Non rev standbye which is darn now on the list and often below miles stanbye
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:02 pm

Nope, they were actually about to close the flight with the last seat open. Right before, the very last person on the list showed up, and took it. And no, no checked luggage.

I had been put on three different standby flights throughout the day, by three different agents, with the last one being the exec platinum desk. Would have assumed one of them would have mentioned it at some point throughout the day.

Last edited by Airiq; Mar 1, 2024 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Depending on the route, the agent is , I believe, correct. Looking at https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp , the options seems to be for US, Puerto Rico, US VI, Canada, Caribbean and flights between London and New York

Were you travelling on any of these routes?
Old Mar 1, 2024, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Airiq
I was put on standby to try and take an earlier flight than the one I have scheduled. The flight turned out having seats available, but the gate agent said I should not have been put on the list, as you can't fly standby on an international flight.

However, there were others on the list after me, who were called 🤔
Those others might have been non-revenue standby passengers (airline employees and/or their friends and family) traveling on space-available passes.
DiamondMile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.