Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA operates out of both Terminal 2 (ticket counters, baggage check and carousels, curbside check-in, TSA, Pre-Check, Clear, Admirals Club), and gates only at Terminal 1 (linked airside, no ticket counters).

Link to AA SFO information page
Link to SFO Admirals Club Information
Link to AA SFO airport page
Link to official SFO airport page
Link to map with Terminal 2 concessions

Ticket counter: Terminal 2, Concourse D
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Admirals Club : After security, Terminal 2 (T2), Boarding Area D (open 04:15-00:15)

Gates
Terminal 2 Concourse D: 56A, 56B, 57, 58A, 58B
Terminal 1 Concourse C: 45A, 45B, and 47
These are connected by an airside corridor above and alongside the tarmac. The Admirals Club is in Terminal 2 after security; allow 5-15 minutes to gates (C gates are farther) depending on gate and mobility.

Baggage carousels: downstairs, Terminal 2

Animal relief area: landside lower level outside baggage claim, turn right and look for dog paws.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Other nuggets of info
SFO has two runway pairs:
10L/28R 11,870 ft 3,618 m Asphalt
10R/28L 11,381 3,469 Asphalt
and
1R/19L 8,650 2,637 Asphalt
1L/19R 7,650 2,332 Asphalt

These runways were designed and built with non-standard runway separation (centerlines of the parallel runways are only 750 feet / 230 m apart) Any time weather conditions affect SFO, ATC flow control is put into effect because only one runway of each runway pair can be used. This may mean delayed arrivals (and subsequent departures) as well as diversions (usually to SJC, but may include OAK).

A useful resource with links in the Wikipost is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Print Wikipost

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
I've never tried to check in that early at SFO and can't answer the question, but if you are turned down there is luggage storage available in the international terminal.

http://www.flysfo.com/faqs

I was with an FTer that stored a rollaboard here once and think it was around $16 for a few hours, so I wouldn't expect this service to be inexpensive.
I dunno, $16 to store luggage for a few hours doesn't seem inexpensive to me. Granted this is SFO, where BART rides into the city center cost $10 but IMO that's outrageously high. YMMV.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Part of the BART pricing is the $4 airport surcharge for trips starting or ending there.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
As a data point for the future, I chrecked in a bag at 1015 for a 1550 domestic flight in F (with a human not a machine) and no eyelids were batted.

Thanks for the answers.

Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I live in LA and have Global Entry. I will be flying out of SFO to Europe in a couple of months. My flight back from Europe lands at 12.35 pm and am debating whether 2 hours would be enough to clear customs and take the domestic flight from SFO to LAX.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:23 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I came through yesterday at 0940 and was the second person at baggage claim about 10 mins after getting off my Qantas flight. After waiting about 20 mins for my bag, I was outside the secure area. I think you'd be safe with two hours. I only saw two others using the Global Entry kiosks when I was there.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Too tight for SFO?

Hi All,

On March 7th I'll be landing at SFO around 6.25 PM on BA287. I was supposed to enjoy a full day in SFO before the start of my meetings but guess what? looks like another meeting is now planned, and where? in JFK!

As the flight to SFO is non-refundable and can't be amended for a decent price I need to resort doing a quick trip to JFK and back.

Now, there would be some flights available that would fit my schedule and I'm talking about the direct flight AA276 from SFO to JFK leaving the same day at 9.05 PM.

My question is ... provided that BA287 is not late and lands at 6.25 PM, will I make it for a 9.05 departure considering I need to clear immigration and everything?

What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I think you should be fine. I've taken BA287 once and it was the only flight at immigration that day. The biggest holdup was for bags--they must have loaded the bags wrong at LHR because all priority bags came out last! For an A380, that means waiting for a lot of bags to come out before yours! Of course, wait times for immigration and customs are subject to quite a bit of variance.

What day of the week are you flying? On some days there is a later AA redeye, departing around 10:30 pm or so (AA18), if you'd prefer a longer layover.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
I think you'll be fine. SFO immigration / customs is reasonably staffed and when I took BA 287 a few months ago, bags came out in a reasonable amount of time. You'll have a 10-15 min walk/tram ride from international baggage claim to terminal 2 security, where you'll catch your flight to JFK. If possible, I'd suggest not checking a bag.

Do you have global entry? That would certainly help too.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:26 pm

I agree, you should be ok.

If you have a bag, you may be able to check it through to JFK, although as always in the US, you need to claim it and clear immigration first.

Check in/security at T2 should be easy at that time too.

Happy travels.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Thank you all.

I'll try avoiding checking a bag then

I'd be flying on a Tuesday and unfortunately have no global entry, but overall sounds good.

May even get to visit a lounge, if there is any decent one in SFO!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Danusa86
Thank you all.

I'll try avoiding checking a bag then

I'd be flying on a Tuesday and unfortunately have no global entry, but overall sounds good.

May even get to visit a lounge, if there is any decent one in SFO!
The Admirals Club is all you have for AA at SFO, but it's a very good one.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Originally Posted by ShortDog
The Admirals Club is all you have for AA at SFO, but it's a very good one.
The food at the restaurants in T2 are also very good. I particularly like the Japanese place.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Entry to a non-T2 terminal only OK when departing SFO

I was sad to learn yesterday that when departing SFO I can enter any terminal I want to access lounges, but when arriving SFO that is not permitted. E.g., when I fly AA out of SFO T2 I can still enter at T3 to use the AMEX Centurion Lounge. But when arriving on AA into SFO T2, no dice entering T3.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Originally Posted by pshuang
I was sad to learn yesterday that when departing SFO I can enter any terminal I want to access lounges, but when arriving SFO that is not permitted. E.g., when I fly AA out of SFO T2 I can still enter at T3 to use the AMEX Centurion Lounge. But when arriving on AA into SFO T2, no dice entering T3.
SFO is a weird one on that. I've gone to use the Admirals club in T2 when flying SW out of T1, because surprise...T1 has two sides (B/C)that aren't connected. The AA/DL side of T1(c) is connected to the AA/VX T2 terminal. T2 not connected to T3. T3 holds the centurion and UA, and is also connected to Intl G. AS, BA, CX, and QF fly out of Intl A, which is not connected to anything right now, but eventually will reconnect to T1/2....if construction ever ends.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pshuang
I've always though Centurion lounges were "departure" lounges. "The Centurion Lounge is a Day of Departure lounge requiring confirmed travel plans..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.