Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int値. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA operates out of both Terminal 2 (ticket counters, baggage check and carousels, curbside check-in, TSA, Pre-Check, Clear, Admirals Club), and gates only at Terminal 1 (linked airside, no ticket counters).

Link to AA SFO information page
Link to SFO Admirals Club Information
Link to AA SFO airport page
Link to official SFO airport page
Link to map with Terminal 2 concessions

Ticket counter: Terminal 2, Concourse D
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Admirals Club : After security, Terminal 2 (T2), Boarding Area D (open 04:15-00:15)

Gates
Terminal 2 Concourse D: 56A, 56B, 57, 58A, 58B
Terminal 1 Concourse C: 45A, 45B, and 47
These are connected by an airside corridor above and alongside the tarmac. The Admirals Club is in Terminal 2 after security; allow 5-15 minutes to gates (C gates are farther) depending on gate and mobility.

Baggage carousels: downstairs, Terminal 2

Animal relief area: landside lower level outside baggage claim, turn right and look for dog paws.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Other nuggets of info
SFO has two runway pairs:
10L/28R 11,870 ft 3,618 m Asphalt
10R/28L 11,381 3,469 Asphalt
and
1R/19L 8,650 2,637 Asphalt
1L/19R 7,650 2,332 Asphalt

These runways were designed and built with non-standard runway separation (centerlines of the parallel runways are only 750 feet / 230 m apart) Any time weather conditions affect SFO, ATC flow control is put into effect because only one runway of each runway pair can be used. This may mean delayed arrivals (and subsequent departures) as well as diversions (usually to SJC, but may include OAK).

A useful resource with links in the Wikipost is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Print Wikipost

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int値. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:21 am

You have to see if you have precheck on the connecting flight (it is on your ticket). But if you don't have a ticket yet, I'd guess "yes".

You don't actually know whether you would land at 936 though, and I don't think you can make it out that quickly (to get to South SF at 10?)
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
That sounds tight but doable if nothing goes wrong, if you have Pre Check you will have it on both BPs so still leaving the meeting in SF at 11 should get you to SFO ~1130. It should work but an accident or the like could mess things up
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
How many attendees from the SSF office? If small, have the meeting at the Adnirals Club conference room. Locals can obtain gate passes.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:26 am

SFO is tricky because the weather is not very cooperative. When the fog ceiling comes in and SFO has flow control, the ones who suffer are the shorter flights from nearby, mainly LAX. They'll put a ground stop on LAX flights to SFO so the big planes from elsewhere who are already in the sky can land.

I once had a 4 hour connection in SFO coming from LAX, LAX-SFO-HKG. I thought that was sufficient. There was a ground stop and we sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours. I made it in time to catch my connection, but it wasn't stress free.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:00 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
All good points. I was also just thinking that worst case if I miss the second flight they'd rebook me on the next available (not sure where the luggage goes meanwhile) and I could cool my heels in the Flagship lounge. Anyone know how full the SFO- JFK flights tend to be upfront? I guess if generally full that could derail my contingency.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
No Flagship Lounge at SFO - just the (nice) Admirals Club.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
It's very doable

I live in the South Bay about a 40 minute drive to SFO. I'm the type of flier who waits till the last minute to head to the airport. Often I leave my house 2 - hours before a domestic flight. I'm TSA Pre-Check. I have never missed a flight and often have 30 minutes to hang out in the Admiral Club. South City, is just 10 - 15 minutes away from SFO I don't see an issue here, even if you don't get TSA Pre-Check.

I have had Pre-Check printed on my connecting flight, but I can only say that as an international flier. I only fly domestic to JFK, connect to overseas. TSA Pre-check has always been printed on my connecting ticket when returning to the US.

Originally Posted by daveland
Landing in SFO at 9:36am from LAX connecting to a 12:30 transcon to JFK in F.

I need to make a meeting around 10 in South San Francisco for around an hour. To me, it seems easy to have my bag checked through, Uber to the meeting, head back around 11 and make the flight easy.

That said I'm not very familiar with SFO. Should this be fine? Will I have precheck on the connecting flight even though it's a connection?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Uber usually takes about 10 minutes from when you contact them, because they sit in a parking lot, like the taxis, away from the terminal. And it can be a long walk from the gate to the front. So I would say that you won't "arrive" at your meeting by 10am. But certainly by 10:15 as long as your flight is on time. But I would do the Admirals Club meeting idea, if I had a choice.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Would be a bold move. Don't think you'll be able to make 10 o'clock meeting. Report back and let us know.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another factor in LA- runway construction. Weather could be perfect, flight pushes back on time, then you sit wasting precious minutes waiting your turn to use the open runway.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I can't get the client to SFO as I need to see their facilities. The time isn't rigid, though and so if I got there 10:15 it would be fine. I'd let him know on arrival to SFO my timing.

Biggest question remains how easily I can get on the next flight SFO to JFK if I miss that segment. I assume easy enough thought maybe in a lower COS.

Ps: can I use the Flagship check in at LAX for an LAX-SFO-JFK flight in F?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Yes... if you are flying first class SFO - JFK you are suppose to have access to Flagship for your entire domestic journey...

This is what I have been told at LAX and JFK.

Originally Posted by daveland
I can't get the client to SFO as I need to see their facilities. The time isn't rigid, though and so if I got there 10:15 it would be fine. I'd let him know on arrival to SFO my timing.

Biggest question remains how easily I can get on the next flight SFO to JFK if I miss that segment. I assume easy enough thought maybe in a lower COS.

Ps: can I use the Flagship check in at LAX for an LAX-SFO-JFK flight in F?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Yes... if you are flying first class SFO - JFK you are suppose to have access to Flagship for your entire domestic journey...

This is what I have been told at LAX and JFK.
Awesome, thanks for the info, Radiant Flyer!
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
You might try standby for an hour earlier flight out of LAX ...
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by cyberjet
You might try standby for an hour earlier flight out of LAX ...
Interesting thought. I would have done the flight earlier except it causes an illegal connection >4 hours by about 15 minutes. I'm not sure if it's OK if you standby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.