Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA operates out of both Terminal 2 (ticket counters, baggage check and carousels, curbside check-in, TSA, Pre-Check, Clear, Admirals Club), and gates only at Terminal 1 (linked airside, no ticket counters).

Link to AA SFO information page
Link to SFO Admirals Club Information
Link to AA SFO airport page
Link to official SFO airport page
Link to map with Terminal 2 concessions

Ticket counter: Terminal 2, Concourse D
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Admirals Club : After security, Terminal 2 (T2), Boarding Area D (open 04:15-00:15)

Gates
Terminal 2 Concourse D: 56A, 56B, 57, 58A, 58B
Terminal 1 Concourse C: 45A, 45B, and 47
These are connected by an airside corridor above and alongside the tarmac. The Admirals Club is in Terminal 2 after security; allow 5-15 minutes to gates (C gates are farther) depending on gate and mobility.

Baggage carousels: downstairs, Terminal 2

Animal relief area: landside lower level outside baggage claim, turn right and look for dog paws.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Other nuggets of info
SFO has two runway pairs:
10L/28R 11,870 ft 3,618 m Asphalt
10R/28L 11,381 3,469 Asphalt
and
1R/19L 8,650 2,637 Asphalt
1L/19R 7,650 2,332 Asphalt

These runways were designed and built with non-standard runway separation (centerlines of the parallel runways are only 750 feet / 230 m apart) Any time weather conditions affect SFO, ATC flow control is put into effect because only one runway of each runway pair can be used. This may mean delayed arrivals (and subsequent departures) as well as diversions (usually to SJC, but may include OAK).

A useful resource with links in the Wikipost is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Print Wikipost

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
That's helpful.

Thank you all for your help.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Maximum bag drop time SFO domestic F

I am sorry if this is so well know a question that I ought to know the answer - or if my searching skills were not up to finding the answer already posted, but...

Is there a definite answer to the question whether I can drop off luggage early (say seven hours but the same day as the flight), having already checked in, at SFO for a domestic itinerary in F. I have heard/seen suggestions that there is a four hour time limit, before which bags will not be accepted.

Thanks a lot and again sorry if my searching abilities have not been up to this.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hsmall
I am sorry if this is so well know a question that I ought to know the answer - or if my searching skills were not up to finding the answer already posted, but...

Is there a definite answer to the question whether I can drop off luggage early (say seven hours but the same day as the flight), having already checked in, at SFO for a domestic itinerary in F. I have heard/seen suggestions that there is a four hour time limit, before which bags will not be accepted.

Thanks a lot and again sorry if my searching abilities have not been up to this.
Why would it be any different if you are flying domestic F? I mean I don't quite get what some people expect nowadays.

Per AA.com 45 minutes is the baggage acceptance cut-off and bags can be accepted at any time on same calendar day.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
deleted
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Why would it be any different if you are flying domestic F? I mean I don't quite get what some people expect nowadays.

Per AA.com 45 minutes is the baggage acceptance cut-off and bags can be accepted at any time on same calendar day.
It is not a case of expectations - it was a potentially relevant fact.

I can't find the bit about a calendar day anywhere on aa.com - do have a link? Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
It is not a case of expectations - it was a potentially relevant fact.

I can't find the bit about a calendar day anywhere on aa.com - do have a link? Thanks
Dunno does BA have different baggage acceptance times for different classes of service?

If you try going to the self-service kiosk a day prior to your scheduled departure, it will not accept your luggage. Any time the same calendar day will work.

Again the only distinction cabin of service has is the acceptable weight per bag and quantity allowed w/o being assessed any charges. You also get an orange priority tag, but in practice the fleet service clerks really don't pay attention and priority bags rarely come up first on the belt.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:38 am

Dunno does BA have different baggage acceptance times for different classes of service?
Yes

If you try going to the self-service kiosk a day prior to your scheduled departure, it will not accept your luggage. Any time the same calendar day will work.

Again the only distinction cabin of service has is the acceptable weight per bag and quantity allowed w/o being assessed any charges. You also get an orange priority tag, but in practice the fleet service clerks really don't pay attention and priority bags rarely come up first on the belt.
Priority tags are to satisfy premium passengers' egos IMHO.

The other info is useful thank you - though I still can't find anything relevant, myself, on aa.com.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:43 am

Yes

Priority tags are to satisfy premium passengers' egos IMHO.

The other info is useful thank you - though I still can't find anything relevant, myself, on aa.com.
No problem and I'm sorry if this came across as snarky. I know we had our exchanges on OMNI around Operation Protective Edge but welcome to the AA forum.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:02 am

No problem and I'm sorry if this came across as snarky. I know we had our exchanges on OMNI around Operation Protective Edge but welcome to the AA forum.
No prpb. I will report back.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The recent page on AA.com stated:

"Minimum time to check baggage

To help us get your bag on the same flight with you, present your bag to an airline representative for check-in no later than the cutoff time.

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:

Check bags at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure"

This does not vary with class of service; it may vary for a few specific airport.

The current page (link) is slightly more ambiguous:

"Minimum check-in times before scheduled departure

Check in by or before to avoid missing your flight

All airports have a minimum check-in time, whether you're checking bags or not. Times vary based on your trip.

Travel entirely within the U.S.

You must be checked in 45 minutes before scheduled departure.

Travel from these airports require more time:

San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) - 60 minutes
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) - 90 minutes

International travel

You must be checked in 60 minutes before scheduled departure. This includes trips starting in the U.S.

Example: International travel starting in the U.S. This content can be expanded

Beijing, China (PEK) - 75 minutes
Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) - 75 minutes
Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) - 90 minutes
Dublin, Ireland (DUB) - 75 minutes
Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) - 90 minutes"
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
The recent page on AA.com stated:

"Minimum time to check baggage

To help us get your bag on the same flight with you, present your bag to an airline representative for check-in no later than the cutoff time.

For flights within and between the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands:

Check bags at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure at LAX

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure"

This does not vary with class of service; it may vary for a few specific airport.

The current page (link) is slightly more ambiguous:

"Minimum check-in times before scheduled departure

Check in by or before to avoid missing your flight

All airports have a minimum check-in time, whether you're checking bags or not. Times vary based on your trip.

Travel entirely within the U.S.

You must be checked in 45 minutes before scheduled departure.

San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) - 60 minutes
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (STT) - 90 minutes

International travel

You must be checked in 60 minutes before scheduled departure. This includes trips starting in the U.S.

Example: International travel starting in the U.S. This content can be expanded

Beijing, China (PEK) - 75 minutes
Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) - 75 minutes
Caracas, Venezuela (CCS) - 90 minutes
Dublin, Ireland (DUB) - 75 minutes
Maracaibo, Venezuela (MAR) - 90 minutes"
None of this appears to answer the OP's question... It all refers to the latest time a bag can be checked, while the answer sought is the earliest time that a bag can be checked.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG

Last year, a colleague of mine checked in at SFO for an SFO-ORD flight and dropped his bags in the morning and then BARTed to the city and spent ~6 hours with me, so ~8 hours before flight, he dropped off his bags. No problem. Not sure if this is official policy but in this one specific case it worked fine. YMMV, I guess.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond
When connecting from the 50's gates (AA) to the 40's gates (US), do you need to go outside security or can you walk it inside security?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TWAL10114Ever
When connecting from the 50's gates (AA) to the 40's gates (US), do you need to go outside security or can you walk it inside security?
They're connected by a corridor just inside security.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Is there a definite answer to the question whether I can drop off luggage early (say seven hours but the same day as the flight)
I've never tried to check in that early at SFO and can't answer the question, but if you are turned down there is luggage storage available in the international terminal.

Baggage storage is exclusively available at the Airport Travel Agency, located on the Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the entrance to Gates G91-G102. The Airport Travel Agency is open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. No reservations are required for baggage storage. All baggage is x-rayed prior to storage. Rates are assessed per each 24 hour period that an article is in storage (articles in storage for less than 24 hours will be subject to the 24 hour rate), and vary according to the size of the object. Please contact the Airport Travel Agency at 650.877.0422 or [email protected] for additional information.
http://www.flysfo.com/faqs

I was with an FTer that stored a rollaboard here once and think it was around $16 for a few hours, so I wouldn't expect this service to be inexpensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.