Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

AA operates out of both Terminal 2 (ticket counters, baggage check and carousels, curbside check-in, TSA, Pre-Check, Clear, Admirals Club), and gates only at Terminal 1 (linked airside, no ticket counters).

Link to AA SFO information page
Link to SFO Admirals Club Information
Link to AA SFO airport page
Link to official SFO airport page
Link to map with Terminal 2 concessions

Ticket counter: Terminal 2, Concourse D
Daily: 3:30 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Admirals Club : After security, Terminal 2 (T2), Boarding Area D (open 04:15-00:15)

Gates
Terminal 2 Concourse D: 56A, 56B, 57, 58A, 58B
Terminal 1 Concourse C: 45A, 45B, and 47
These are connected by an airside corridor above and alongside the tarmac. The Admirals Club is in Terminal 2 after security; allow 5-15 minutes to gates (C gates are farther) depending on gate and mobility.

Baggage carousels: downstairs, Terminal 2

Animal relief area: landside lower level outside baggage claim, turn right and look for dog paws.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL

Other nuggets of info
SFO has two runway pairs:
10L/28R 11,870 ft 3,618 m Asphalt
10R/28L 11,381 3,469 Asphalt
and
1R/19L 8,650 2,637 Asphalt
1L/19R 7,650 2,332 Asphalt

These runways were designed and built with non-standard runway separation (centerlines of the parallel runways are only 750 feet / 230 m apart) Any time weather conditions affect SFO, ATC flow control is put into effect because only one runway of each runway pair can be used. This may mean delayed arrivals (and subsequent departures) as well as diversions (usually to SJC, but may include OAK).

A useful resource with links in the Wikipost is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html.
Print Wikipost

AA at SFO / San Francisco Int’l. Airport: questions, connections, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
In Feb I'll do SFO-LAX-SYD and I'm curious about thoughts/opinions on how much of a layover in LAX has the most appealing sets of trade-offs. The LAX-SYD departs at 9:50 PM. The equivalent Qantas flight departs LAX at 10:30 (the direct SFO-SYD does not run on this day). The 3 main options for SFO-LAX are:

6:45 PM - 8:21 PM on 738
5:15 PM - 6:57 PM on E75
4:00 PM - 5:27 PM on 319

In the case of weather are the small E75 planes more likely to get cancelled compared to larger planes? TIA.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by armus
In Feb I'll do SFO-LAX-SYD and I'm curious about thoughts/opinions on how much of a layover in LAX has the most appealing sets of trade-offs. The LAX-SYD departs at 9:50 PM. The equivalent Qantas flight departs LAX at 10:30 (the direct SFO-SYD does not run on this day). The 3 main options for SFO-LAX are:

6:45 PM - 8:21 PM on 738
5:15 PM - 6:57 PM on E75
4:00 PM - 5:27 PM on 319

In the case of weather are the small E75 planes more likely to get cancelled compared to larger planes? TIA.
After reading http://crankyflier.com/2016/06/30/ma...cerns-me-most/ I would actually vote for that 5:15pm E75 (well, I would've voted for it anyways as it gives you multiple backup options in case of issues).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:24 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Would be a bold move. Don't think you'll be able to make 10 o'clock meeting. Report back and let us know.
Well, I always like to share the info I get from an experience after the fact.

I actually had NO problem at all making this happen. Even landing at SFO 10 mins late, I called for an Uber on landing, was on my way by 10am and arrived in South San Francisco at 10:15. Stayed for an hour, left in a Lyft at 11:15 back to SFO and was through security by 11:35. Enjoyed a half hour before heading to the gate (where my flight was unfortunately then delayed for 2 hours in frustrating 15 minute increments).

Summary: it was very doable ... that said pretty much everything went right - no major delay on the first segment and no traffic around SFO.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
MCT domestic-domestic @ SFO

I've searched for this info, so if it's here somewhere I apologise!

I am flying AA0067 into SFO from JFK (in J) arriving 8:39PM on 3/9/17

I now need to be in LAX instead of SFO and because I am on an international restricted revenue ticket (connecting at JFK from CDG), it is likely cheaper for me to take an extra flight SFO-LAX. Last one out AA1824 (Alaskan) that night is 9:25PM.

So, here are my questions:

1. Would this be a legal connection (MCT)?
2. If I buy a Y ticket, even though it's a separate ticket, would my international bag allowance carry over?
3. Will my bags get checked through at CDG if I show the agent details of the last flight? (I know I have to take them through customs at JFK).
4. If it is legal and I misconnect will AA pay for a hotel and put me on a flight the following morning?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by bernardh
I've searched for this info, so if it's here somewhere I apologise!

I am flying AA0067 into SFO from JFK (in J) arriving 8:39PM on 3/9/17

I now need to be in LAX instead of SFO and because I am on an international restricted revenue ticket (connecting at JFK from CDG), it is likely cheaper for me to take an extra flight SFO-LAX. Last one out AA1824 (Alaskan) that night is 9:25PM.

So, here are my questions:

1. Would this be a legal connection (MCT)?
2. If I buy a Y ticket, even though it's a separate ticket, would my international bag allowance carry over?
3. Will my bags get checked through at CDG if I show the agent details of the last flight? (I know I have to take them through customs at JFK).
4. If it is legal and I misconnect will AA pay for a hotel and put me on a flight the following morning?
The AA area at SFO is relatively compact, no more than 3 or 4 mins walk between any gates, so if your JFK-SFO is on time you shouldn't have any issue. The MCT for domestic AA to AA is 30 mins, so you're OK there.

As of now AA will check your bags through and protect you in the event of a misconnect, but with all of the recent oneworld changes is this area that could change for AA as well by March.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The AA area at SFO is relatively compact, no more than 3 or 4 mins walk between any gates, so if your JFK-SFO is on time you shouldn't have any issue. The MCT for domestic AA to AA is 30 mins, so you're OK there.

As of now AA will check your bags through and protect you in the event of a misconnect, but with all of the recent oneworld changes is this area that could change for AA as well by March.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The OP's connecting flight would be operated by Alaska. Much of your information is incorrect, unfortunately.

Thank you for the quick reply.
If you can purchase the AS flight as an AA codeshare, you might well be able to through check and be protected, though you will be on two separate PNRs. If you purchase as AS you will certainly be on your own. As Alaska is the operating airline, you will have to go to the Alaska gates - meaning go landside, proceed to the International Terminal and clear security again.

American Airlines is located in Terminal 2, Boarding Area D, Gates 50-59.

Alaska Airlines is located in the International Terminal, Boarding Area A, Gates A1 through A12.

Exit AA terminal and look for signage; there are trains, though fast walk using the parking garage might be speedier; it is certainly not 3-4 minutes. See map here.

In neither case is AA likely to pay for overnight accommodation. (There are numerous hotels nearby with shuttle service, the closest being the Hampton Inn in Burlingame.)

Also see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aa-policy.html

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 23, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you can purchase the AS flight as an AA codeshare, you might well be able to through check and be protected, though you will be on two separate PNRs. If you purchase as AS you will certainly be on your own. As Alaska is the operating airline, you will have to go to the Alaska gates - meaning go landside and clear security again.

American Airlines is located in Terminal 2, Boarding Area D, Gates 50-59.

Alaska Airlines is located in the International Terminal, Boarding Area A, Gates A1 through A12.

Exit AA terminal and look for signage; there are trains, though fast walk using the parking garage might be speedier; it is certainly not 3-4 minutes. See map here.

In neither case is AA likely to pay for overnight accommodation. (There are numerous hotels nearby with shuttle service, the closest being the Hampton Inn in Burlingame.)
Thanks for the extra info. I suppose the only question is whether the codeshare means it meets MCT requirements from AA's perspective. Any idea?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:43 am

Thanks for the extra info. I suppose the only question is whether the codeshare means it meets MCT requirements from AA's perspective. Any idea?

minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
OFFLINE .50 1.00 1.45 1.45
** OR * ARE ALL
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 1000 - 1999
OPN -15SEP16
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 4000 - 4799
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 6000 - 6999
AA-AS DD .30 FLT 1 - 6099 - FLT 8000 - 8999
AA-AS DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
AA-AS DD 1.15
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 1000 - 1999 OPN -15SEP16
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 4000 - 4799
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 6000 - 6999
**-AS DD SUP ALL - FLT 8000 - 8999
**-AS DD 1.15
AA-** DD SUP FLT 6100 - 9099 - ALL
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The "AA1824 (Alaskan)" had me confused. If it was an Alaska flight (i.e., AS1824) then it's not oneworld and none of the misconnect policies would apply even today, but based on the schedule I see it looks like "AA1824 (American)" or simply "AA1824" was intended.

If you're flying AA121 / AA67 then I'd be more concerned about an eventual illegal MCT in JFK due to a schedule change. My impression is that the 5 PMish JFK-SFO used to be AA85, but AA85 got shifted later and AA67 was put in its place at 5 PM. Fairly soon (today, or a week from today, I forget) AA67 shifts earlier to 4:30 PM. This change may have yet to propagate to future dates. I try to use more recent schedules as a preview of what AA might eventually use in the far future, but for AA121 the current 1:20p-4p is ~1.5 hours shorter than the 11:35a-3:35p scheduled for March (mostly explained by differences in daylight saving?).

So, the real question might be whether AA, when shown both bookings, will rebook you direct JFK-LAX if/when there's a schedule change that causes an illegal MCT in JFK and/or SFO (the latter triggered by being put on a later flight AA 167 to correct for the former). I can't speak to the letter of the law (and AA167 is just below 90 min later than AA67 so some policies won't apply), but my hunch is that there's a better than even chance that by the third call you'll eventually find an agent that will do it (or perhaps route you through ORD to get to SFO at a similar time). These days it seems like it takes 3 calls even when policy does apply.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The OP's connecting flight would be operated by Alaska. Much of your information is incorrect, unfortunately.
As mentioned above, AA1824 is the last AA metal flight of the day from SFO-LAX.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:58 am

You're correct. If it's AA operated by AA, it should be a short, short gate to gate walk within the 50-59 area. I got thrown off by the "Alaskan" after the flight number, but that flight number would imply its AA operated. I missed that possibility.

armus may have the best solution. If the flights currently booked change significantly, bernardh might be able to get rebooked to LAX. A bit of a challenge and maybe requiring a HUCA or three, but I've been able to do similar changes on rare occasion.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by armus
The "AA1824 (Alaskan)" had me confused. If it was an Alaska flight (i.e., AS1824) then it's not oneworld and none of the misconnect policies would apply even today, but based on the schedule I see it looks like "AA1824 (American)" or simply "AA1824" was intended.
Mmm. Well my intention of putting 'Alaskan' sic in brackets was to highlight the operating airline. However, I have just checked with AA and it seems it's AA operated so I have mislead you all. Apologies!

I don't believe I will have an issue with misconnect at JFK as I am on AA45 which gets in ~4h ahead of the (current) departure time of AA67.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mmm. Well my intention of putting 'Alaskan' sic in brackets was to highlight the operating airline. However, I have just checked with AA and it seems it's AA operated so I have mislead you all. Apologies!

I don't believe I will have an issue with misconnect at JFK as I am on AA45 which gets in ~4h ahead of the (current) departure time of AA67.
I'd book it without hesitation. Since your flight isn't until March '17, there's a high likelihood of a schedule change anyways on one or both of the flights. If that happens you could always try to switch to an earlier JFK-SFO flight, or possibly a JFK-LAX nonstop if you get a good AAgent.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
FYI - the last SFO-LAX flight is usually a LUS 321 (and that's what shows on the schedule at the moment for 3/9/17) which means it would probably leave from the LUS gates in T1. Airside connector, 5 min. walk from T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.