Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Probably the agent still had ur account up
On his/her screen when they took a subsequent call where the person was redeeming miles. Happened to me a few times with SWU usage.
And that should be easy for them to see as it would be the next transaction from the same agent.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mvoight
And that should be easy for them to see as it would be the next transaction from the same agent.
Yes, providing you get an agent that will accept a mistake has been made, willing to take the steps to find out how to fix the problem, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, actually take those steps.

Today the first move is to explain how we do not understand what has happened and their systems do not allow mistakes to happen.

Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:33 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the past several days I've noted several "glitches" with AA:
(1)I was upg JFK-LAS, the seat map showed me in 5A, in the upg area it shows n/a. I received NO email informing me about the upg. I just completed the flight and DID sit in 5A.
(2)I purchased JFK-ZRH-JFK, wait listed JFK-ZRH (for an SWU), confirmed for an SWU ZRH-JFK. 12 hours later NO email confirming my ticket, I called, they (re?) sent me my ticket confirmation. On AA.COM my itn details is missing several areas (which appear on other reservations), PRICE and some pax detail (like pp#) is missing.
Is this a preview of BAD things yet to come?
PS: I'm looking at several future trips, I can print trip info, but I can`t print itn showing TICKET number; the "print" option just prints the flt info--there USED to be an option to print receipt.

Last edited by nrr; Sep 10, 2016 at 5:50 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by nrr
PS: I'm looking at several future trips, I can print trip info, but I can`t print itn showing TICKET number; the "print" option just prints the flt info--there USED to be an option to print receipt.
One way to get e-ticket info and be able to print the e-ticket is to use TripCase, create a new itin, and link your AA PNR to it. That should show everything as it is in Sabre. Look at the trip, click "Documents" at the top center, and you should see the e-tickets (as well as the "arranger itinerary" which shows waitlisted segments).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
In the past several days I've noted several "glitches" with AA:
(1)I was upg JFK-LAS, the seat map showed me in 5A, in the upg area it shows n/a. I received NO email informing me about the upg. I just completed the flight and DID sit in 5A.
(2)I purchased JFK-ZRH-JFK, wait listed JFK-ZRH (for an SWU), confirmed for an SWU ZRH-JFK. 12 hours later NO email confirming my ticket, I called, they (re?) sent me my ticket confirmation. On AA.COM my itn details is missing several areas (which appear on other reservations), PRICE and some pax detail (like pp#) is missing.
Is this a preview of BAD things yet to come?
I noticed the same thing you mention in your PS ..I started a thread and it does seem there is definitely no print receipt function anymore, and the tripcase seems to be the most promising
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:42 am

Someone Logged Into my Account and Booked a Redemption

Back in August, someone logged into my account & booked a flight, costing roughly 40,000 miles.

I did not book the trip. No one else has access to my account, so they basically hacked into my account.

The day it happened, I got an email, and then, shocked, immediately called American Airlines. After being connected between multiple people (they were confused) they eventually said they would investigate it. I changed my password and username, etc.

I have now called 2 times since then to check in. I called October 10th and they said "oh it's still pending, not sure why, I'll let them know you called to check in."

Today I called again and the AAdvantage person talked to their supervisor. They said they were "still investigating" it! They also mentioned that there was a $75 charge for the redemption on a credit card in my name, which is incorrect because I don't have a card ending in the 4 digits they mentioned to me.

At this point I don't know what to do. I've e-mailed and called, and when I called in October, the representative said he could only check in on it every month, and not put in any more inquiries in between then.

While this is certainly making me lose a ton of faith in AA as a company, as it's been 3 months with no resolution, I still want my miles back, and I'm pissed. What can I do to escalate this further? Anything?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, United Gold IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nonstopski
Back in August, someone logged into my account & booked a flight, costing roughly 40,000 miles.

I did not book the trip. No one else has access to my account, so they basically hacked into my account.

The day it happened, I got an email, and then, shocked, immediately called American Airlines. After being connected between multiple people (they were confused) they eventually said they would investigate it. I changed my password and username, etc.

I have now called 2 times since then to check in. I called October 10th and they said "oh it's still pending, not sure why, I'll let them know you called to check in."

Today I called again and the AAdvantage person talked to their supervisor. They said they were "still investigating" it! They also mentioned that there was a $75 charge for the redemption on a credit card in my name, which is incorrect because I don't have a card ending in the 4 digits they mentioned to me.

At this point I don't know what to do. I've e-mailed and called, and when I called in October, the representative said he could only check in on it every month, and not put in any more inquiries in between then.

While this is certainly making me lose a ton of faith in AA as a company, as it's been 3 months with no resolution, I still want my miles back, and I'm pissed. What can I do to escalate this further? Anything?
Were the tickets booked in your name? What was the date of travel and were the tickets cancelled?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Did you check the name on the reservation? at least you will know who did it.

Did you try with DOT? or at least BBB?.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they're saying that someone used a credit card in your name that you're not aware of, I would check your credit report and try to find out about that account. You might have a bigger identity theft problem than your AA account.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The details here really matter. If someone booked a ticket in your name using a CC in your name, and you did not fly the ticket and it is not your CC, there is a much broader identity theft issue.

Was the ticket in your name?
Was the CC used in your name?
Did you cancel the ticket?
If the CC was in your name, have you notified the CC issuer?
Have you notified your local law enforcement?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm not too sure of CCs actually checking the name of the card, at least to a great degree of detail. I have made purchases using other names and not one got bounced. But yes, if the account used is under the OP's name, then there is a much bigger problem. AA is pretty good about sniffing out fraud, unfortunately the OP may the first person of interest regardless of being the one to report it.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The details here really matter. If someone booked a ticket in your name using a CC in your name, and you did not fly the ticket and it is not your CC, there is a much broader identity theft issue.

Was the ticket in your name?
Was the CC used in your name?
Did you cancel the ticket?
If the CC was in your name, have you notified the CC issuer?
Have you notified your local law enforcement?
(bolding mine)
^^
All really good questions and good advice.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
(bolding mine)
^^
All really good questions and good advice.
Not booked in my name.
It was canceled. I believe the AAdvantage team did that for me when I called originally.

There was no credit card used in my Name. I confirmed this.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:04 pm

Not booked in my name.
It was canceled. I believe the AAdvantage team did that for me when I called originally.

There was no credit card used in my Name. I confirmed this.
Excellent.

Glad it worked out for you.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well then that certainly begs the question of why they haven't returned the miles to you yet...
Maybe send a snail mail letter to Doug Parker's office, and someone from the executive staff can push the "investigation" along?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.