Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt that the Target database included the OP's pet's name unless it was used as a password.
Could be one of the extra security questions that websites ask you for.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 110pgl
All those silly questions do is frustrate me. Especially when the answer changes over time. Such as "the name of your favorite restaurant". That can change overnight depending upon where I go to eat. Plus, having a large family the traditional questions like mother's maiden name is easily known by many or available from many sources. Fortunately they have no means to make sure I answer those questions with the truth. No one is going to guess Mamma James as the name of my high school.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Extra security questions being one of the most vulnerable parts of typical online account security. By their nature, they get reused. The best password in the world won't protect you if the company allows your password to be reset by answering relatively easy questions like that. Email and snail mail (uncommon for most accounts include airline ones, but my bank does snail mail notifications for password changes) notifications of password changes help with that (as long as the contact information is up to date and the email gets read!). Two-factor authentication for things like password resets is better.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No one is going to guess Mamma James as the name of my high school.
Unless they're reading this forum!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ashill
,,,Unless they're reading this forum!
... and they would still be wrong.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by ashill
Extra security questions being one of the most vulnerable parts of typical online account security. By their nature, they get reused. The best password in the world won't protect you if the company allows your password to be reset by answering relatively easy questions like that.
I use passwords as responses to those as well. My favorite color?

Ka&%$46SaaYx$&765

Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:45 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Social Security (when you set up your acct. on line), uses the name of you first "stuffed animal" as one of them.
[The first time I set up my acct. it rejected my choice--how did they know its name.]
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I use passwords as responses to those as well. My favorite color?

Ka&%$46SaaYx$&765

Agree 100%.

The concept of these "security questions" reduce real security in order to placate morons. Even if one does not want to use a full password, at least respond with non personal data.

I once had a case where the site was "verifying" my selected answers. They asked me for my mother's birthday, I entered 17/43/3017. It rejected it as invalid. How f'ing stupid.

Even worse, IMO, was when some companies started asking questions based on data trawling (as opposed used selected answers). "When did you get your first mortgage" type idiocy. These questions could be answered better by a hacker than the real person.

BTW: Did OP ever get an email to his original email account that his account was being changed? That failure would be a serious screwup.

Last edited by exwannabe; Sep 16, 2015 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Agree 100%.

The concept of these "security questions" reduce real security in order to placate morons. Even if one does not want to use a full password, at least respond with non personal data.

I once had a case where the site was "verifying" my selected answers. They asked me for my mother's birthday, I entered 17/43/3017. It rejected it as invalid. How f'ing stupid.

Even worse, IMO, was when some companies started asking questions based on data trawling (as opposed used selected answers). "When did you get your first mortgage" type idiocy. These questions could be answered better by a hacker than the real person.

BTW: Did OP ever get an email to his original email account that his account was being changed? That failure would be a serious screwup.
Each year you can get (from each of the 3 credit reporting agencies) your credit report. One step in the request process, you have to answer "questions" (in a multiple choice format); one such choice "apply for an XXX credit card in 2012"--I did apply for an XXX credit card, but I did NOT remember the year; so if it was 2011, I should NOT have "checked" that selection.
Two step acct. log-in has much more security than what AA and most other on merchants now use.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thank you Jerry as this answers the first question.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:37 pm

Yes, on using fake answers to the questions. And vary the answers for each site. A password manager is a useful way to keep track of the various answers you gave to the questions. My first pet has a number of very awkward names.

+1 on two-factor authentication.

Of course, none of this is worth much if the organization you gave your information to is sloppy about security. I'm looking at a certain insurance company that let my unencrypted personal data be stolen.

Last edited by MrTemporal; Sep 16, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by kmersh
Or just good Googling, last year the nurse told a patient that Dr. KMersh will be in to see you in a few minutes and as I entered the room the patient's wife had already Googled, Dr. Kmersh and had obtained my full CV, moved on to find out my Wife's name and her full CV, it was impressive and scary all wrapped up in one, the patient's Wife even knew about a fund raiser that my Wife and I had attended and commented that it looked like a lot of fun.

Granted, she did not (or at least I do not think she did) know my dogs name or any other info on me, but I guess someone devoted enough could probably get almost anything.
Google can provide a lot of info. We occasionally hear about hacks into celebrity email/twitter accounts, which presumably use predictable combinations. On the other hand, to hack my AAdvantage account, you will need more info than you can Google. For me, however, there have been people who travel on the same itinerary as me, and might have that itinerary in their email containing Aadvantage numbers. Some of those individuals might even be characterized as former SO's who know enough to figure out those predictable combinations. For example, logging into the home wifi used to have a certain predictable combination that was in similar format to other passwords. No longer ... in my case and this situation is a reminder about password security for all of us. Unfortunately, the ongoing complexity of password security leads us to write them down ... which leads to less security, but I digress.

In any event, logic suggests that someone closer to us would be more likely to be aware of the information to get into our accounts than a random googler. I suspect those who investigate issues like this might have reached the same conclusion.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:38 am

Granted, I do not have a dog in the fight and I admit that, but I am still bothered by American Airlines tone with regards to the victim. In the case here and in the case of my Colleague, I would have liked to see American take the position of we will get you back your miles, it may take some time while we do our investigation but rest assured we have your back.

Instead the messages seems to be, everyone is guilty in our eyes and you have to prove to us that you are innocent before we begin to help you. It would seem to me that unless one is in such need of attention that even negative attention is desired, why would one lie about their miles being stolen when they did something nefarious with them instead? That at least to my brain just does not make sense.

It smells of another security group that I am less than fond of who takes the stance that you are guilty until proven innocent, rather than innocent until prove
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
...Unfortunately, the ongoing complexity of password security leads us to write them down ... which leads to less security, but I digress....
Check out lastpass or some other password app. They'll store passwords (highly encrypted), generate secure passwords, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:48 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
AA has acknowledged receipt of the police report and has asked me to sign an affidavit stating various things, e.g. I don't know the ticket users, the brokerage, etc., which I have done. Account still locked.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
AA has acknowledged receipt of the police report and has asked me to sign an affidavit stating various things, e.g. I don't know the ticket users, the brokerage, etc., which I have done. Account still locked.
Hopefully, this will be the light at the end of this bad tunnel you are in.

Keep the faith!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.