Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well then that certainly begs the question of why they haven't returned the miles to you yet...
I agree-- something really screwy here.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well then that certainly begs the question of why they haven't returned the miles to you yet...
Maybe send a snail mail letter to Doug Parker's office, and someone from the executive staff can push the "investigation" along?
Maybe I missed that. I assumed canceled and returned the miles. (My bad for assuming.)

Of course, if it was treated as a normal canceled mileage ticket for some reason, you need to call and have the miles put back into your account.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global321
Maybe I missed that. I assumed canceled and returned the miles. (My bad for assuming.)

Of course, if it was treated as a normal canceled mileage ticket for some reason, you need to call and have the miles put back into your account.
I think you missed that too
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I agree-- something really screwy here.

hence why the hell I am so angry.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Excellent.

Glad it worked out for you.

It didn't work out for me. I am missing 75,000 miles.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nonstopski
Sorry - as noted above, I missed that. What is the current status?

Many have reported getting help from JonNYC. He may be able to help you.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Question

Back in August, someone logged into my account & booked a flight, costing roughly 40,000 miles.
Can you clarify?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended

And, regardless, PM me and let's see if it can't be pieced together-- unless maybe by some chance it already is sorted?

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Fraud: 220K miles stolen...now having trouble getting them back! (to merge)

Ouch. So my AA account got hacked on Sunday 8/13. Got an email alerting me that miles were used to book a ticket. Didn't look right and by the time I called AA just minutes later, I found out that three trips had been booked - one of which was actively in the air. All were tickets were booked using a different credit card (not mine as I don't keep one on file ever) but wiped out my miles.

Spoke to a couple of different phone agents that day that assured me all would be OK...I was lucky to catch it so fast...blah blah. Called back on Monday per their request to talk to Customer Service and go through the process of getting a new AA number and set up a new profile. Went through the questionable PNRs again and validated everything.

Heard nothing back all last week. Called again yesterday as I was a little surprised that the miles for the two trips that were not yet flown and were still not back in my account. Was told now that their policy is that the investigation could take up to 6 months to complete and no, I could not speak to anyone to get a little more clarity.

Wanting to book a trip in a month or two for my family with the miles, but obviously now am in a holding pattern. Not sure if there is a logical next step I should take. Thoughts??
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Ouch. So my AA account got hacked on Sunday 8/13. Got an email alerting me that miles were used to book a ticket. Didn't look right and by the time I called AA just minutes later, I found out that three trips had been booked - one of which was actively in the air. All were tickets were booked using a different credit card (not mine as I don't keep one on file ever) but wiped out my miles.

Spoke to a couple of different phone agents that day that assured me all would be OK...I was lucky to catch it so fast...blah blah. Called back on Monday per their request to talk to Customer Service and go through the process of getting a new AA number and set up a new profile. Went through the questionable PNRs again and validated everything.

Heard nothing back all last week. Called again yesterday as I was a little surprised that the miles for the two trips that were not yet flown and were still not back in my account. Was told now that their policy is that the investigation could take up to 6 months to complete and no, I could not speak to anyone to get a little more clarity.

Wanting to book a trip in a month or two for my family with the miles, but obviously now am in a holding pattern. Not sure if there is a logical next step I should take. Thoughts??
First of all, I'm sorry about this as it could happen to any of us. One thing you should do is contact your credit cards, banks, brokerage firms etc and see if there have been any odd charges.

6 months for an investigation? That too me seems too long. I would book the holiday using cash now and see if you get the miles back.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Good news is that nothing else seems to be hit, just this one AA account. Yes, 6 months is my point. I don't have the cash to book as I will be using my miles to book international business class for a 2018 trip. Problem is...might not have the answer back before the available flights are gone.

Anyone have a plan of attack that I have not thought of? A public twitter post was going to be a potential next step.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Make a Police Report, but then the Cops would tell you it is a civil crime so fine a case in Small claims, and the Judge would put the case on hold, because the defendant would not show..

Is this someone fault that everyone has special rights....
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by satman40
Make a Police Report, but then the Cops would tell you it is a civil crime so fine a case in Small claims, and the Judge would put the case on hold, because the defendant would not show..

Is this someone fault that everyone has special rights....
The police report about someone hacking into your account and using them to get a mileage award is definitely not a civil case. I encourage you to do so as it is reporting criminal activity by the hacker.

Keep in mind, someone got your info from somewhere .... think about if it was random, targeted, or by someone that knows you. Two factor authentication is your friend.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:52 pm
Suspended

...so fine a case in Small claims, and the Judge would put the case on hold, because the defendant would not show..
Against whom, exactly??

...Is this someone fault that everyone has special rights....
Nicely put.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:09 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
FWIW, my one experience with this was years ago. I noticed 25K missing from my account. It showed that miles were used for LBB-DFW round trip. By the time I noticed it, the trip had already been flown.

First of all, I would never cash in miles for such a short trip. Also, I had no reason to go to LBB.

As it ends up, someone whose (name or account number) was similar to mine had appeared at the ticket counter in LBB and cashed in miles for a trip. They thought they were using their own miles. The AAgent made a simple mistake when looking up the account to pull the miles.

They fixed the issue within a matter of days. Perhaps it even took just hours. All I'm saying is that it could possibly be a fat-finger typing error, instead of a premeditated crime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.