Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines AAdvantage accounts being invaded, taken over or compromised resulting in theft of awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

For issues about account freezes or closures, airline accusations of fraud against the AAdvantage programm and the like please see: Account audit / fraud: award / miles / SWU / VIP sale, barter, etc (consolidated).

If you find your account has been breached or have unexplained activity such as awards you did not arrange, contact AA immediately to protect and gain control over your account and to be made whole.

To help protect your account, be sure
  • Have a strong, protected and secure password
  • check your account periodically
  • be aware and keep track of your transactions
  • control or destroy documents such as boarding passes
  • use antivirus software- if your personal computer is hacked they can gain control of your AA account
  • Be very wary of logging into your account on public computers, like at internet cafés or the hotel business center, where keystroke loggers could be installed

If your email information is correct in aa.com, changes to your account should be sent to you as follows (even if someone changes your email address, though it's of no help if someone pirates your email account):

Dear JDiver,

Thanks for visiting AA.com. This email confirms that your account has been updated as follows.

Your contact information has been updated, but is not included in this e-mail for the security of your account.

If you did not change your contact information or if you have any concerns about your account, please contact aa.com Web Services.

If you have unsubscribed to one of our email products, we will remove your address from our mailing list as soon as possible. Please be aware that you may continue to receive emails for up to 10 business days.

If you have subscribed to AA email products and are not receiving them, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may use filters to prevent unwanted emails from reaching your inbox. Sometimes, these filters also block messages you want to receive. In most cases, adding us to your list of trusted senders will solve this issue. In AOL, select "Add Address"; in Yahoo! Mail, Outlook or Outlook Express select "Add To Address Book"; or Hotmail or MSN, select "Save Address(es)". If you need further assistance, contact your ISP's technical support department and ask how to "whitelist" emails from AA.

AA.com
American Airlines
Print Wikipost

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by lov2fly
I'll bet you lunch that the person staying in the room booked the reservation through a third party for a cheap rate and will be "shocked" that the reservation is not legit.
He said in the OP that the reservation was through AAVacations using his miles.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by lov2fly
This probably should go into this thread:

Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards taken, etc. (link)

Supermarigm - you're not the first person this has happened to, and unfortunately - not the first person who has had this experience....
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It's food you were signed up for the email alerts; obviously, they're working for the new account as well (I always get a password change alert when I change my password).

AA will undoubtedly transfer your existing miles to your new account. They do want a police report to formalize the issue; though police won't do anything, AA has had too many sell or issue awards and then tell AA it was theft they want that small extra bit of assurance, I suspect.

As to the hotel, presumably AA Vacations might cancel, but they might not. Having your information used to secure a travel and stay on AA Vacations as well - a separate company from American Airlines - makes this a bit different than someone breaching your AA account. You decide if you want to be out in the position of keeping track if someone checks in to "your" hotel room or not (to which the local cops might not respond, and the guest may have been given or sold the stay by the actual malefactor) or choose to contact the property to cancel and leave the guest without a room (and car if you contact the rental company?).

Just in case: once your trip is over and your miles have hit your account, destroy boarding passes. Be sure your frequent flyer number and name are secured; I've found discarded boarding passes in lounges, on airport floors, in seat back pockets... a nice gift to scam artists.

I know it's frustrating to have this happen, but persist, work with Corporate Security and things will be made right. @JonNYC #JonNYC

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 12, 2017 at 10:49 am Reason: Seeing which works best - mention or tag
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Your local department does not have jurisdiction in Florida where the crime is occurring. They were correct to have you contact a Florida department to file the report.
Originally Posted by guv1976
There's more than one crime occurring here.

Once someone hacked the OP's account, a crime occurred -- even before any miles were redeemed.
That's what I was thinking too. The original crime is stealing the points/miles. Seems like a form of identity theft (akin to someone stealing a credit card and using your credit to purchase things).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It's food you were signed up for the email alerts; obviously, they're working for the new account as well (I always get a password change alert when I change my password).

AA will undoubtedly transfer your existing miles to your new account. They do want a police report to formalize the issue; though police won't do anything, AA has had too many sell or issue awards and then tell AA it was theft they want that small extra bit of assurance, I suspect.

As to the hotel, presumably AA Vacations might cancel, but they might not. Having your information used to secure a travel and stay on AA Vacations as well - a separate company from American Airlines - makes this a bit different than someone breaching your AA account. You decide if you want to be out in the position of keeping track if someone checks in to "your" hotel room or not (to which the local cops might not respond, and the guest may have been given or sold the stay by the actual malefactor) or choose to contact the property to cancel and leave the guest without a room (and car if you contact the rental company?).

Just in case: once your trip is over and your miles have hit your account, destroy boarding passes. Be sure your frequent flyer number and name are secured; I've found discarded boarding passes in lounges, on airport floors, in seat back pockets... a nice gift to scam artists.

I know it's frustrating to have this happen, but persist, work with Corporate Security and things will be made right. @JonNYC #JonNYC
I'm almost always required to submit boarding passes with reimbursement requests.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by guv1976
There's more than one crime occurring here.

Once someone hacked the OP's account, a crime occurred -- even before any miles were redeemed.
While true, I can still see them forwarding the OP to the other jurisdiction if they find the hack originated out of state.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
That's what I was thinking too. The original crime is stealing the points/miles. Seems like a form of identity theft (akin to someone stealing a credit card and using your credit to purchase things).
Simply using a password to enter an online account in the US is a pretty severe federal crime in the US (really more than it should be), so you have a clear crime before the account is even used:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...sword_sharing/
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
This is strange. I went to the option to change my password. It wanted 3 questions answered:

Year of birth
Number of siblings
Name of high school

So, it would seem someone has access to the answers to your security questions.
You said you've changed them after the first event, so it very odd that someone would have gotten in again a short time later
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by mvoight
This is strange. I went to the option to change my password. It wanted 3 questions answered:

Year of birth
Number of siblings
Name of high school

So, it would seem someone has access to the answers to your security questions.
You said you've changed them after the first event, so it very odd that someone would have gotten in again a short time later
I don't want to jump to conclusions and be "that guy" but I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing. Too many things just aren't adding up.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
To the OP: The local police may not have the resources or want to investigate but they don't have a choice regarding taking a report. I presume AA wants this to verify that you are committed to your position as making a false police report would be criminal.

From other posts, I haven't heard of being assigned a new Aadvantage number. Is that normal?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not suggesting that OP is anything but the victim here, but all too many people are more than willing to fraudulently report their accounts hacked and points/miles used when they would never think of falsely reporting to law enforcement.

While nothing is certain, many businesses believe that frauds are cut down when customers report to law enforcement even when law enforcement does nothing about the report. You are issued an incident # or something like that and that is all AA cares about.

All of this occurred this morning and not even one day has passed. Unless there is more to this story, I would bet that OP will have his miles back and in his new account.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:04 pm

Have you asked if you can be assigned a new AAdvantage number?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Quick question - where do you sign up for alerts on AA to be notified if you've made a password/email change? I do not see that option, so clearly I'm looking in the wrong place.

ETA - Nevermind. I updated one thing to see what would happen, and it triggered an email alert.

Last edited by aquamarinesteph; Oct 12, 2017 at 12:38 pm Reason: Figured it out for myself...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
I don't want to jump to conclusions and be "that guy" but I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing. Too many things just aren't adding up.
I will mention my security answers are NOT the real answers to those questions, so that makes it impossible to know what my answers are.

This story sounds unusual in that someone did this twice in a few hours.
Odd, since they would know the owner knows his account was hacked when they were unable to access the account after he changed the info after the first hack.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

My guess is that the password was not hacked twice but instead the original hacker changed the password twice and that the emails are misleading due to the time of their receipt. I'm getting delays of several hours lately on some pretty straightforward AA emails.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Or the hacker knowns OP's information? or once it was hacked the first time, he took a look the activity and with that information he was able to reset the password (again) by just calling AA Advantage CS?.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.