Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Airbus A321-200 ETOPS / 321H / A321H to Replace Hawaii Boeing 757-223s

A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of A321s with 159 in service, 60 on order. These will replace Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All A321s in fleet and order are technically 32B aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™, giving a range of 3,200 nm.

FWAAA: ...this will be a sub-fleet of 16 321H, presumably with the optional extra fuel tanks (total of 7,935 US gal).
321H: This particular two class A321 variant is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on West Coast-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load and some Hawai'i runway restrictions, some flights have been load and balance restricted / affected (LIH in particular has weight and cross-wind restrictions that can cause ticketed passengers to be "bumped" or occasionally diverted to HNL). These will ultimately be replaced by ETOPS rated Airbus A321neo aircraft.

321S: F16, XE35, Y130.

Seating is pretty much the same as the 321S for non-premium transcon service. See posts from TWA884 and FWAAA (#176 on) for IFE box and seat peculiarities.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra*" seats with extra leg room
  • In flight WiFi by GoGo (works only within 90 miles of USA mainland)
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller
    . . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)
*: Whilst seats 13 A-B-C are Main Cabin Extra, 13 D-E-F are standard (non-MCE) seats.

Current AA "domestic" WiFi by GoGo as on this aircraft relies on cellular telephony, which restricts operation to within ~90 miles of land.

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

Note about flight changes and seat numeration between 757 and 321H /S:
  • 757 F seats are AB, EF
  • A321H F seats are AC, DF
If you a re flying to Hawai'i on a 757:
  • 24 F seats with 52 MCE and 108 "Main Cabin" indicates a LAA 757-223.
  • 14 F recliner seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US / America West 757-2S7 (these are being retired and replaced by 757-2B7)
  • 12 F seats with old "Envoy" seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US Airways ("East") 757-2B7 (these are replacing the 757-2S7s to Hawaii)
See here for LUS 757-200 to / from Hawaii thread.

321H replacement of LUS Boeing 752s occurred after Sep 2016 Flight Operations Systems integration.

Updated Oct 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Arsey00
But to be honest, I'd rather sit upright on the 757 than the 32B. Seat has more squash factor, and there are 2 F loos.
Two convenient loos, but still only one F loo. The lav at door 2 belongs to steerage.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Does this have anything to do with AA's recent announcement of delaying deliveries of the A320 family planes (which I believe were mostly slated to be A321s)?
My guess would be no. As those delayed deliveries are from the 320 NEO orders. Which were originally suppose to start delivery in 2017 IIRC. Moreover, the 321B is still operating these flights until November? Or has that changed as well? Maybe they are using the 757s for the winter schedule because of the heavier winds during that time period. There's a reduction in 757 European flying during that time period. So this frees up the aircraft type.

Last edited by Fanjet; Jun 22, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
I don't believe its due to the ETOPS issue as the A32B still appears on the schedule for LAX-HNL in August/September. Its either a temporary glitch in the schedule, we've seen plenty of those over the years, or the 757s will remain on LAX-Hawai'i for the winter due to the wind. I know AA wants/needs to dump the LUS Hawai'i 757s due to their advanced age/maintenance. They are still scheduled to leave next year if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Flight 267 on 10/29 (LAX to HNL) is now listed as a 32B. Flight 162 on 11/4 (HNL to LAX) is again showing as a 32B.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Flight AA265 (LAX-LIH) on 2/6 now shows 32B, as well as AA270 (HNL-LAX) on 2/12. I don't see 757's to other islands either during this timeframe. The schedules for all LAX-HI flights must have been updated with 32B's...

Cheers.

Last edited by msv777; Jun 28, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Final date for LAA 757s to Hawai'i from LAX is November 4. As of right now, it appears 15 seats on all A321 flights from LAX to Hawai'i are blocked off, even HNL/KOA.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msv777
Flight AA265 (LAX-LIH) on 2/6 now shows 32B, as well as AA270 (HNL-LAX) on 2/12. I don't see 757's to other islands either during this timeframe. The schedules for all LAX-HI flights must have been updated with 32B's...

Cheers.
Yes came through onto my BA-stock booking a few minutes ago
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Specifically, not just "32B", which is (other than for AA) a generic term referring to all A321 aircraft equipped with Sharklets wingtip devices, but a subfleet of A321H with added fuel capacity and rated for ETOPS.

Time to play "musical seats" for November bookings originally selected for 757 seating, it sounds like.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JDiver
....Time to play "musical seats" for November bookings originally selected for 757 seating, it sounds like.
I had to do that for late Oct. and early Nov. bookings.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I've just played musical seats as well. Firstly my flights were 757, then 321, back to 757, now both back to 321 again - this is January.
They're trying to seat me in 3B - it doesn't exist. Tried to change to 3C - confirmed as 4C. Whatever!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JamieABZ
I've just played musical seats as well. Firstly my flights were 757, then 321, back to 757, now both back to 321 again - this is January.
They're trying to seat me in 3B - it doesn't exist. Tried to change to 3C - confirmed as 4C. Whatever!
I wonder if selecting a seat number that exists on both aircraft would make it "stick" (too easy - AA would probably not work that way).
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JDiver
I wonder if selecting a seat number that exists on both aircraft would make it "stick" (too easy - AA would probably not work that way).
Historically that has not happened, at least for me. Imagine the plane having one or two more seats per row, the plane would be lopsided! Left turns would be easier, but I suspect they will try to spread the weight around a bit.

It seems to me that it's just a random reassignments. Even when on the same PNR, we've been split up if an equipment change has been processed. Always wise to make a habit of frequently checking pending flights to make sure something hasn't happened. I suspect as they do more shifting to bring US flights over to AA there will be some doozies coming up.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Historically that has not happened, at least for me. Imagine the plane having one or two more seats per row, the plane would be lopsided! Left turns would be easier, but I suspect they will try to spread the weight around a bit.

It seems to me that it's just a random reassignments. Even when on the same PNR, we've been split up if an equipment change has been processed. Always wise to make a habit of frequently checking pending flights to make sure something hasn't happened. I suspect as they do more shifting to bring US flights over to AA there will be some doozies coming up.
Initially I was on a 757—I booked 1B (confirmed)
Then I was on a 32B—seat vanished. I booked 2C (confirmed).
Then I was back on a 757—my 1B reservation re-appeared automatically. I don't remember if it was confirmed or requested.
Now back to 32B—still in 1B (which doesn't exist). I changed it back to 2C which has been confirmed.

If there's a consistent system I am not sure what it is
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The red-eyes back are brutal, but I have no complaints about the flights out. There's a few sweet spots in coach too.
So is leaving paradise!

For the longest time, I would take the red - eye and work the next day after a 3 hour nap. Can't do that anymore, but I hate leaving the beach early.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Initially I was on a 757—I booked 1B (confirmed)
Then I was on a 32B—seat vanished. I booked 2C (confirmed).
Then I was back on a 757—my 1B reservation re-appeared automatically. I don't remember if it was confirmed or requested.
Now back to 32B—still in 1B (which doesn't exist). I changed it back to 2C which has been confirmed.

If there's a consistent system I am not sure what it is
This is why I check my AA bookings daily.
I've never ever known so many time and equipment changes before - plus a polite phone call a few weeks ago asking me to re-route due to overbooking.
I don't really mind, but non-FT'ers must get into some pickles sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.