Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Airbus A321-200 ETOPS / 321H / A321H to Replace Hawaii Boeing 757-223s

A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of A321s with 159 in service, 60 on order. These will replace Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All A321s in fleet and order are technically 32B aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™, giving a range of 3,200 nm.

FWAAA: ...this will be a sub-fleet of 16 321H, presumably with the optional extra fuel tanks (total of 7,935 US gal).
321H: This particular two class A321 variant is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on West Coast-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load and some Hawai'i runway restrictions, some flights have been load and balance restricted / affected (LIH in particular has weight and cross-wind restrictions that can cause ticketed passengers to be "bumped" or occasionally diverted to HNL). These will ultimately be replaced by ETOPS rated Airbus A321neo aircraft.

321S: F16, XE35, Y130.

Seating is pretty much the same as the 321S for non-premium transcon service. See posts from TWA884 and FWAAA (#176 on) for IFE box and seat peculiarities.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra*" seats with extra leg room
  • In flight WiFi by GoGo (works only within 90 miles of USA mainland)
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller
    . . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)
*: Whilst seats 13 A-B-C are Main Cabin Extra, 13 D-E-F are standard (non-MCE) seats.

Current AA "domestic" WiFi by GoGo as on this aircraft relies on cellular telephony, which restricts operation to within ~90 miles of land.

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

Note about flight changes and seat numeration between 757 and 321H /S:
  • 757 F seats are AB, EF
  • A321H F seats are AC, DF
If you a re flying to Hawai'i on a 757:
  • 24 F seats with 52 MCE and 108 "Main Cabin" indicates a LAA 757-223.
  • 14 F recliner seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US / America West 757-2S7 (these are being retired and replaced by 757-2B7)
  • 12 F seats with old "Envoy" seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US Airways ("East") 757-2B7 (these are replacing the 757-2S7s to Hawaii)
See here for LUS 757-200 to / from Hawaii thread.

321H replacement of LUS Boeing 752s occurred after Sep 2016 Flight Operations Systems integration.

Updated Oct 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:10 am

AA Wifi Hawaii on 321?

Hi All,

I am booked on a LAX-OGG flight later this month on one of the newer 321's. The flight shows wifi as available but as far as I know AA does not have over-water wifi. Did they change that to compete with the UA flights that now do offer wifi or is it just an error on AA's website?

Thanks,

J.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:56 am

No. You will have WiFi for a short amount of time until you get too far away from the California coast, and then nothing for the rest of the flight.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
No. You will have WiFi for a short amount of time until you get too far away from the California coast, and then nothing for the rest of the flight.
Ugh. United was $400 more per seat. Too much for wifi... ;-)
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm actually rather surprised how far into the flight the wifi works. When I did it back in February, I feel like I had connectivity for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'm actually rather surprised how far into the flight the wifi works. When I did it back in February, I feel like I had connectivity for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
I recall also being surprised by this on the quick PHL-BDA flights. I probably had Internet access while over New Jersey as well as way further offshore than I expected - probably at least 40% of the flight.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I've been on a number of LAX-HNL flights where we didn't head straight out over the water, but instead tracked up the California coast for the first 30-60 minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:16 am

Yes but I want to browse reddit for the entire 5 hours. ;-)
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:43 pm

help on seats on 32B (Hawaii A321H)

Hi everyone,

We are going to fly on the 32B from/to LAX and hawaii. We have held row 13, right behind the exit row in 12.

But the seating chart is strange so curious if anyone knows why. Seats 13 A-C are in extra and cost to select, while 13 D-F are only preferred, meaning free for AA gold.

Has anyone flown on that plane and know why D-F are different category than A-C? Is it that we'll get lucky having more room or does that side have some other issue making 13D-F bad or smaller than row 14, 15, etc...

Attaching a picture to show what we mean.

Thank you!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by atomz4peace
Hi everyone,

We are going to fly on the 32B from/to LAX and hawaii. We have held row 13, right behind the exit row in 12.

But the seating chart is strange so curious if anyone knows why. Seats 13 A-C are in extra and cost to select, while 13 D-F are only preferred, meaning free for AA gold.

Has anyone flown on that plane and know why D-F are different category than A-C? Is it that we'll get lucky having more room or does that side have some other issue making 13D-F bad or smaller than row 14, 15, etc...

Attaching a picture to show what we mean.

Thank you!
Not 100% sure, but when I took HNL to LAX back in March I was in 12D, and it appeared 13a-c was in fact MCE with I'd venture to guess between 3-4 inches of extra legroom. 13d-f appeared to be normal seats as far is pitch wise. They are considered preferred since they are closer to the front so convenient there, but I don't believe they have any more legroom than rows further back. As to why they didn't make all of row 13 MCE, I couldn't tell you to be honest.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I can confirm that 13 A-C is MCE but D-F is not, as I take this aircraft every 2-3 weeks. Not sure why that is though.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I am flying AA # 2406 LAX to DFW. i believe that plane is the one discussed in this thread.

Right now i picked seat 25A. However row 11A is open. I did not select row 11 because according to seatguru the seat does not recline. Is that accurate or no.

Both seats appear to great legroom--- just curious if row 11 is a true MCE seat vs row 25-- does 11 recline at all-- or more than row 25?

thanks for the help as always
Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by holbiho
I am flying AA # 2406 LAX to DFW. i believe that plane is the one discussed in this thread.

Right now i picked seat 25A. However row 11A is open. I did not select row 11 because according to seatguru the seat does not recline. Is that accurate or no.

Both seats appear to great legroom--- just curious if row 11 is a true MCE seat vs row 25-- does 11 recline at all-- or more than row 25?

thanks for the help as always
It's not this specific aircraft type (A321H), but rather a LAA A321S.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
You're welcome.

Just so that you aren't surprised, both 25 A and F have fixed armrests with tray tables housed in them. Since there are no seatbacks in front of those seats, the video screens are mounted on articulated arms that stow under the seat.

Another similarly situated seat is 12F, but that one is facing a cabin attendant jump seat.

Row 11, too, has virtually unlimited legroom, as it is located just behind the second set of exit doors. Row 24 is also pretty good - SeatGuru is wrong, those seats do fully recline, the exit doors, not two sets of exit windows as they wrongly illustrate, are located just ahead of row 24 - but the legroom is not quite as generous as in row 11.
Currently considering AA KOA-LAX... So all MCE seats do recline whether exit row or not? I am AA Plat, and was wondering if I should go for leg room in Row 11 seats or 12F. If Row 11 seats and 12F all recline normally, then it's a no brainer... 11AB or 12EF for us. Which ones are better though: 11AB or 12EF? And which side has better view taking off KOA? Are the TV and tray table in front of us or folded on the side?

Does AA provide any free food (snack cookie or sandwich) in MCE on longer flight like KOA-LAX? The flight will be during dinner time.

What is the chance of upgrade to first class? I am debating whether I should pay for the fare or use 12500 Avios, since I have AA Plat status and 16 500-mile upgrades to burn..??? If I remember correctly, award flight booked using miles or avios is not eligible for 500-mile upgrade, right? Is KOA-LAX elite-heavy route like LAX-JFK transcon?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...and was wondering if I should go for leg room in Row 11 seats or 12F. If Row 11 seats and 12F all recline normally, then it's a no brainer... 11AB or 12EF for us. Which ones are better though: 11AB or 12EF? And which side has better view taking off KOA? Are the TV and tray table in front of us or folded on the side?
The seats in row 11 and 12 fully recline. The seats in row 11 and seat 12F have the TV and the tray table fold into the armrest, hence the armrests are fixed and cannot be lifted. Seat 12E is a regular seat with 11E in front of it, so it has no extra legroom.

Does AA provide any free food (snack cookie or sandwich) in MCE on longer flight like KOA-LAX? The flight will be during dinner time.
On morning flights you'll get a pack of two Biscoff cookies. On afternoon and evening flights you'll receive a small baggie of salty pretzels.

What is the chance of upgrade to first class?
Slim to none. This aircraft has only 16F and 165Y seats.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
The seats in row 11 and 12 fully recline. The seats in row 11 and seat 12F have the TV and the tray table fold into the armrest, hence the armrests are fixed and cannot be lifted. Seat 12E is a regular seat with 11E in front of it, so it has no extra legroom.

On morning flights you'll get a pack of two Biscoff cookies. On afternoon and evening flights you'll receive a small baggie of salty pretzels.

Slim to none. This aircraft has only 16F and 165Y seats.
Are all inflight entertainment on the personal TV (movies, TVs, etc.) free for MCE passengers?

I believe AA uses to charge for PTV content, but I think they have stopped charging money for PTV entertainment stuff (just like Delta Studio (free for all passengers).... ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.