Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Airbus A321-200 ETOPS / 321H / A321H to Replace Hawaii Boeing 757-223s

A321 is the stretched version of the A320 family of aircraft. AA is the world's largest operator of A321s with 159 in service, 60 on order. These will replace Boeing 757-223s. The A321 is coded by most sources as "32B", which means any A321 with "Sharklets™" blended wingtip devices. All A321s in fleet and order are technically 32B aircraft, as they all arrive "out of the box" with Sharklets™, giving a range of 3,200 nm.

FWAAA: ...this will be a sub-fleet of 16 321H, presumably with the optional extra fuel tanks (total of 7,935 US gal).
321H: This particular two class A321 variant is ETOPS rated, initially deployed on West Coast-Hawai'i flights to replace the 757. Due to distance / fuel / load and some Hawai'i runway restrictions, some flights have been load and balance restricted / affected (LIH in particular has weight and cross-wind restrictions that can cause ticketed passengers to be "bumped" or occasionally diverted to HNL). These will ultimately be replaced by ETOPS rated Airbus A321neo aircraft.

321S: F16, XE35, Y130.

Seating is pretty much the same as the 321S for non-premium transcon service. See posts from TWA884 and FWAAA (#176 on) for IFE box and seat peculiarities.

The new leather "slimline" articulated "slider" seats include:
  • "Main Cabin Extra*" seats with extra leg room
  • In flight WiFi by GoGo (works only within 90 miles of USA mainland)
  • "Universal" plug 110 VAC and 5 VDC USB power at every seat
  • tilting 8.9" flatscreen IFE with AVOD at every seat** (complimentary in F) with hand controller
    . . . (IFE and power mounted on seat back in front of you)
*: Whilst seats 13 A-B-C are Main Cabin Extra, 13 D-E-F are standard (non-MCE) seats.

Current AA "domestic" WiFi by GoGo as on this aircraft relies on cellular telephony, which restricts operation to within ~90 miles of land.

**In Theaters Now” movies cost $8, “Best of the Big Screen” (older movies ) for $6 per movie, a “Premium Package” for $5 that includes unlimited 150 network shows on demand and 300 albums, 20 games and audio books. There’s also a Disney option for $4 that includes a variety of kids movies, TV shows, games and music. “Complimentary Programming” offers "NBC Universal on American" and "American Airlines Radio" network.

Note about flight changes and seat numeration between 757 and 321H /S:
  • 757 F seats are AB, EF
  • A321H F seats are AC, DF
If you a re flying to Hawai'i on a 757:
  • 24 F seats with 52 MCE and 108 "Main Cabin" indicates a LAA 757-223.
  • 14 F recliner seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US / America West 757-2S7 (these are being retired and replaced by 757-2B7)
  • 12 F seats with old "Envoy" seats and no MCE other than exit row seats indicates a legacy US Airways ("East") 757-2B7 (these are replacing the 757-2S7s to Hawaii)
See here for LUS 757-200 to / from Hawaii thread.

321H replacement of LUS Boeing 752s occurred after Sep 2016 Flight Operations Systems integration.

Updated Oct 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

LAA: Airbus A321H / 321 ETOPS replacing LAX Boeing 757 to Hawaii (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
IIRC not all of AA's 757 are overwater (rafts etc.) equipped. And with a subfleet overall maintenance costs are probably lower as not all the 757 have to be maintained to ETOPS requirements.
I might be wrong, but I believe that all AA 757s are overwater equipped (so they can fly more than 100nm from the shore/coastline). Flights to SJU and other Central/Northern South America destinations don't need ETOPS, and that's where maintenance savings play a big part, as you mentioned. AA's ETOPS 757s include the 20 75Ls and the 13 Hawai'i 757ERs.

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Yikes thats a ton... I assume these A321s are just a stop gap until AA receives their A321NEOs, which will have likely no issue with the flights.
Perhaps, but the eastbound weight restrictions are due to the relatively short runways at LIH and OGG, which in turn limits the takeoff weight (not enough runway for a fully-laden A321. The issue is the lethargic takeoff performance of the A321 compared to the 757. Don't know if the A321neo will have substantially better short-field performance. If they do, then sure, perhaps they'll solve this issue.

LIH/OGG-LAX flights wouldn't need a full load of fuel (as they're flying east), so I'm not sure if the neos will change that equation. The neos will certainly help with the westbound flights, probably avoiding any westbound weight restrictions even when the fuel tanks are topped off.

Originally Posted by 777Pax
Not allowed by the APA Contract.
Exactly. AA's ability to codeshare the HA inter-island services depends on AA flying a specified minimum number of AA-metal flights to Hawai'i, unless the APA gave that up, and I doubt they did.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The question is: Which 30?

All in Y I assume.

Y- or MCE?

Could they block only middles in MCE?

Fill up MCE and block middles in Y-?
If it's a shortfield problem then the pilot will want weight distributed maximally rearward during the climb out.

(This is because if there is an engine failure after take off you do not want the rear stabilizer fighting more than necessary to keep the nose up, which it does as an upside down wing by trading forward momentum for downforce on the tail.)

Probably the front few rows of Y will be blocked on the seat map.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Calchas
If it's a shortfield problem then the pilot will want weight distributed maximally rearward during the climb out.

(This is because if there is an engine failure after take off you do not want the rear stabilizer fighting more than necessary to keep the nose up, which it does as an upside down wing by trading forward momentum for downforce on the tail.)

Probably the front few rows of Y will be blocked on the seat map.
...which is a revenue conundrum for AA, since the front few rows of Y are MCE rows.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
...which is a revenue conundrum for AA, since the front few rows of Y are MCE rows.
Oh I mean, the first few rows of Y-

Basically you just want a bunch of people sat at the back
Old May 29, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I might be wrong, but I believe that all AA 757s are overwater equipped (so they can fly more than 100nm from the shore/coastline). Flights to SJU and other Central/Northern South America destinations don't need ETOPS, and that's where maintenance savings play a big part, as you mentioned. AA's ETOPS 757s include the 20 75Ls and the 13 Hawai'i 757ERs.

Perhaps, but the eastbound weight restrictions are due to the relatively short runways at LIH and OGG, which in turn limits the takeoff weight (not enough runway for a fully-laden A321. The issue is the lethargic takeoff performance of the A321 compared to the 757. Don't know if the A321neo will have substantially better short-field performance. If they do, then sure, perhaps they'll solve this issue.

LIH/OGG-LAX flights wouldn't need a full load of fuel (as they're flying east), so I'm not sure if the neos will change that equation. The neos will certainly help with the westbound flights, probably avoiding any westbound weight restrictions even when the fuel tanks are topped off.

Exactly. AA's ability to codeshare the HA inter-island services depends on AA flying a specified minimum number of AA-metal flights to Hawai'i, unless the APA gave that up, and I doubt they did.
If the A321NEO was going to have runway issues at OGG/LIH, then HAL wouldn't have ordered them. They are extending the runway at LIH by almost a thousand feet, but its still short for the A321CEO. However, the A321 isn't as bad of a runway hog as the 739 is that United flies to Hawai'i. The NEO has improved range of over 450 miles and will have better takeoff performance. The 757 is truly a rare plane but is now obsolete. The A321NEO LR will just crush the 757-200ER on fuel efficiency.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
At that rate why not just fly an A319 or 757?
At least in regard to the A319, I'd wager while 30 seats are blocked on the A321, the cargo hold is going out full 100% of the time. Which *could* be why the A321 is more economical to operate, despite the seat loss.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I didn't see it posted but if I missed it - sorry.

The 32B will have 30 (that's right, thirty) blocked seats for OGG and LIH.
Let's hope they do this correctly and just stop selling when they hit Y capacity -30, allowing the empty seats to fall wherever they fall (and add some space between people that want it.

If they block specific seats, let's hope they are smart and block middle rows only, like BA euro J class.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by bchandler02
If they block specific seats, let's hope they are smart and block middle rows only, like BA euro J class.
Single travelers might hope for this... Although I would imagine a lot of couples who fly to and maybe from Hawaii would like 2 seats together. Blocking middles could cause some grief!

What ever they do, it will be hard to keep everyone happy.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Oh I mean, the first few rows of Y-

Basically you just want a bunch of people sat at the back
True, but even with 30 seats blocked out of the front of Y-, it starts getting to the wing, not really at the front of the plane. It might not be as "heavy to the back" as they actually need without blocking MRC rows (ew).

I could imagine them blocking rows 13-17 or 14-18. I'm assuming that after climbout, they could then release these rows so people could move up/spread out.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by msv777
Single travelers might hope for this... Although I would imagine a lot of couples who fly to and maybe from Hawaii would like 2 seats together. Blocking middles could cause some grief!

What ever they do, it will be hard to keep everyone happy.

Cheers.
They won't physically block the seats. Couples can still sit together

But it would be nefarious of them to block middles on the seat map but still charge for the windows/aisles
Old May 29, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
At least in regard to the A319, I'd wager while 30 seats are blocked on the A321, the cargo hold is going out full 100% of the time. Which *could* be why the A321 is more economical to operate, despite the seat loss.
I doubt you'd win that wager.

AA's 2014 cargo yield was an average of $0.37 per ton mile, so a ton of cargo from LIH to LAX (2,615 miles) would result in about $968 of revenue to AA.

That ton of cargo would displace between 6 and 10 paying passengers plus their bags (depending on their age and gender as children and adult females are assumed to be significantly lighter than adult males).

Load a ton of cargo for $968 of revenue or load 6-10 paying passengers? As long as the one-way fare is greater than $161 (and these days that is a given), cargo is not going to fly ahead of paying passengers.

On these routes, 757s carry very little cargo either direction, and it's very likely that AA's A321s will trivial amounts of cargo. 757s have the payload capacity to carry some cargo due to their better short-field performance. If AA is planning to block 30 seats on the eastbound LIH/OGG-LAX flights, the only cargo is likely to be the checked bags (plus gate-checked bags).
Old May 29, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I doubt you'd win that wager.

AA's 2014 cargo yield was an average of $0.37 per ton mile, so a ton of cargo from LIH to LAX (2,615 miles) would result in about $968 of revenue to AA.

That ton of cargo would displace between 6 and 10 paying passengers plus their bags (depending on their age and gender as children and adult females are assumed to be significantly lighter than adult males).

Load a ton of cargo for $968 of revenue or load 6-10 paying passengers? As long as the one-way fare is greater than $161 (and these days that is a given), cargo is not going to fly ahead of paying passengers.

On these routes, 757s carry very little cargo either direction, and it's very likely that AA's A321s will trivial amounts of cargo. 757s have the payload capacity to carry some cargo due to their better short-field performance. If AA is planning to block 30 seats on the eastbound LIH/OGG-LAX flights, the only cargo is likely to be the checked bags (plus gate-checked bags).
Really there's no cargo between the mainland and Hawaii??

Or AA simply do not know how to sell their capacity?
Old May 29, 2015, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really there's no cargo between the mainland and Hawaii??

Or AA simply do not know how to sell their capacity?
When I said "these routes," I was talking specifically about LIH and OGG to LAX on 757s. Widebodies carry the bulk of the cargo and no airline loads up its 757s with cargo from LIH or OGG.

US loads less than a ton of cargo and mail on its LIH/OGG flights at PHX and at LIH/OGG.

Most Hawai'i-originating cargo is loaded at HNL. Airlines fly to LIH and OGG to carry passengers and their bags, not to carry cargo. Passengers pay several multiples of the fare that cargo pays, as my post laid out.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
There was a time in my life when I couldn't imagine LAX-HNL without DC-10s, then 767-300s, now 757-200s

What a strange time to be alive this is for any lover of aviation nostalgia.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I am hearing conflicting reports on this. A friend of mine advised me to take row 1. What's wrong with it?
My LAX-HNL in Aug switched to A32B - I'm currently in Row 2. Is this the best choice as above suggests avoid row 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.