Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reminiscence / Nostalgia: Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways
Tributes, memories, photos, etc.

This thread is for your experiences, memories, tributes, photos, etc. with US Airways, US Air, America West, Piedmont, etc. Purely negative and snarky comments will be summarily deleted.

This thread was in the legacy US Airways forum until October 17, 2015, when it moved to the "Combined" (now American Airlines | AAdvantage) forum for members' convenience and further additions.

/AA Moderator team
Print Wikipost

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I remember those 737-200s very well. They flew regularly on the LGA-GSO route which I flew once or twice a year. If you had a seat behind the engine it was amazing to watch it reverse after landing.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by CMK10
I remember those 737-200s very well. They flew regularly on the LGA-GSO route which I flew once or twice a year. If you had a seat behind the engine it was amazing to watch it reverse after landing.
Yeah, I remember those!

Boeing 737-200 engine thrust reverser beginning to open, and deployed (FAA)
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I remember those also. Quite freaky the first time.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I've had 2 trips on US Airways:
In 2009, was rebooked on US for AUS-CLT-BOS after my CO flight was significantly delayed.

June 2014, flew in Envoy PHL-VCE. Great seats and service. Nice way to start my Italy vacation.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:17 pm

gonna miss the ole US Air

Now I won't be able to immediately tell which planes to avoid because they will all be operated by American.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Now I won't be able to immediately tell which planes to avoid because they will all be operated by American.
There's a thread for that:
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I think there is some discussion in the consolidated forum (perhaps in the combined fleet thread) about how to differentiate moving forward, but in most cases it shouldn't be too difficult. pmUS and pmAA don't have many mainline aircraft type in common. IIRC, the only commonalities are the 319, 321, and 757.

In the case of the 321, they are coded differently in the system -- pmAA are coded as 32B (321 with winglets) and the pmUS 321s are simply coded 321.

The pmUS domestic 757s are being retired, so the only overlap remaining will be on the small subfleet of internationally configured 757s.

The 319 is trickier, though eventually all of the pmUS 319s will be reconfigured to the pmAA 319 layout (unfortunately). In the meantime, I think it will be a pretty good guess (though not a given) that a 319 touching a pmAA hub is pmAA and vice versa.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
1) USAir hasn't existed for years. Its been US Airways even since before the merger with HP.

2) The B of 32B designator has nothing to do with winglets. The US 321s have them as well.

3) There are plenty of US 319s that touch LAX, DFW, ORD, MIA.

4) This I don't want to deal with AA from US elites or from AA elites that say they don't want to deal with US, is quite frankly a bunch of whining. US and AA were both decent airlines at best, one hasn't made the other one worse. And now its all one airline, so deal with it. Don't like it, go find another airline.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
1) USAir hasn't existed for years. Its been US Airways even since before the merger with HP.

True.

2) The B of 32B designator has nothing to do with winglets. The US 321s have them as well.

False. According to ICAO nomenclature standards "32B" is an A321-100 or -200 aircraft with "Sharklets" wing tip devices. AA misuses the standard nomenclature.

3) There are plenty of US 319s that touch LAX, DFW, ORD, MIA.

True. Presumably, if LUS A319s are fitted with MCE, there may not be much difference?

4) This I don't want to deal with AA from US elites or from AA elites that say they don't want to deal with US, is quite frankly a bunch of whining. US and AA were both decent airlines at best, one hasn't made the other one worse. And now its all one airline, so deal with it. Don't like it, go find another airline.

True. IMO, still too many of us seem to be denizens of a fantasy world where we exaggeratedly disparage or laud either airline. IMO, it's a meaningless and losing game; our time is far better spent trying to understand the new creature and how to maximize flying on it. (I've fond memories of MX, PA, TW, WA, among others; irrelevant.)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
When I took my first flight on Piedmont, I did not realize it was the start of a 34 years Love-Hate relationship with US Airways.

I liked the terms Chairman's Preferred and Envoy Class, especially on the flights that I was one and flew the other. And, even better on the A333.

Small anecdote on domestic First Class: One time, when the flight attendant presented the basket, I took two XoXos and mentioned that my wife who is from Belgium loves them. When I deplaned, she gave me a plastic bag......with a full box of XoXos.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I liked the paint scheme on the planes, pre-America West merger.

I also liked being upgraded across the Atlantic with a system-wide upgrade, as a lowest-tier elite (Silver) about 15 years ago.

In addition, US Airways personnel are pretty consistently helpful, friendly and just nice people. I don't see that changing due to the merger. I've met only a few rotten applies in nearly 20 years of very frequent flying on US.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:42 pm

Back from the US Air days, many fond memories of the Short 360 (a.k.a. "Flying Boxcar" or "Winnebago with wings) in Allegheny Commuter livery - which was the only way you got anywhere from ABE at the time.

With the exception of a brief stint with DL between BK1 and BK2, been a US flyer for many years. Only 3 eventful flights - one WX event on base into PHL (divert to DCA for total chaos) one IFSD (bird strike on rotation), and one non-flight where some anal sphincter in the back thought saying bomb on April 1 would be a good idea.

Warts and all, it's been a good ride, sorry to see it disappear.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I was a big US flyer back when it had a huge presence in New York. Remember the days of MetroJet, the Shuttle, new A319s and A320s and flying new A321s LGA/PHL. Eventually as LGA (at the time US had no JFK presence) saw drastic cuts, I migrating to UA, which subsequently also had huge NYC cuts and then to AA. After all these years was back flying US during the first nine months of this year.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
My first trip on US was to Las Vegas, back in college when they still had some hub operations out of LAS (late 2000's). I took a bump and got first class plus a certificate. Having recently reached legal drinking age, I asked for champagne in F, to which the FA politely replied that "We are a domestic airline," before walking away.

I've spent many hours on the phone with US booking award trips, and I'll miss their elevator-style hold music peppered with the most random ads. And don't get me started on USDM. I still mourn that program's demise. It was simultaneously the funnest and the most irritating FFP out there, but I'll never forget the THREE ALLIANCE AWARD I booked with them in the dying days of their residual *A partnerships:

SFO-PHL US F
PHL-CDG US J (stop)
CDG-BOM AF J (Jet Airways codeshare, Air France metal)
BOM-JNB SA J (stop)
JNB-BOM SA J
BOM-IST TK J
IST-BOS TK J
BOS-PHL US F
PHL-SFO US F

It only took 7 calls over ~6 hours to find an agent willing to ticket it
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LowlyDLsilver
Back from the US Air days, many fond memories of the Short 360 (a.k.a. "Flying Boxcar" or "Winnebago with wings) in Allegheny Commuter livery - which was the only way you got anywhere from ABE at the time.

With the exception of a brief stint with DL between BK1 and BK2, been a US flyer for many years. Only 3 eventful flights - one WX event on base into PHL (divert to DCA for total chaos) one IFSD (bird strike on rotation), and one non-flight where some anal sphincter in the back thought saying bomb on April 1 would be a good idea.

Warts and all, it's been a good ride, sorry to see it disappear.
Ironically, Eagle flew those Short Bros. 360s as well. My last Short experience was diving one off EIS. Friendly moray had taken up residence in the cockpit. They'd managed to paint out the titles, but the cheat.ines were all AA.

Originally Posted by AwardBee
My first trip on US was to Las Vegas, back in college when they still had some hub operations out of LAS (late 2000's). I took a bump and got first class plus a certificate. Having recently reached legal drinking age, I asked for champagne in F, to which the FA politely replied that "We are a domestic airline," before walking away.

I've spent many hours on the phone with US booking award trips, and I'll miss their elevator-style hold music peppered with the most random ads. And don't get me started on USDM. I still mourn that program's demise. It was simultaneously the funnest and the most irritating FFP out there, but I'll never forget the THREE ALLIANCE AWARD I booked with them in the dying days of their residual *A partnerships:

SFO-PHL US F
PHL-CDG US J (stop)
CDG-BOM AF J (Jet Airways codeshare, Air France metal)
BOM-JNB SA J (stop)
JNB-BOM SA J
BOM-IST TK J
IST-BOS TK J
BOS-PHL US F
PHL-SFO US F

It only took 7 calls over ~6 hours to find an agent willing to ticket it
Awesome use of miles! Do you recall how many you spent on that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.