Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reminiscence / Nostalgia: Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways
Tributes, memories, photos, etc.

This thread is for your experiences, memories, tributes, photos, etc. with US Airways, US Air, America West, Piedmont, etc. Purely negative and snarky comments will be summarily deleted.

This thread was in the legacy US Airways forum until October 17, 2015, when it moved to the "Combined" (now American Airlines | AAdvantage) forum for members' convenience and further additions.

/AA Moderator team
Print Wikipost

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by KevinMenoJetBlueVirginAmericafan
Did AA start repainting the A320-214s powered by CFM to new AA livery?
Yes; some recent US A321s were delivered in AA livery as well. This site has a lot of good info about the fleet including current paint status:
https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
My thanks to the US OAK station.

Years ago, I took a hop from PHX to OAK, late on a Sunday evening. I left a paperback book on the plane. I didn't realize it until well after I had gone past the security station at OAK. It wasn't an expensive book, but it was a Christmas present from my daughter, so it had more sentimental value than anything else.

I asked the counter attendant at OAK station to retrieve it for me. I waited there for 30 minutes, never expecting to get my book back. Remarkably, the attendant showed up with the book - and he won my eternal gratitude. Somehow, that incident always stood out in my mind, of solid, professional service from an airline.

I am really sorry to see US go. I hope AA adopts the best of what US had to offer. I have had good experiences on AA - and some not-so-good ones. Time will tell.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was flying AA yesterday from RDU-LGA. I got to the RDU AC and noticed the agent working had a US Airways Club notepad. I asked if I could have it and told her I collected airline memorbillia. She said, perhaps you'd like this instead and gave me this:

She's a longtime PI and US Employee who has a stash of the good old stuff at home and brings it to work.
Sweeet
Yea, I collect stuff like this
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:13 am

I just miss the Grand slam.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but where is the US Airways history section on AA.com website?? For those who remember, historically US has had great, detailed accounts of the history of US and its legacy airlines on its website, written by employees. I don't see any of this content on the AA website now anywhere, and that's a bummer.

Hopefully the new AA team updates the history page, because as of now it doesn't even mention US.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by mileshound
Milanos in the snack basket
Better yet - XO's mmmmm.....

(and it doesn't feel like a proper old-time US reminiscing thread without Beckles....)
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Some of my memories:

- My first flight ever was on the old USAir. Flight 1949 PIT-LAX in 1990. I was 13, and we were going to my aunt's wedding in LA. I remembered always seeing the planes flying in the sky and my parents going on plane trips, and wanting to fly myself. I even dreamed what it would be like. February of 1990, that dream came true. Outbound was on a 727 in the "aluminum" livery, return on a 737 in an older livery. I remember service was quite good even in Y. No movies on the outbound, but we had a full dinner, multiple drink and snack services, and even was served an ice cream treat. The way back, we had chicken kiev for dinner, and a movie was shown. Life used to be good flying - even in Y.

- I flew home from a church mission in 1998, with my final leg being a USAir Express puddle jumper from PIT-JST. Talk about a loud and bumpy plane ride. I could talk to the pilot as he was right in front of me. There was a lady I knew from church returning on that same flight with a baby she was adopting. She told me I should get off the plane carrying the baby, and tell my family and friends it was mine. I didn't - I wish I did now. That would have been hilarious.

- The old Greater Pitt was my first airport experience as a pax. I always thought it was an amazing place as a kid. It's a shame there isn't much info (diagrams, pics, etc) around for it.

- The new PIT. Still a great airport. I've taken many flights out of there. It's a shame to see it a shell of its former self. I'd love to see it become a hub again for someone.

- Taking my son and my mom to Disney World, with US upgrading all 3 of us on the way back.

- Having US be the only airline ever to have my bags be the very first off on the conveyor - and also the very last - both of which were tagged priority.

- US losing my bags twice on the same flight in 2 weeks due to late connections. The baggage agents remembered me from the previous week.

- US fighting with UA to get our bags back after our European honeymoon. UA didn't recheck the bags properly after landing in ORD. US brought us home on the last two segments. My wife was upset as it was her bag that was lost, as well as one of our bags full of souvenirs.

- US forcing me, my wife, and my stepson on to an oversold flight (CLT-LAX) to get us to the west coast when our crew didn't bother to show up. They got us there about 12 hours earlier than expected. Additionally, the angels at the US club at LAX also got us the rest of the way to SAN on UA when the CP line dropped the ball. US also gave me miles for that and because we lost our upgrades for the original CLT-SAN flight we were on.

- My now seemingly annual MR to ANC. Always been a fun trip. I've seen Kareem Abdul-Jabar, Sarah Palin, and Ben Stein on these runs. Also met some FTers in my travels.

- 100% upgrade rate as a CP - yet always feeling like my patronage meant something even as a lower elite. US bent over backwards for me several times - even when I wasn't a CP.

- Trial Preferred. US made it very easy for me to ditch UA - plus I had all the benefits of *A when needed (mostly TPAC).

- Always US based CS whenever calling in. They always picked up quickly and solved my problems.

- Flying US to see the ladies I was dating. I had 2 long distance relationships over the years. One of them became Mrs. Super, the other one almost did.

- The soup in the US club.

- Flying US to go to my first FT Do in NYC (thanks BJ).

- Flying over Heinz Field during a diversion to PIT. It was cool as my son got to see where the Steelers play, and he was excited about that.

Oh, the memories.

Last edited by Superguy; Oct 20, 2015 at 7:40 am
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:22 pm

I'm a little late to the game, but as a resident of current/former HP/US hubs for the 3 decades or so, here are my (brief) thoughts and memories.

Thanks for the memories!
          Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:48 pm

Ahh the memories of US Airways.
          Old Aug 12, 2016, 7:59 pm

US Airways Plane Spotted in Hawaii

I flew over from Oahu to the big island on Island Air last week (July 31st), and upon landing at Kona I saw a US Airways plane there and thought that I had gone back in time! Our aircraft parked adjacent to the former US Airways jet and when I got out I snapped a photo as it brought back some memories for sure. I thought I would share the photo with you all as I am not sure how many US Airways livery are still left to be painted. The tail number is N910AW.

Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:07 pm
          Moderator: American AAdvantage
          Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
          N910AW US Airways Boeing 757-2G7(WL), c/n 24523 first flew 4 Nov 1989, biuilt as line number 256 for HP / America West and delivered 29 Nov 1989. It's old enough to vote... and it's been C14/Y176 since the beginning. (Various sources.)

Nice shot. Looming out of the past, facing its own sunset.

Original progress report and chart from Brian Sumers, 25 June 2015:
          Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 2016 at 8:16 pm
          Old Aug 12, 2016, 8:24 pm

Oh wow, I had no idea there were still that many planes left to paint! I live on one of the routes the aircraft take during the approach to the HNL airport and I don't see any more that come in here to our island that are still painted in US Airways markings. I would imagine its not all that uncommon still to see one at one of its former hubs like PHX.
          Old Aug 12, 2016, 10:03 pm
          FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
          If they kept to plan, all that's left are something like 60-70 737's and maybe 5 757's.
          Old Aug 13, 2016, 3:45 am
          Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
          There are still a number of 321s & E190s in the US livery. I assume there was a pause in repainting over the busier summer months. Aren't the LUS 757s still in the US livery to be retired by year end?
          Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
          I flew to ACC back in July 2006. With a mere 10k miles, I was able to UG into Envoy for the PHL-FRA and FRA-PHL portions of my trip. What a bargain!

I also miss the Envoy lounge in PHL (always felt so cool getting the wave to use that side of the club!) and the amazing staff at the LAS club...Kim P., Ginny, and a few others...I think of them every time I go through LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.