Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reminiscence / Nostalgia: Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways
Tributes, memories, photos, etc.

This thread is for your experiences, memories, tributes, photos, etc. with US Airways, US Air, America West, Piedmont, etc. Purely negative and snarky comments will be summarily deleted.

This thread was in the legacy US Airways forum until October 17, 2015, when it moved to the "Combined" (now American Airlines | AAdvantage) forum for members' convenience and further additions.

/AA Moderator team
Print Wikipost

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
I particularly miss this commercial:
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Flight62, what you shared is amazing and also reassuring. US Airways definitely has been through a lot, and the fact that it still stands today is great.

I know many at the AA forum (and the other legacies) love to deride US Airways, but I've always liked US and am a bit sad to see it go. At the same time, here's to the new American!
That derision has no place in our fora if it is applied to our members. Whereas factual information about either airline will certainly be allowed to stand, mere malcharacterizations, broadly sweeping negative statements or insults will de dealt with by moderators (as they have been in this thread).

It's all water under the bridge; tomorrow, all of us, LAA or LUS, begin on a new airline, one in its infancy (with its own emergent policies and ways), though it's made up of two airlines with lengthy legacies and the executive direction of the LUS executive team.

But this reminiscence thread will move to our new forum, because I'm sure US Airways will not be forgotten by those who have flown US as their airline choice.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Lots of personal avgeekery stemmed from US. From flying CMH-PIT-MIA on the way to GUA to adopt my brother in 1992 (and then bringing him back MIA-MCO-IND-CMH) to the EMB-120, 727, and many 757 segments (all becoming favorites), my first experience with AVOD (which was the coolest thing possible as a 13 year old flying PHL-CDG in 2000), two trips to SXM, to the last trip in August which included my first E190 flight, I've had lots of travel good times on US. The US experience seemed to go downhill in the last few years, but there'll always be a soft spot for the Flag.

87 Mainline (727, 732, 733, 734, 757, 767, 319, 320, 321, 330(-300), DC9, M80, F28, F100, E90), 50 Express segments (EM2, ERJ, E70, E75, CRJ, CR7, CR9, J31, 328). Thank U for the ride.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Moving out of HQ

Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

The Flight62 post is remarkable - thanks for posting that. My first flight was on a DC3 from PIT to PHL. Years later I would fly Allegheny a lot. Once I commented to my seatmate that the first officer was a woman (based on the pre-flight PA.) He responded that it was impossible. Big Ed Colodny was the CEO, a monopoly in the Northeast and no first class. His board of directors badgered him to do first class as that is what a real airline does.

Allegheny conducted customer satisfaction surveys - which airline would you prefer to fly on. On the list of choices was a mythical airline called USAir. It always ranked higher in preference. When the airline had a contest to pick a new name, they ultimately decided on USAir.

I detested the BAC-111, they were old, made strange noises, had weird electrical and hydraulic smells. But Allegheny was always dependable. And then they did those meals in a box and meals in a tray...

When I started to do some consulting for flight ops, the pilots all had a pert chart depicting all the mergers and acquisitions over the years going back to Mohawk and before - pretty impressive.

The pilots were the highest paid in the industry. Big Ed's approach was don't make waves, don't go on strike, and we will pay accordingly. When the flight engineers were eliminated, their pay was split among the captain and first officer. At the same time there was no checklist discipline. As one check airman told me, as long as the switches were in the right position at the end of the runaway, it didn't much matter how they got there. Anybody recall Flight 5050 - imagine getting on that airplane. Anyway, following that splash the airline went on to make very nice advances in flight safety and standardization. Bob Sumwalt, a current NTSB board member was a Piedmont/USAir pilot and he has done/continues to do good work.

My memories of this airline are good.

In Pittsburgh, everyone joined the Eastern Airlines Ionosphere Lounge club. They had free booze and Allegheny monitors in the club to track arrivals/departures.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My good US memories:

- 1997-2000: First years flying US every week, MCI/DCA weekly commute. Reached Gold and was pleasantly surprised with Systemwide Upgrades and generally good domestic upgrading on a regular basis. Ground staff at MCI were fantastic.

- 1998: summer J award to EDI, booked 72 hours in advance, 80k R/T. Phone agent spent 30 minutes putting it together on 4 airlines. Booked the trip because a buddy had just arranged a tee time on the Old Course at St. Andrews.

(10 year hiatus away from US...travel patterns forced me to use primarily United metal during this period.)

- Late 00's/Early 10's: the 90k R/T North Asia J awards. Best value going in any of my regular programs.

- Early 10's: Grand Slam promotions. Stayed in a few weird hotels and bought things from unusual merchants, many of which I can't even remember anymore.

- 2011: After a year where most of my statuses dried up, bought a Gold Trial. The $430 cost of the trial turned into a 90+% hit rate on upgrades for my wife and I over a 3 month period of unusually heavy US travel, plus access to a few lounges on an international trip. I qualified Silver and still enjoyed a decent hit rate on upgrades until the program ended.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
That derision has no place in our fora if it is applied to our members. Whereas factual information about either airline will certainly be allowed to stand, mere malcharacterizations, broadly sweeping negative statements or insults will de dealt with by moderators (as they have been in this thread).

It's all water under the bridge; tomorrow, all of us, LAA or LUS, begin on a new airline, one in its infancy (with its own emergent policies and ways), though it's made up of two airlines with lengthy legacies and the executive direction of the LUS executive team.

But this reminiscence thread will move to our new forum, because I'm sure US Airways will not be forgotten by those who have flown US as their airline choice.
Well said, agreed, and much appreciated. ^
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Greetings from US408, in-flight. Farewell old friend.

We've almost all had frightening experices in flight, and I've had my share on US and other airlines. One stands out as significant in my life. I had a scary experience on a US Shuttle flight circa 1999. Wheels were down, on approach to DCA trying to beat a nasty summer thunderstorm. We were dammed close to the ground when wind sheer caught us and I was suddenly staring down the wing at fast-approaching ground. Everyone screamed as the pilot deftly pulled us out of it and we began ascending. Hands trembling and stomach knotted as we stabilized into lighter turbulence, and before the pilot came on to announce that we would be returning all the way to LGA, I grabbed the seat back air-phone and called my then bf, now husband. The one and only air phone call I've ever made. As I hung up, I knew in that moment that he was "the one." The tell was, of course, that he was my first thought in the midst of panic. Not many months beforehand that call would have been to my mom or dad. Suffice to say, I have a lot for which to credit (and blame!) US.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I never flew US Airways until last year. Had to get to SBP and AA doesn't fly there. Thankfully, the recent merger with AA made it so it worked out. Got AAdvantage miles. Even EQMs!! I also had US operated flights to get to BUR and to AVL. Good thing too as I just barely made PLT last year. I was even able to fly up in F on a lot of those flights.

Note: Upon further reflection, I suppose I could count flights on HP way back in the late 1990s. I flew them from AUS to LAS (and back), via PHX. That was the first time I ever flew on an Airbus, too.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
My memory of US Airways isn't as fond as most here. I flew them exactly once prior to the merger with AA (plus one USAir flight in the early 1990s), during the time of extreme cost-cutting in early 2009 - extra-charge water, worse-than-old-style-aeroflot customer service attitude and all. To this day, that flight ranks as an all-time-low in my memory, and I successfully avoided them from there on out.
Needless to say, I was not really thrilled when the acquisition of AMR was announced.

Had eight flights on US this year and had really nice experiences throughout, though. So, for me, a conciliatory end.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:46 pm

Farewell US. Thanks for the memories. We treated each other well. I was buying $800 tickets for 200 miles of travel during bankruptcy and was glad to do it and you treated me with great memories. Here are my favorite memories
  • Milanos in the snack basket
  • The 767 transcons
  • The CS007 confirmed upgrade certificate that could be used at time of reservation - given for even minor complaints
  • Turning in a different upgrade certificate when upgrading using the CS007
  • Transcon sundaes
  • The stackable miles promos...especially Get Out More (GOM)
  • Checking in and one agent turns to the other and says "the Chairman going to Rome is here", long story why but wife was impressed
  • 24 seat FC in 321 and 757
  • Envoy lounge
  • The a330 envoy cabin
  • Elite upgrade on an anytime coach award ticket (since was booked in Y fare)
  • Being the only passenger on a PVD-ALB flight (twice)
  • A $400 FC A fare PHL-LAX
  • Pit airport
  • Forget the name of the promo but you had to fly x# of zones to up your status. 1/4 of the plane to Baton Rouge was making the turn.

and especially......
The flyertalk US forum 10-15 years ago before blogs and miles collecting was cool (chemist, Geo, overpaid slacker, CPRich, Art and many others)

Last edited by mileshound; Oct 16, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by mileshound
  • Forget the name of the promo but you had to fly x# of zones to up your status. 1/4 of the plane to Baton Rouge was making the turn.
That would be Hop, Skip, and a Jump (or HSJ as it was known on here). That was my favorite promo of all. Grand Slam was also nice too but HSJ was the best!^^^
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
US got me home from college (undergrad and graduate school) and back, to the interview for the job I have today, to the Rose Bowl, to The Price Is Right, and to professional meetings and pleasure trips. My parents (BOS), brother (MHT), and aunt (SAV) all flew US to my graduate school commencement and all flew back home on well-timed flights the next day. I'll miss US Airways even though in recent years living near CAK and CLE I found myself using CO mostly due to the hub and its nonstop convenience, but I still used US when possible for trips to places like CLT and PHL. I am a severe packrat and have saved a lot of US stuff over the years...it's amazing looking back at the memories. Thank you US!
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Buffaloflyer
That would be Hop, Skip, and a Jump (or HSJ as it was known on here). That was my favorite promo of all. Grand Slam was also nice too but HSJ was the best!^^^
Yes, yes, yes HSJ. HSJ and GOM were my favorite promos!!!!!!!! When Oxbow found the 5th GOM promo I went wild. A friend had 0 miles before a PHL to London trip and after the trip he was gold...and we used certificates for upgrades. I got a free club membership out of that trip since it put me past 150,000 miles that year (actually got me to 148,000 but a quick call and they gave it to me). Ahhhh, the good old days.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Liberty fare

Back in the 1970's, Allegheny had the Liberty Fare. For one price, it was under $100.00 you could fly all you wanted for a week. A college buddy and myself did this. I wish I kept the itinerary. Started out from CLE, did overnights at MEM,MSP, BOS, PIT, CMH (stayed at my college apartment).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.