Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reminiscence / Nostalgia: Saying "Goodbye" to US Airways
Tributes, memories, photos, etc.

This thread is for your experiences, memories, tributes, photos, etc. with US Airways, US Air, America West, Piedmont, etc. Purely negative and snarky comments will be summarily deleted.

This thread was in the legacy US Airways forum until October 17, 2015, when it moved to the "Combined" (now American Airlines | AAdvantage) forum for members' convenience and further additions.

/AA Moderator team
Print Wikipost

LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by IcHot
Here's the recipe for a drink to toast to. You can look up the name of the cocktail if you wish.

1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 oz 7-Up® soda
Replace the 7-up with a Red Bull and you've got an Irish Trash Can.

I think AA should have kept the CACTUS callsign. I know AMERICAN is iconic, but CACTUS was the coolest of 'em all.
Old May 30, 2015, 4:49 am

On the eve that US joined Star alliance, I was connecting through PHL, MAD-PHL-YYZ. US employees were rolling up the Star Alliance signs to each gate at PHL, complete will all member airlines. I had just become US*Gold, and although my status hadn't been updated in the system, the gate agent was kind enough to upgrade me to First for the PHL-YYZ flight. Since then, I enjoyed Envoy service several times commuting to MAD, whether a result of travel agent upgrades I purchased on eBay, miles, award redemptions, or even the occasional op-up.

When I moved to Vancouver Island, I was able to retain my status due to the LAS hub. Flying YVR-PHX-PHL-MAD, returning MAD-PHL-LAS-YVR allowed an overnight stopover in LAS on each trip. On one trip, we diverted to BWI on the outbound, due to fog in PHL. Although we eventually made it, the MAD flight had already departed. This allowed me, and my seatmate who was also travelling to MAD, an opportunity to discover PHL. Fog rolled in the next day, delaying the arrival of the aircraft departing to MAD. US was kind enough to route us PHL-AMS-MAD, ensuring we arrived at our destination. My seatmate from PHX ended up becoming a lifelong friend, visiting me in Tofino the next year.

Living in Tofino, a town of 1500 residents, LAS was an extreme contrast. Although my travels have subsided, I will always remember my multiple flights to MAD. Consistently, the connection was short enough that my checked bags would not make it. This allowed me to take the subway into town without being weighed down, purchase some clothing (and receive a travel voucher) on US' dime, and have my bag delivered the next day. US was never a premier airline, but was certainly consistent. Service recovery was good, when required, and on the first Star Mega Do I was lucky enough to have access to several of the US senior management team. Doug was down to earth, and I ended up sitting at the same table as him. Primarily, I will remember Frand Fernadez's very candidly answering my questions about US service to Canada.

Although my travels have subsided as of late, US' consistently great people will always be a fond memory. Whether I was CP or had no status, I was well looked after. Remember the ART/LEB fares? One of my first mileage runs. After another tag-on mileage run turned sour after a flight cancellation, US ensured I got to where I was going, fare rules be darned. The people at US appreciated my loyalty, regardless of what position they held.

Sure, there were some bad apples. I remember an Envoy flight where all I heard was one of the FA's and the in-charge constantly bickering - I think his name was Larry. His attitude was similar on several other flights where I encountered him, but it became part of US' charm.

I now live in YYJ, and with DL's recent announcement, AA/US will be the only major US carrier with no service to my home city. I've since moved to AC, and it looks like I'll have to stick with them for now. But my soft spot for US will no doubt bring me back to AA if there is even an opportunity.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Fun little story:

In August, 2008 I was flying back from DTW to PHX after visiting my brother who then attended the University of Michigan. I was a UA Premier (*S) flying in Y. The flight was oversold so I volunteered at the gate. The gate agent announced at the end of boarding "well there are two seats left, one in First and one in Coach" to me and another passenger without a seat assignment. i said "well as I was volunteered, I think I should get the First Class seat" and he said "Okay, I agree". I couldn't believe my luck. It ended up being a very pleasant flight with a great crew and a decent meal:

Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr
I've always enjoyed the "city photos" that they have hanging up in the gate areas. I'm sure these will eventually disappear. The Tampa Bay one has the Skyway Bridge, and Seattle has the Space Needle. Two places I enjoy and so I always enjoy seeing the pictures in PHL. They have a bunch in BOS as well, and I suspect elsewhere.
I was going to mention those, too. There are still a bunch hanging in PIT. Posters for SJU and SEA come to mind. A little worse for the wear, and a lot of them are to cities that US used to serve non-stop from PIT. Sigh...

I also recall that there were boatloads in B and C at PHL. Maybe there still are?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
For me, it was the vestiges of HP / America West "Cactus", memories of my friends René B. the HP FA and Kathy S. the US FA, (soon enough to be an AA FA as that bit gets implemented) and the few times I flew on US. The elimination of once-proud names of airlines (I flew many of them, from AirCal, Branniff, Eastern to PSA, Western to a lot in the middle.

As the US Airways brand and codes disappears, mostly October of this year, I'm seeing these grow.

Frequent Business Traveler: Photo Essay: A Tribute to US Airways.
Thanks for including our Photo Essay in this great thread. I had never flown US (other than the shuttle) prior to the merger and now I've flown it about six times, and had excellent service up front in each. Gets me all misty eyed....
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyallegheny
I was going to mention those, too. There are still a bunch hanging in PIT. Posters for SJU and SEA come to mind. A little worse for the wear, and a lot of them are to cities that US used to serve non-stop from PIT. Sigh...

I also recall that there were boatloads in B and C at PHL. Maybe there still are?
Yes, still a lot at B/C in PHL. It's my home airport and I will miss them when they are gone. One of the first business trips I ever took was to SEA, and when I see that picture I always think back to the early part of my career.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:41 pm

PIT is a practically a US Airways museum. Many of them are quite faded but still hang...for the time being.

The far left is Rome (which I have a poster of), center is New York, and I think the right is San Juan.

And another favorite...I wish I could get my hands on this one.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by LPCJr
I've always enjoyed the "city photos" that they have hanging up in the gate areas. I'm sure these will eventually disappear. The Tampa Bay one has the Skyway Bridge, and Seattle has the Space Needle. Two places I enjoy and so I always enjoy seeing the pictures in PHL. They have a bunch in BOS as well, and I suspect elsewhere.
I always notice those in BOS, walking between the US club and the shuttle gates. I bet they'll be left there for a long time.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by connorc
PIT is a practically a US Airways museum. Many of them are quite faded but still hang...for the time being.
Potentially off topic, but as long as we're paying tributes to US...

In the first PIT photo, you can see the bottom of a banner for the "Yesterday's Airport of Tomorrow" exhibit, which tells the story of the old Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

Given the loss of the US hub, a fitting slogan for the current airport is "Tomorrow's airport of yesterday."
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Potentially off topic, but as long as we're paying tributes to US...

In the first PIT photo, you can see the bottom of a banner for the "Yesterday's Airport of Tomorrow" exhibit, which tells the story of the old Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

Given the loss of the US hub, a fitting slogan for the current airport is "Tomorrow's airport of yesterday."
Those banners have always amused me:

Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IcHot
Here's the recipe for a drink to toast to. You can look up the name of the cocktail if you wish.

1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz rum
1/2 oz tequila
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 oz 7-Up® soda
Was just reading and fell off my chair!

The, er, "Alpha Mike Foxtrot"!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Busy day at PIT?

My favorite memory of US? Getting Out More...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
In 1976 I met a girl at college, but when I went to her room a week later to see her again she had dropped out. This developed into a long-distance relationship DCA-BUF. Fortunately we got deregulation and IIRC "Super Saver" tickets, 40% off if you bought a certain length of time in advance and stayed at least 7 days. So we learned the "back to back" trick. A lot of the flights stopped in SYR or ROC. This was Agony, sorry, Allegheny Airlines. Probably a lot of them were DC-9s. I don't think the B737 was flying yet.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redtop43
In 1976 I met a girl at college, but when I went to her room a week later to see her again she had dropped out. This developed into a long-distance relationship DCA-BUF. Fortunately we got deregulation and IIRC "Super Saver" tickets, 40% off if you bought a certain length of time in advance and stayed at least 7 days. So we learned the "back to back" trick. A lot of the flights stopped in SYR or ROC. This was Agony, sorry, Allegheny Airlines. Probably a lot of them were DC-9s. I don't think the B737 was flying yet.

Wow! FF driven by necessity.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

For a time, these old "slick tube" earlier 737s were my commuter vehicles. And I was an aviation photographer in Bruce Drum's "stable" by avocation (see title); I shot thousands of Kodachrome slides for DDM photography.

HP Boeing 737-277 N180AW by Bruce Drum

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 28, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.