Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: Expiring (28 Feb 2015) SWU giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As in past years, we often have very generous members of our community give away expiring systemwide upgrades. A reminder that upgrades will generally only be confirmed for flights on/before the 28 Feb expiry. (In the past, upgrades could sometimes be applied to flights post-expiration date as long as it could be confirmed. However, AA has recently become more strict. See this thread for more information: New *internal* changes will 90%+ eliminate post-expiration use of SWUs

Please familiarise yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to the rules will be removed.
Space
  • Asking for SWUs is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWUs must given freely, with no strings attached.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itins, international vs. domestic itins, etc.).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients.
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, or trade SWUs by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. (Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.)

Thanks everyone!

/AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED: Expiring (28 Feb 2015) SWU giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat, Avis First
I sent out a few PMs in response to some of the offers and it seems one of the legs of my trip was taken care of by a FT'er. I'm not sure who it was but THANK YOU very much. I hope to be able to pay it forward some day soon myself.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
PM if you need 1 and there is availability on your flight... preference to intl/long flights.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:00 am

<gone>

Last edited by Colin; Feb 27, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: I got to play AA Executive Platinum for a year due to a fluke promotion.
Thought I had a FT handle from a while ago... apparently not. Anyway,

I've got two SWUs available. PM me with flight info.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cphurley
PM if you need 1 and there is availability on your flight... preference to intl/long flights.
I still have 1 left... PM me if you have availability on a confirmed flight. It appears the agents are allowing past 2/28 for me... although the one I just gifted was a 3/1 flight... I think they'll allow later flights.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cphurley
I still have 1 left... PM me if you have availability on a confirmed flight. It appears the agents are allowing past 2/28 for me... although the one I just gifted was a 3/1 flight... I think they'll allow later flights.
you must have VIPs expiring beyond Feb 2015
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: I got to play AA Executive Platinum for a year due to a fluke promotion.
They've told me that I cannot use mine past 2/28. Granted, I'm not requalifying as an ExPlat or am a 'high value' customer either.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 am

Slightly off-topic as I am not actually offering a SWU.
But I did have one expiring this month so on my way back from Buenos Aires this week I got a very helpful check-in agent at EZE who confirmed that my JFK flight was still C1 and spent about 10 minutes searching the passenger list for a "suitable" candidate to upgrade. Eventually he found a solo, 70 year-old woman, Argentinian, no-status, who needed a wheelchair assist, and processed the upgrade immediately.
As I was stretching my legs after dinner I passed by her seat (agent told me which seat she would be in); she still had a glass of wine in her hand, a smile on her face, and looked happy. I would like to think it was the first time she had travelled long-haul J, but obviously can't be sure.
Sorry I didn't offer it to a fellow FTer, but I think it was the best use of an expiring SWU.

Happy Travels.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Many thanks to all those of you who offered SWU. My own flight to ICN tomorrow just opened up to C2, so I sent a couple of PMs in hopes of that last minute miracle upgrade. Happy travels to all!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:04 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Closing this thread. Thanks to all the generous members who offered their SWUs this year! As we get closer to the end of the year, we'll likely open up another thread for Feb 2016 expiration.

In the meantime, a general reminder that bartering/trading/selling SWUs is not allowed on FT and is also not allowed by the AAdvantage program.

/Moderator

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 3, 2015 at 8:54 am Reason: closing thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.