Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVED: Expiring (28 Feb 2015) SWU giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!

As in past years, we often have very generous members of our community give away expiring systemwide upgrades. A reminder that upgrades will generally only be confirmed for flights on/before the 28 Feb expiry. (In the past, upgrades could sometimes be applied to flights post-expiration date as long as it could be confirmed. However, AA has recently become more strict. See this thread for more information: New *internal* changes will 90%+ eliminate post-expiration use of SWUs

Please familiarise yourself with these ground rules. Posts that do not conform to the rules will be removed.
Space
  • Asking for SWUs is not permitted! Donors will post here, and members are welcome to communicate via PM from there. If you don't see an open request, don't ask for one.
  • In order to comply with AAdvantage T&C, SWUs must given freely, with no strings attached.
  • Out of respect of our generous donors, please follow their instructions and contact them with the information they request.
  • Donors can ultimately make the choice of recipient (tenured/contributive member, longer flight itins, international vs. domestic itins, etc.).
  • This thread is NOT for the discussion of ethics, entitlement, or nomination of charities/groups as recipients.
  • If anybody offers to sell, buy, or trade SWUs by PM, please contact the moderators immediately, as this is a violation of AAdvantage and FlyerTalk rules. (Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken.)

Thanks everyone!

/AAdvantage forum moderators
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVED: Expiring (28 Feb 2015) SWU giveaway thread [PLEASE READ WIKI!]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Don't want to cause problems, but are you sure that this giveaway is kosher? Didn't AA terminate the guy who had bought an original unlimited F AAirpass and then used to fly and invite random people at the departure gate to join him in F free? Same thing there; no money changed hands. Just sayin'....
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Don't want to cause problems, but are you sure that this giveaway is kosher? Didn't AA terminate the guy who had bought an original unlimited F AAirpass and then used to fly and invite random people at the departure gate to join him in F free? Same thing there; no money changed hands. Just sayin'....
It's 100%, completely fine.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The difference here is the gifting of a SWU does not bump someone from F like that guy was doing. The upgrade will only be processed if appropriate inventory is available. An AAirpass holder is guaranteed a seat on the flight even if AA needs to bump another passenger (as I understand it) and inviting a guest along doubled the issue for AA.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ashkale
PM Pls.
Many thanks for your fast and generous help, ashkale! ^^
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, AA, UA, DL, SPG, AMEX
I have 1 SWU left. Anyone having a flight within next 10 days and with confirm SWU upgrade in C class for international itinerary can P.M.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, CC Silver
I've got 4 SWU to give away. Preferably to intercontinental or transcon travel and those who not require waitlist. PM me please.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Hi everyone! Please take a look at the Wikipost for this thread, where we've added some "ground rules" for this thread.

Thanks, as always, for the generous members who give away their SWUs to the community! ^:-:

/Moderator
Old Feb 15, 2015, 1:07 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Are we allowed to publicly thank donors?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: US CP, AA PLT
Originally Posted by fedechat
Thanks murtuza for your generosity!.
I don't need one, but my advice to you is, please tried to give/share your SWUs to members with more than 200 messages and their account are at least 6 months old.
Active users (those who usually help) should have a high priority, after all, this is a forum where we all share experiences/help each others.
I don't have 200+ post, am semi-active, but had a child recently and couldn't use all of my SWU's. I have 3 SWU's remaining. I will log on sometime later this evening (after 8 pm EST). If you are interested please PM me with all of the flight information so I don't have to use too much time to give someone(s) a hook up. This is a great community that helped me to get to Chairman/EXP for 2 yrs with ease and I'd like to give back.

Make sure the flight is eligible - I don't have tons of time to stay on the line with AA.

***2 used for a longtime FTers grandparents to travel transcon tomorrow. 1 LEFT!!

Last edited by wazzupmac; Feb 15, 2015 at 3:43 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, CC Silver
The four SWUs I had to offer are now taken. I was a bit surprised over the lack of interest, as I only got 7-8 inquiries.

The lucky ones were the first one that contacted me, a semi-active FTer, and a longtime FTer with over 4000 posts.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:41 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by swy
Are we allowed to publicly thank donors?
Absolutely!

Apologies - a few previous notes of thanks were likely removed, as they were embedded with a request for a SWU. Doing surgical editing would have left the remaining part of the post oddly-worded and out of context. Thanks for your understanding. /Moderator
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gabbinho
The four SWUs I had to offer are now taken. I was a bit surprised over the lack of interest, as I only got 7-8 inquiries.

The lucky ones were the first one that contacted me, a semi-active FTer, and a longtime FTer with over 4000 posts.
Very nice gesture (from you and others). ^^
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I also have two SWUs to donate.
There should be confirmable inventory available, and I`d prefer to see them go towards international itineraries.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, LH, UA, TA, DL
Cool Anyone wants 2 AA SWUs?

I have 2 AA SWU to give away!
Only for international itineraries.
PM me for more information.

Please note: According to AA, SWUs cannot be applied if you have already requested an upgrade with miles or 500-mile stickers

Last edited by pmcarrion; Feb 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm Reason: Note from AA
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by pmcarrion
I have 2 AA SWU to give away!
Only for international itineraries.
PM me for more information.

Please note: According to AA, SWUs cannot be applied if you have already requested an upgrade with miles or 500-mile stickers
I do not have an international itinerary but was able to call in and have my requested upgrade removed in the event one of the other generous donators is able to accommodate my domestic flight.

Thank you all for doing this. Very kind of you.

Last edited by mgm32; Feb 17, 2015 at 4:14 pm Reason: Helpful information for others

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.