Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by LTH
I'm flying DFW-HKG this Friday 8/15th. At just about 48 hours out, there are only 6 remaining J seats as shown on aa.com. I'm worried...
Did you clear?

Tom in Hong Kong
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:04 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Did you clear?

Tom in Hong Kong
Yes I did There were about 5 seats left in J (as shown on seat map on aa.com) when I cleared. I had a very pleasant ride, I will continue to take this route if upgrade continues to clear with good chances.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Fwiw, DFW-HKG is C5 tomorrow (8/19) and C7 on 8/20.

HKG-DFW is C7 8/19, 8/20, & 8/21..
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I was eighth on the upgrade list at boarding for HKG-DFW on Aug. 16. I asked the agent if I had any chance to clear and she said "absolutely none, please board." So I boarded, and 5 minutes later while standing on the jet bridge waiting to get on the plane, she came running down after me with a new boarding pass. Miracles never cease.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014

Wow - looks like a reliable pattern of late in the week flights clearing pretty easily. Makes me wish I hadn't booked on a Monday, but we want a few extra days in Thailand. Also just curious - does C space technically show up if AA is clearing people off the wait list first? Or does C open up then wait list is cleared?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:08 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LucWise
I was eighth on the upgrade list at boarding for HKG-DFW on Aug. 16. I asked the agent if I had any chance to clear and she said "absolutely none, please board." So I boarded, and 5 minutes later while standing on the jet bridge waiting to get on the plane, she came running down after me with a new boarding pass. Miracles never cease.
I love stories with happy endings.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:20 pm

Wow. Did all 7 people in front of you get upgraded? How did you know you were 8th on the list?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Ross0
Wow. Did all 7 people in front of you get upgraded? How did you know you were 8th on the list?
I think two people ahead of me had cleared when I asked, but no, not everyone ahead of me cleared. For some reason, two people above me on the list did not clear. I have no idea why. And you can see the upgrade list on the iPhone app.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Could be that those two were waiting for J-->F upgrades and F was full?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:39 pm

I think two people ahead of me had cleared when I asked, but no, not everyone ahead of me cleared. For some reason, two people above me on the list did not clear. I have no idea why. And you can see the upgrade list on the iPhone app.
Wow, very interesting if you jumped the list. I had no idea you could see SWU waitlist on the iPhone app. Fortunately, I've never had a SWU go down to the wire, so have never been in a position to check.

Given, my HKG-DFW upgrade in Oct is not looking good, this is of interest to me. How long has the iPhone app showed the SWU waitlist?

Last edited by Ross0; Aug 20, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomofmaine
A safe/good guess.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Or that they only wanted upgrade if both could clear and only C1 was available.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Say the J cabin is full while there are still a few on the SWU list Y->J, but no upgrade requests from J -> F. If the F cabin still has empty seats, would they bump any J up to F to get the SWU Y's into J?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frudd38
Say the J cabin is full while there are still a few on the SWU list Y->J, but no upgrade requests from J -> F. If the F cabin still has empty seats, would they bump any J up to F to get the SWU Y's into J?
Possibly. I'd say its only likely though if they need to clear space in Y due to oversell/overbooking.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by frudd38
Originally Posted by mikelat
Possibly. I'd say its only likely though if they need to clear space in Y due to oversell/overbooking.
That's different though.

The answer to the question as asked is no, absolutely not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.