Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

I hope that pax were reaccommodated on CX in the ticketed class of service to the extent possible. Obviously eVIPs would not be honored, but hopefully flight award SAAver tickets (Z/U/T) would be.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D201 Safari/9537.53)

I hope that pax were reaccommodated on CX in the ticketed class of service to the extent possible. Obviously eVIPs would not be honored, but hopefully flight award SAAver tickets (Z/U/T) would be.
I know I had read on here that AA would protect upgrades in IRROPS on BA when flying TATL. Is that just due to the JV? Or do they do same protection on all OW carriers?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat

Is that how it usually works for confirmed SWU's? That would be quite unfortunate.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by frudd38
Is that how it usually works for confirmed SWU's? That would be quite unfortunate.
eVIPs are valid only on AA metal. So in an IRROPS situation, I'm guessing that the ticket would be reissued in the paid inventory (which would be for Economy seating). A complicating variable is that CX offers Premium Economy as well, with its own booking classes...

(FWIW, I have never had an eVIP honored on another carrier in an IRROPS situation. I was always stuck flying Economy. But AA did return the eVIP to my account.)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 3:17 pm

eVIPs are valid only on AA metal. So in an IRROPS situation, I'm guessing that the ticket would be reissued in the paid inventory (which would be for Economy seating). A complicating variable is that CX offers Premium Economy as well, with its own booking classes...

(FWIW, I have never had an eVIP honored on another carrier in an IRROPS situation. I was always stuck flying Economy. But AA did return the eVIP to my account.)
Returned eVIP should be expected at the least.. hope you got some compensation miles for that as well. Would definitely suck to be confirmed in J for that long haul and stuck in Y.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikelat
I know I had read on here that AA would protect upgrades in IRROPS on BA when flying TATL. Is that just due to the JV? Or do they do same protection on all OW carriers?
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=4870
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:35 pm

^
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Just booked HKG-DFW-HKG outbound Oct 4 and returning Oct 11. Applied EVIP and waitlisted for both flights.

HKG-DFW looks encouraging. 18 of 30 MCE seats open, 40 of 52 J seats open, and F8.

DFW-HKG coming back looks much tougher. 9 MCE seats open, 15 J seats open, and F2.

I'm surprised HKG-DFW flight so open right now since Oct 4 is in middle of China's Golden week where everyone is off Oct 1-7.

I just flew CX DXB-HKG-LAX-HKG-DXB in J this month so assuming my upgrades clear it'll be interested comparing CX vs AA.

I flew AA DFW-LHR in their 77W back in April paid J and AA pleasantly surprised me (and was much better than BA J Club World) so here's hoping the trend continues with AA continuing to pleasantly surprise.

Has AA started catering enough midflight snacks now on the DFW-HKG route or the food still gone halfway through the 15-17 hour flights?

Last edited by dchen2; Aug 13, 2014 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:21 am
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
I'm flying DFW-HKG this Friday 8/15th. At just about 48 hours out, there are only 6 remaining J seats as shown on aa.com. I'm worried...
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTH
I'm flying DFW-HKG this Friday 8/15th. At just about 48 hours out, there are only 6 remaining J seats as shown on aa.com. I'm worried...
What's got you worried?

Looks like it's J7 D5 I5.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTH
Please pardon my ignorance...but what do D5 and I5 indicate?
Of the seven remaining business class seats to be sold (J7), AA is willing to sell five of them as discount business class fares, either in fare buckets D or I. I is usually cheaper than D and D, of course, is generally cheaper than J (which is full fare business class).

I'm assuming that your "worry" arises out of your waitlisted upgrade (although you didn't say so). Upgrade inventory is "C" and currently, there isn't any C available. That doesn't mean there won't be any before Friday's departure - only that there is no C right now.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:30 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Of the seven remaining business class seats to be sold (J7), AA is willing to sell five of them as discount business class fares, either in fare buckets D or I. I is usually cheaper than D and D, of course, is generally cheaper than J (which is full fare business class).

I'm assuming that your "worry" arises out of your waitlisted upgrade (although you didn't say so). Upgrade inventory is "C" and currently, there isn't any C available. That doesn't mean there won't be any before Friday's departure - only that there is no C right now.
Yes my worry is my EVIP not clearing. I suppose there's no way to tell where I am on the list, so I'm not sure if I could make it even if all those 7 J seats were released into C.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LTH
Yes my worry is my EVIP not clearing. I suppose there's no way to tell where I am on the list, so I'm not sure if I could make it even if all those 7 J seats were released into C.
As far as I know, you can only tell with the AA app on your mobile phone about ~3 hours before the flight. This will show you the order of passengers for an upgrade.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:50 pm

How accurate is the seatmap on aa.com compared to what EF shows? I know some people don't automatically select their seats, but it should be fairly accurate? Just asked the AA agent on my waitlist status and although she wouldn't tell me what position I'm in, she mentioned there are a dozen seats left (aa.com showing 16)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
How accurate is the seatmap on aa.com compared to what EF shows? I know some people don't automatically select their seats, but it should be fairly accurate? Just asked the AA agent on my waitlist status and although she wouldn't tell me what position I'm in, she mentioned there are a dozen seats left (aa.com showing 16)
I assume it gets more accurate the closer you get to boarding. Very far out, it's harder to tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.