Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LTH
Yes my worry is my EVIP not clearing. I suppose there's no way to tell where I am on the list, so I'm not sure if I could make it even if all those 7 J seats were released into C.

Of course it is possible to see where you are on the list. Phone agents just aren't permitted to tell you, for good reason--your position on the list might change.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Hit the jackpot on AA137 today DFW-HKG.

Not only did I clear 4 days ago, non-status friends traveling with me and linked to my booking cleared at the gate and got the last two upgrade seats (they were 3 and 4 on the gate list and 4 seats cleared- don't even want to think about the consequences if only one of them had cleared). Surprised there wasn't a longer upgrade list as it stopped at 8. I had written off their chances of an upgrade when the flight went from J4 to J0 yesterday, but sometimes good things happen to good people.

Tom over Colorado on the way to Hong Kong
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
What's the consensus on clearing a SWU in Oct. or Nov? I didn't see a single day with milesAAver or C space for either month, though J is fairly open on the return flights.

Would like to book a HKG flight, but don't want to be stuck in MCE for 16 hours
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
What's the consensus on clearing a SWU in Oct. or Nov? I didn't see a single day with milesAAver or C space for either month, though J is fairly open on the return flights.

No one can speak authoritatively. If it happens, it'll likely be at the airport. If you absolutely can't stand the risk of sitting in MCE then don't book.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

You can draw conclusions from this very long thread. Basically:

-AA is rarely opening C early. With AA still building history and depth to this flight, they are holding seats as they watch for true purchasing power.
-AA are opening A into F faster than C. Trends show about 2 months out. My A upgrades for early September cleared in early July.
-It appears clearing a few days before the flight is common. Clearing at the gate is common.
-The loads coming from HKG back to DFW are heavier and it appears C is harder to get in that direction.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Wife and I are in similar boat. Booked in MCE in Oct, already worried as Biz cabin looks fairly heavily booked already. The day or two after donc't though, so I've set C alerts - by chance if a seat opens up for the day after, I'm calling AA and eating the change fee for a confirmed C upgrade. Will be interesting - I have a feeling if we clear at all it'll be at the gate, which isn't at all going to be good for our blood pressure. May also keep an eye out for last second CX awards.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wife and I are in similar boat. Booked in MCE in Oct, already worried as Biz cabin looks fairly heavily booked already. The day or two after donc't though, so I've set C alerts - by chance if a seat opens up for the day after, I'm calling AA and eating the change fee for a confirmed C upgrade. Will be interesting - I have a feeling if we clear at all it'll be at the gate, which isn't at all going to be good for our blood pressure. May also keep an eye out for last second CX awards.
Keep in mind that it'll be change fee + difference in fare. Booking close in may make the diff in fare too much to bear. I'd definitely take a $300 change fee to ensure I'd be in J from MCE. But I doubt it'd only be $300 as the fare is likely going to be more that close in.

I'd think the odds of CX awards opening up last minute are better. And I'd probably splurge to spend miles on CX F as good as it was on my SFO-HKG last year.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Also wondering - is it a pretty safe assumption that everyone who's in MCE has an upgrade request in? I would think so. I can't imagine many people are paying out of pocket for MCE, but you never know. I'm assuming that everyone in MCE has elite status of some sort. I sure would sleep easier if I knew where I was on the list.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelat
Keep in mind that it'll be change fee + difference in fare. Booking close in may make the diff in fare too much to bear. I'd definitely take a $300 change fee to ensure I'd be in J from MCE. But I doubt it'd only be $300 as the fare is likely going to be more that close in.

I'd think the odds of CX awards opening up last minute are better. And I'd probably splurge to spend miles on CX F as good as it was on my SFO-HKG last year.
Yeah you're right. Unless AA somehow miraculously releases C space on other flights further out, but unlikely that'll happen. Saving grace is even if stuck in MCE on way out there, we grabbed CX F (for her) and J (for me) awards for our trip back home
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Also wondering - is it a pretty safe assumption that everyone who's in MCE has an upgrade request in? I would think so. I can't imagine many people are paying out of pocket for MCE, but you never know. I'm assuming that everyone in MCE has elite status of some sort. I sure would sleep easier if I knew where I was on the list.
Its safe in terms of trying to gauge where you are on the upgrade list. But its entirely possible there are Plats in MCE who have not requested an upgrade and/or who are behind you in priority.

Also, for such a long flight, I'd bet there are a good number who think MCE is worth it when they can't swing the miles + co-pay for the upgrade.

Figuring worst case is that all MCE have requested upgrade is probably safe. But also probably a worst case.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
My J upgrade for next Tuesday came thru yesterday. I noticed they pulled my reservation, so called and was told they were processing it. I then received a notice from EF for C availability this morning. Still waiting for my return in Sept. I go to Bangkok 4 or 5 times a year, and have always used miles for J or F on Cathay. I now have 3 trips this fall on AA, all waiting for upgrades. I have never done this trip in Y, so here's hoping all my upgrades come thru. I'm booked mid week on all, so that will help.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by paullgo
My J upgrade for next Tuesday came thru yesterday. I noticed they pulled my reservation, so called and was told they were processing it. I then received a notice from EF for C availability this morning. Still waiting for my return in Sept. I go to Bangkok 4 or 5 times a year, and have always used miles for J or F on Cathay. I now have 3 trips this fall on AA, all waiting for upgrades. I have never done this trip in Y, so here's hoping all my upgrades come thru. I'm booked mid week on all, so that will help.
Hope they clear for you!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
your chances of clearing an upgrade on AA137 DFW-HKG outbound is relatively good. The route is not doing so well revenue and load factor wise; which anyone could have figured out from the constant advertising and promotions AA has been doing of HKG as of late. Found a return ticket in the first week of october for only $1300.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paullgo
Just curious - what did the seat map/availability look like when your upgrade confirmed?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I feel pretty lucky that this flight has remained very wide open. I booked about 6 weeks ago. Only 3 MCE seats were assigned. When upgrade came thru Thursday, only 20 J seats were assigned. Tuesday and Wed seem to be best chance days for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.