Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jfkeze
Is it me or all the C class to PVG just vanish? It seemed that almost every flight in 2015 was C7 but today C0... just when I was gonna pull the trigger, bam... :/
I noticed the same thing and also that all of the Z and U inventory are gone too. I had held a Z award for 2 pax and was looking for C for 2 paid pax. I can't gamble on the SWUs not clearing so if it doesn't show up before the award hold expires I guess the trip is off. My family will be disappointed. Add me to the group that whines "my SWUs are too hard to use..."
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm praying this flight isn't as bad as everyone is saying it isn't (HKG)....my odds look worse everyday. Question for other EXPs: I know wine/beer are free for all but will the Y FAs keep the cocktails coming for EXPs? That's the only way I can get through Y on such a long flight.
My DFW to HKG flight had a waitlist of 31. My HKG to DFW flight had a waitlist of 1. Dont know how to predict which flights have better upgrade chances. I have another one of these runs coming up in November (booked in July) and I am scared to think about what this flight would be like in coach. It's very long (especially to HKG ~17hrs).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:55 pm

Flying this route later this month, SWU hasn't cleared on either leg, but chances of clearing on DFW-HKG route look decent, chances of clearing on the return are next to none.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StevenH123
I noticed the same thing and also that all of the Z and U inventory are gone too. I had held a Z award for 2 pax and was looking for C for 2 paid pax. I can't gamble on the SWUs not clearing so if it doesn't show up before the award hold expires I guess the trip is off. My family will be disappointed. Add me to the group that whines "my SWUs are too hard to use..."
As an EXP, why would you hold an award ticket? You can cancel it any time later, up to the day of travel, without any penalty and get your taxes/fees refunded.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
As an EXP, why would you hold an award ticket? You can cancel it any time later, up to the day of travel, without any penalty and get your taxes/fees refunded.
Most of my miles are tied up on other tickets!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by StevenH123
Most of my miles are tied up on other tickets!
Can't put awards tix on hold if you don't have the miles..
Old Oct 10, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
What are the upgrade options for these flights without SWU's?

In particular I'm going to PVG at the end of the month.

I know there's miles + copay, which I think is 350 or 450 with 25K miles.

One time I sat next to an EXP she said that sometimes when lots of J seats are open you can just pay $750 period. Which I guess is the same amount of value as the above anyway.

Is there a miles only option? I think I've heard people talk about that, but has anyone done it on these Asian flights, how many miles? Like 50K?

Also, are any of these options prioritized above other options?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by riastradh
What are the upgrade options for these flights without SWU's?
Option 1...Miles + copay to PVG is 25k miles + $350.

Option 2...if you're on a full fare economy (Y or B), it's only 15k miles (no copay).

Option 3...if J is particularly open, or AA is oversold in coach, they will sometimes offer a LFBU (load factor based upgrade). These are $$ only, the amount varies by route. Generally only offered at the kiosks in the US, although they're sometimes available through the check-in AAgents or Admirals Clubs at foreign stations.

Other than the full fare economy, there's no miles only upgrade option. An award ticket to PVG in J is 55k miles each way.

SWUs and miles/copay are prioritized the same up until the upgrade list goes to airport control. LFBUs are only offered if there's no one on the upgrade waitlist.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Option 1...Miles + copay to PVG is 25k miles + $350.

Option 2...if you're on a full fare economy (Y or B), it's only 15k miles (no copay).

Option 3...if J is particularly open, or AA is oversold in coach, they will sometimes offer a LFBU (load factor based upgrade). These are $$ only, the amount varies by route. Generally only offered at the kiosks in the US, although they're sometimes available through the check-in AAgents or Admirals Clubs at foreign stations.

Other than the full fare economy, there's no miles only upgrade option. An award ticket to PVG in J is 55k miles each way.

SWUs and miles/copay are prioritized the same up until the upgrade list goes to airport control. LFBUs are only offered if there's no one on the upgrade waitlist.
That is very clear thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
33 upgrade requests on the DFW-HKG today including 4 EXPs.
Seems like it was oversold and they needed two volunteers.
Got my upgrade at the gate after being waitlisted since January.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze
33 upgrade requests on the DFW-HKG today including 4 EXPs.
Seems like it was oversold and they needed two volunteers.
Got my upgrade at the gate after being waitlisted since January.
I'm surprised of the 33 on the WL there were only 4 EXPs.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
That's what the gate agent said, three people cleared at the gate before Boarding and guess the forth one cleared after...
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
I'm EXP on 137 today and did not clear - #16 on the list but it was a relatively close-in purchase for me (2 weeks ago). Definitely a long flight but tolerable.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by jlin011
I'm EXP on 137 today and did not clear - #16 on the list but it was a relatively close-in purchase for me (2 weeks ago). Definitely a long flight but tolerable.
Are you on 137 now?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Originally Posted by Ross0
Are you on 137 now?
Yep, back of the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.