Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Originally Posted by frudd38
Has anyone failed to clear their SWU to J yet as EXP on this route? Starting to get slightly concerned with a few weeks to go but now showing 17 J seats left available on the dfw-hkg leg.
I bought at about 10 days out with ~15-20 seats showing open on the seatmap. My upgrades both cleared at the 24 hour mark. I was similarly worried.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Has anyone failed to clear their SWU to J yet as EXP on this route? Starting to get slightly concerned with a few weeks to go but now showing 17 J seats left available on the dfw-hkg leg.
Originally Posted by BrianV
I bought at about 10 days out with ~15-20 seats showing open on the seatmap. My upgrades both cleared at the 24 hour mark. I was similarly worried.
Based on what I've seen on the DFW-HKG leg, I wouldn't start worrying until they announce boarding for Group 2
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by LAXative
Based on what I've seen on the DFW-HKG leg, I wouldn't start worrying until they announce boarding for Group 2
Haha.. I guess I should also ask if anyone has failed to clear on HKG-DFW since that seems more hot
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I'm on Saturday's HKG-DFW flight. I've been looking at Expert Flyer daily and Y will zero out and the next day a couple seats will open up. Then it will zero out again. Rinse and repeat. I kind of figured they were overselling it. Called last night and agent confirmed it is oversold. I think I'll get to the airport early and try to make a few bucks on a bump!

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Just checked the loads for AA138 HKG-DFW for the next week. They are all oversold by at least 10.
How do yo know they are oversold by at least 10? Maybe you have some inside info? If so, do you know how many over AA138 is on Aug. 16?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by LucWise
I'm on Saturday's HKG-DFW flight. I've been looking at Expert Flyer daily and Y will zero out and the next day a couple seats will open up. Then it will zero out again. Rinse and repeat. I kind of figured they were overselling it. Called last night and agent confirmed it is oversold. I think I'll get to the airport early and try to make a few bucks on a bump!

How do yo know they are oversold by at least 10? Maybe you have some inside info? If so, do you know how many over AA138 is on Aug. 16?
More likely that you'll get op-uped rather than bumped.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
More likely that you'll get op-uped rather than bumped.
Thought about that. I've put in for the miles/co-pay upgrade but I've debated whether or not to cancel the waitlist request.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Thought about that. I've put in for the miles/co-pay upgrade but I've debated whether or not to cancel the waitlist request.
Looks like you are too late to use miles. There is F1 and J1 for sale. You need C to do miles and copay and with only J1 there is no chance (right now). Only saving grace is about 8 or 9 open seats so probably better chance of op-up. An op-up will (usually) be based on status. Crap shoot for platinum since there is a good chance there are EXPs waiting for upgrades too that will trump you.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Looks like you are too late to use miles. There is F1 and J1 for sale. You need C to do miles and copay and with only J1 there is no chance (right now). Only saving grace is about 8 or 9 open seats so probably better chance of op-up. An op-up will (usually) be based on status. Crap shoot for platinum since there is a good chance there are EXPs waiting for upgrades too that will trump you.
Too late? I put in the request three months ago ... I would imagine they clear the upgrade waitlist (SWUs, miles upgrade requests) before op-upping people.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Sorry misunderstood. I thought you were talking about doing miles now over the chance to op-up. I don't have enough data points to gauge how this will work for you. Every time I've done the trip I just bought into the cabin I wanted. But they always went out 100% full in F, J and MCE.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Too late? I put in the request three months ago ... I would imagine they clear the upgrade waitlist (SWUs, miles upgrade requests) before op-upping people.
Indeed, they will process those looking to upgrade on some form of currency before hitting the op-ups.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
After reading this thread a bit, it looks like HKG-DFW from Y-C has a pretty good chance of clearing. I'm looking at a JFK to Asia open jaw in late Nov 2014, thinking JFK-LAX-PVG for the outbound and BKK-HKG-DFW-JFK for the return and hoping to clear SWUs for 2 pax. HKG-DFW is critical to clear because it is overnight, and I'd rather do the 77W out of HKG than the 777 w angled flats out of PVG on the return.

Flights are in late Nov or early Dec (lots of flexibility). Any tips for day of the week, etc for HKG-DFW? I've looked for C space and dont find any at all, so assume this is a buy and get on waitlist scenario. Just really want to make sure I optimize chance of getting into C for the return.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by stephem
After reading this thread a bit, it looks like HKG-DFW from Y-C has a pretty good chance of clearing. I'm looking at a JFK to Asia open jaw in late Nov 2014, thinking JFK-LAX-PVG for the outbound and BKK-HKG-DFW-JFK for the return and hoping to clear SWUs for 2 pax. HKG-DFW is critical to clear because it is overnight, and I'd rather do the 77W out of HKG than the 777 w angled flats out of PVG on the return.

Flights are in late Nov or early Dec (lots of flexibility). Any tips for day of the week, etc for HKG-DFW? I've looked for C space and dont find any at all, so assume this is a buy and get on waitlist scenario. Just really want to make sure I optimize chance of getting into C for the return.
Aren't both ways pretty much "overnight"?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:11 am
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephem

I've been monitoring the next couple of weeks and seems like it's the old Tue, Wed, and Thu with best chances of upgrade availability.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Aren't both ways pretty much "overnight"?
DFW-HKG leaves around noon. If you sleep in, you could power through and arrive in the evening and collapse there.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
DFW-HKG leaves around noon. If you sleep in, you could power through and arrive in the evening and collapse there.
and HKG-DFW leaves at 1:30pm, pretty much the same if calling this leg "overnight"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.