Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by ckx2
AA125 on 2/2 is F0 A0 J7 R3 I0 and wide open in economy. I need to get that upgrade lol.
EF alarm went off 72 hours prior to departure signaling C3. Tweeted AA and got upgraded within a minute.
ESpen36 and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:26 pm

Newbie here. I have made EXP for the first time and would like to use my 4 SWUs for a flight from MCO to HKG via DFW in May for myself and a friend. Leaving on a Sunday and returning on a Wednesday. I have signed up for expertflyer and there seems to be zero C inventory available no matter what dates I check. I understand that those won't be released early but it would be great. Here my questions:

- Do I have to call American after booking to apply the SWUs? I understand that I will be waitlisted if no C inventory available
- What are my chances of the SWU clearing in advance? I don't know if Sundays and Wednesdays are popular travel dates on the DFW - HKG routes.
- Could American on phone clear the upgrade during the booking process even though there is no C inventory?'
- How would you categorize my chances for the SWU clearing for 2 and me being EXP?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sebastian Spata
Newbie here. I have made EXP for the first time and would like to use my 4 SWUs for a flight from MCO to HKG via DFW in May for myself and a friend. Leaving on a Sunday and returning on a Wednesday. I have signed up for expertflyer and there seems to be zero C inventory available no matter what dates I check. I understand that those won't be released early but it would be great. Here my questions:

- Do I have to call American after booking to apply the SWUs? I understand that I will be waitlisted if no C inventory available
- What are my chances of the SWU clearing in advance? I don't know if Sundays and Wednesdays are popular travel dates on the DFW - HKG routes.
- Could American on phone clear the upgrade during the booking process even though there is no C inventory?'
- How would you categorize my chances for the SWU clearing for 2 and me being EXP?

Thanks
1. Yes. SWU could only be used by calling. You will be waitlisted if no C inventory available.
2. It depends. Keep an eye on EF alert, once C is available, call EXP line immediately. But if no, it will go down to airport waitlist then.
3. No. Even when C is available, some agent will not clear. In that case, hang up and call again.
4. It depends again, but remember they might give a solo pax first if there is only 1 seat left, even if your EQD is higher than that pax.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
1. Yes. SWU could only be used by calling. You will be waitlisted if no C inventory available.
2. It depends. Keep an eye on EF alert, once C is available, call EXP line immediately. But if no, it will go down to airport waitlist then.
3. No. Even when C is available, some agent will not clear. In that case, hang up and call again.
4. It depends again, but remember they might give a solo pax first if there is only 1 seat left, even if your EQD is higher than that pax.
Thanks. I guess it's all somewhat of a gamble. I might just book it and pray that it will clear.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I commute HKG-US on a way to regular basis. Fridays to Sundays are generally the peaks in both directions. Midweek not so bad. The DFW/HKG flight is surprisingly popular and ever since its commencement it is rare to see empty seats in any class though my flying is usually Sunday/Monday Eastbound and Friday/Saturday Westbound, i.e. those peaks.

I recently booked 12 weeks out and got waitlisted for using a SWU, cleared in about a week for HKG-DFW.

A thought, as EXP you are going to be waitlisted for the domestic sectors automatically without using the SWUs. Why not save them up for another occasion? I find with the exception of the A321Ts there is always a good chance of a complementary upgrade without using the SWU.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I commute HKG-US on a way to regular basis. Fridays to Sundays are generally the peaks in both directions. Midweek not so bad. The DFW/HKG flight is surprisingly popular and ever since its commencement it is rare to see empty seats in any class though my flying is usually Sunday/Monday Eastbound and Friday/Saturday Westbound, i.e. those peaks.

I recently booked 12 weeks out and got waitlisted for using a SWU, cleared in about a week for HKG-DFW.

A thought, as EXP you are going to be waitlisted for the domestic sectors automatically without using the SWUs. Why not save them up for another occasion? I find with the exception of the A321Ts there is always a good chance of a complementary upgrade without using the SWU.
I wanted to add that too as well, but noting that OP's date is in May. That's usually the peak time (from last week of May till end of August), as there are a lot of students travelling between HK and US, on top of tourists. CX's fares reflect that as well. Fares in that period (and December) way more expensive than non-peak times.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

I thought that I only need one SWU for each direction. Meaning 1 SWU for MCO-DFW-HKG and another one for the return?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:11 pm

I wanted to add that too as well, but noting that OP's date is in May. That's usually the peak time (from last week of May till end of August), as there are a lot of students travelling between HK and US, on top of tourists. CX's fares reflect that as well. Fares in that period (and December) way more expensive than non-peak times.

All of this is great info but I am somehow less enthusiastic about booking this trip. I don't mind flying economy for flights less than 10 hours but this is way longer and I am also 6'5 tall.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:20 pm

I thought that I only need one SWU for each direction. Meaning 1 SWU for MCO-DFW-HKG and another one for the return?
Yes, 1 SWU for each direction. So 4 for 2 persons round trip.

All of this is great info but I am somehow less enthusiastic about booking this trip. I don't mind flying economy for flights less than 10 hours but this is way longer and I am also 6'5 tall.
I hear you. That's why I am very reluctant to fly AA to HKG, given the CX PE price is way more reasonable (and direct). My SWU are used on TATL which I am completely ok with not being clear. Not the best use but I can't fly 15 hours in Y any more.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:23 pm

I hear you. That's why I am very reluctant to fly AA to HKG, given the CX PE price is way more reasonable (and direct). My SWU are used on TATL which I am completely ok with not being clear. Not the best use but I can't fly 15 hours in Y any more.

What is your experience with not being cleared for the upgrade?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:35 pm

What is your experience with not being cleared for the upgrade?
I booked one month in advanced and secured an exit row seat (16L). Legroom was ok, but quite narrow in general. Food was meh to me.

I was no.4 in upgrade list but was told the LAX - HKG was cancelled earlier so AA moved some pax over to DFW, so only 1 SWU clear.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I have just learnt something new. Thanks very much. I was told (perhaps misheard) that the SWU was per sector not per journey with breaks. Off to have a little talk with AA!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:06 am

I have just learnt something new. Thanks very much. I was told (perhaps misheard) that the SWU was per sector not per journey with breaks. Off to have a little talk with AA!
My pleasure. For full context, one SWU could be applied to a one-way trip with up to 3 segments. See full details here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...thread-55.html

"Q. What are Systemwide Upgrades, exactly?

Electronic Systemwide Upgrades, abbreviated SWU, also previously referred to as eVIPs or VIPs, are electronic instruments earned as stated previously. SWU generally allow the owner to upgrade up to three segments, more or less in the same direction, on any flights AA flies with their own aircraft (not valid on partners or codeshares - must be marketed and operated by AA), on most paid, published fares to the next class of service. (Successful upgrades on a single SWU include EZE-MIA-JFK-LHR, NRT-LAX-DFW-LHR.) "
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

Traveling DFW-HKG on May 5. EF shows F3 A0 J0 R0 D0 I0 since almost a week ! Is this normal ?
It is a Saturday but found it odd that all the Business class seats are sold out !
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

Traveling DFW-HKG on May 5. EF shows F3 A0 J0 R0 D0 I0 since almost a week ! Is this normal ?
It is a Saturday but found it odd that all the Business class seats are sold out !
Saturday flight gets you in on Sunday to be ready for business Monday morning so not that unusual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.