Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Originally Posted by ziptbm
Are there additional taxes on the HKG-DFW when upgrading from Y to J with SWU?

My companion was upgraded with one of my SWUs and no additional taxes were due. I was just upgraded and required to pay additional Hong Kong taxes. Does this seem right? Paid it to secure for now, but odd that it was different between tickets.
I don't recall paying any additional taxes on a SWU upgrade. But I have found in the past that if the original ticket had taxes calculated incorrectly, then AA will collect them if they see the error during a reticket.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by ziptbm
Are there additional taxes on the HKG-DFW when upgrading from Y to J with SWU?

My companion was upgraded with one of my SWUs and no additional taxes were due. I was just upgraded and required to pay additional Hong Kong taxes. Does this seem right? Paid it to secure for now, but odd that it was different between tickets.
It will make sense if your ticket was issued after August 1st. Departures from HKG in F/J pay more tax than PEY/Y.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It will make sense if your ticket was issued after August 1st. Departures from HKG in F/J pay more tax than PEY/Y.
I had one issued well after that date, upgraded with SWUs but wasn't charged any additional taxes.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by olgsr
I had one issued well after that date, upgraded with SWUs but wasn't charged any additional taxes.
So was my experience departing out of HKG, but my upgrade cleared at the gate. Maybe OP had an issue about a reissuance over the phone(?) and the agent decided to stick with what the systems showed.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:27 am
hcz

Programs: AA
Cool

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
Agree, not something to rely on. However, I think this time of year brings some very interesting passenger distributions - if you look at LAX-HKG and DFW-HKG, many days through Xmas and just afterwards are 0'd out (and probably oversold) in coach, but plenty of business seats left. I think these are mainly leisure travelers - minimal corporate travel which is why business is empty. AA's revenue management actively engages in "cabin borrowing" (just like CX) so they will massively oversell economy, borrowing the inventory from business. Given the passenger mix around the holidays, I predict this will lead to an op-up situation for these flights, irrespective of eVIP upgrades. Of course this is unpredictable and shouldn't be relied on, but I think some people are going to get free upgrades from AA for Xmas!
I flew AA126 HKG-DFW on 12/26. Business was indeed very empty even after all upgrades cleared in advance (No waitlist at the airport). Economy wasn't full either. As Gold I got mileage upgraded at T-36, which seemed a little too early than usual...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Same for HKG-DFW on 12/24. My SWU cleared about 36 hours prior to departure, and that was into a half-empty J cabin. I believe everyone who requested an upgrade cleared.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Very little paid J/F traffic over the holidays - definitely a great time to upgrade!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 am

I flew EWR-HKG via DFW on the 2nd January. Due to weather in Dallas we arrived at the gate for DFW-HKG at 10:37. Departure time was 10:45. The gate was already closed so we had a long rerouting via LAX arriving in HKG 18 hours late. Within a couple of minutes of us arriving at the gate in DFW a huge crowd of people turned up for the same flight. The agent said 60-80 people ended up missing their connection to that flight

What I do not understand is why they did not hold the flight to allow connecting passengers to make it. Surely the cost of rerouting all those passengers must have been huge (we flew CX from LAX) Is there no one at AA who manages this? Surely they can see when the connecting flights are due to arrive and by delaying departure 10 minutes 80% of connecting passengers will make it, saving AA money in reroutes, putting passengers in hotels, compensation etc

The plane didn’t push back from the gate until 10:56 and taking off until 11:17. I just don’t understand AA’s logic here
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Herostratus
I flew EWR-HKG via DFW on the 2nd January. Due to weather in Dallas we arrived at the gate for DFW-HKG at 10:37. Departure time was 10:45. The gate was already closed so we had a long rerouting via LAX arriving in HKG 18 hours late. Within a couple of minutes of us arriving at the gate in DFW a huge crowd of people turned up for the same flight. The agent said 60-80 people ended up missing their connection to that flight

What I do not understand is why they did not hold the flight to allow connecting passengers to make it. Surely the cost of rerouting all those passengers must have been huge (we flew CX from LAX) Is there no one at AA who manages this? Surely they can see when the connecting flights are due to arrive and by delaying departure 10 minutes 80% of connecting passengers will make it, saving AA money in reroutes, putting passengers in hotels, compensation etc

The plane didn’t push back from the gate until 10:56 and taking off until 11:17. I just don’t understand AA’s logic here
Perhaps they had weighed in the cost of missed onward connections in HKG if they held the flight. And the turnaround time for the plane to fly back to LAX in HKG is also very tight.

I may have thought otherwise if I was in your position but the thing that the US3 does right over foreign carriers is the frantic borderline-OCD obsession with pulling flights out on time (whether this really happens, however, is another story.)
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herostratus
...Is there no one at AA who manages this?
There certainly is, very closely and carefully-- and factoring in so many things, a passenger can't make any informed judgements about same.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Odds of Upgrade with No Status

Booking now, what are the odds that I can upgrade given I have no status with AA (oneworld Ruby) on this flight in late March/early April? Anyone have any thoughts as to whether availability would be better on this route or LAX-HKG?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by jbkraft
Booking now, what are the odds that I can upgrade given I have no status with AA (oneworld Ruby) on this flight in late March/early April? Anyone have any thoughts as to whether availability would be better on this route or LAX-HKG?
Anecdotally, I think the reports are that it is easier to upgrade on the LAX flight than the DFW flight. Again, purely anecdotal.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
Do J seats ever go out empty on this route or do they always fill them up last minute.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by nwa330
Do J seats ever go out empty on this route or do they always fill them up last minute.
Between double-digits worth of upgrade requests that typically go unfulfilled plus non-revs, I've never seen empty J seats on this route. Not saying it's never happened, but it would be a very rare occurance.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Between double-digits worth of upgrade requests that typically go unfulfilled plus non-revs, I've never seen empty J seats on this route. Not saying it's never happened, but it would be a very rare occurance.

-FlyerBeek
Agree, although I think people will have a LOT of success with upgrades in the days surrounding January 28 (which is Chinese New Year), as loads are extremely low during this time, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are empty J seats then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.