Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I've been fortunate enough to use my SWU for the SFO-LAX-HKG-LAX-SFO routes pretty steadily thus far. Looking to go later this month and see that PE is now officially on the flight and seats are available for the picking.. Most likely, it's going to be a J-> F upgrade around for me though. I'll even accept the SFO-DFW-HKG-DFW-SFO routing if it gets me the upgrades.
Just as an FYI, DFW-HKG-DFW seems to be a harder UG than the LAX-HKG option. Hope all is well!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just as an FYI, DFW-HKG-DFW seems to be a harder UG than the LAX-HKG option. Hope all is well!
IKR!!! Maybe the AA.com gods are tossing me a bone or two with the routing. At the moment, it's widely available to apply SWU for instant upgrades on all legs.

All is well here in chilly northern CA. Hopefully that will change later this month as it tends to finally and consistently warm up for us that live close to the Bay.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:06 am

I just called to waitlist an SWU from PE -> J. The agent took down my CC because there are premium class taxes collected when departing HKG. Is this correct? Does anyone know the amount?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I just called to waitlist an SWU from PE -> J. The agent took down my CC because there are premium class taxes collected when departing HKG. Is this correct? Does anyone know the amount?
An additional 20HKD (less than 3 bucks)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: American Plat Exec
I tried to UPG this time last year. I am Platinum. When I left my home, there were 11 "unassigned seats" in Business, and the Platinum desk thought I would be able to UPG at the gate. But gate agent wouldn't let me - claimed that all inventory had gone to Platinum Execs ahead of me. Hoped to UPG on return from HKG, because of low load factors, but found that AA had cancelled previous day's flight (blaming strong winds, which really did not exist), thus no room to upgrade. I find it amazing how airlines can decide to inconvenience passengers when it suits them, but if we have an emergency, and we bought anything other than full fare, our monies are forfeit. Contracts of Carriage are effectively worthless.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lord Bowdon
I tried to UPG this time last year. I am Platinum. When I left my home, there were 11 "unassigned seats" in Business, and the Platinum desk thought I would be able to UPG at the gate. But gate agent wouldn't let me - claimed that all inventory had gone to Platinum Execs ahead of me. Hoped to UPG on return from HKG, because of low load factors, but found that AA had cancelled previous day's flight (blaming strong winds, which really did not exist), thus no room to upgrade. I find it amazing how airlines can decide to inconvenience passengers when it suits them, but if we have an emergency, and we bought anything other than full fare, our monies are forfeit. Contracts of Carriage are effectively worthless.
What does the cancellation of the previous day's flight, that you were not on, have to do with your travel? Are you claiming that AA inconvenienced you and violated the CoC because they didn't make an upgrade available to you?

11 unassigned seats doesn't mean 11 available for sale, never mind 11 available for upgrade. In fact, I would be very surprised if on the day of departure, 11 seats in J were available for purchase. And any upgrades into J would rightly have gone to Executive Platinum or Concierge Key members before they were made available to you.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Exp with ~19k rolling EQD attempting an eViP upgrade on 126. I was 22 of about 45 when the flight closed. So, not great, if I’m honest.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:38 pm

CNY festival goers perhaps. I know I had plans to be going in fours days myself. Plans were to have a little pre-cruise vacation in HKG before boarding cruise ship that would be arriving in HKG on Feb 5th.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
I was headed to DFW, not HKG.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Originally Posted by bpauker
Exp with ~19k rolling EQD attempting an eViP upgrade on 126. I was 22 of about 45 when the flight closed. So, not great, if I’m honest.
Yeah, I've never had an issue clearing waitlists for LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX, usually clearing anywhere from several weeks prior, to T-72 -- my SWU percentage is 100% for those routes.

I'm at T-5 days now for HKG-DFW and J seats available for sale went from 10+ seats a few weeks ago to ~5-6 seats, to only 1 seat left today. EXP with about 20-22k rolling EQD, but I don't think I'll make this one...

Not sure it would have made a difference, but I wish I had checked the SWU request in my trip/itinerary earlier though. I had initially requested it months ago but only found out several weeks after that the EXP agent didn't put me on the waitlist correctly... lesson learned!
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
had no problem going for J to F (3x this year, at time of booking usually 2 months out)
found some deals in J for under $2000, and I understand that F on AA is not the best when you compare to F on other OW airlines.. but needed to use SWU's.
just to note: coach on that routing was $1600...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Yeah, I've never had an issue clearing waitlists for LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX, usually clearing anywhere from several weeks prior, to T-72 -- my SWU percentage is 100% for those routes.

I'm at T-5 days now for HKG-DFW and J seats available for sale went from 10+ seats a few weeks ago to ~5-6 seats, to only 1 seat left today. EXP with about 20-22k rolling EQD, but I don't think I'll make this one...

Not sure it would have made a difference, but I wish I had checked the SWU request in my trip/itinerary earlier though. I had initially requested it months ago but only found out several weeks after that the EXP agent didn't put me on the waitlist correctly... lesson learned!

Good Luck!! Leaving today LAX-HKG and returning perhaps the day after you... Still waiting for the SWU to clear..
SpeedRicer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’m about to do an inter-Asia flight from Osaka to Hong Kong to LAX and I’m really freaked out about the political situation there right now.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m about to do an inter-Asia flight from Osaka to Hong Kong to LAX and I’m really freaked out about the political situation there right now.
Ummm... why? It's highly, highly unlikely to impact the airport at this point. It's not impossible of course, but extra security, etc. was put in place at the airport and to my knowledge no further impact has occurred. We just flew LAX-HKG-DPS round trip a couple weeks ago and noticed nothing, whatsoever, during transit through HKG.

Regards
JJeffrey, no1cub17 and oopl like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... why? It's highly, highly unlikely to impact the airport at this point. It's not impossible of course, but extra security, etc. was put in place at the airport and to my knowledge no further impact has occurred. We just flew LAX-HKG-DPS round trip a couple weeks ago and noticed nothing, whatsoever, during transit through HKG.

Regards
Heck, I was in Hong Kong a month or so ago and it was fine. Definitely would not avoid the city, let alone the airport.
JJeffrey and oopl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.