Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi there,

Traveling DFW-HKG on May 5. EF shows F3 A0 J0 R0 D0 I0 since almost a week ! Is this normal ?
It is a Saturday but found it odd that all the Business class seats are sold out !
May Day long week off in China (plus May/Labour/Worker's Day on May 1 almost all over Asia)
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by nov11
May Day long week off in China (plus May/Labour/Worker's Day on May 1 almost all over Asia)
Well well well!!! Now I am on to why my meetings are perhaps in limbo.. I leave for HKG Tuesday and am slated to return on May 1st. Meetings on 30th and 1st are not confirmed yet. Makes my Thursday and Friday meetings just that much more intense... Just waiting for the SWU to clear for the return.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Nobody (Emirates Etihad Thai Air Hong Kong Air Scoot Nobody) HHonors Diamond
Ok my first time to use my Expert Flyer subscription as I wait to see how this unfolds. Wait listed for a Miles + Copay Upgrade from P to J for JULY 9 AA 125 DFW-HKG ( Showing 0 C and 7 J still available for award) Seat map showing 18 white seats left in J. Anybody that makes this run frequently have an opinion to if and when they open C inventory (if at all) Also WIKI Shows equal priority between SWU and a Miles + Copay award. Is that confirmed?

Last edited by LATraveler1963; Jun 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm Reason: Added Information to previous post
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Your chances are about 70% it will clear if you were using a SWU; my understanding is that SWUs have higher priority and then of course based on Elite level and rolling 1 year revenue.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I believe it has been said on here that Mileage + Copay are the same upgrade priority "bucket" as SWU. This poster's problem is that they are Gold... All CK EXP PRO PLT requests will be handled before theirs regardless of the upgrade instrument being used.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Thanks for clarifying. So basically, the OP has zero chance unless the flight is empty; this is still a hard route to clear. I always find a lot of last minute business travelers who are connecting through NRT opt to HKG then opt for the non-stop
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LATraveler1963
Ok my first time to use my Expert Flyer subscription as I wait to see how this unfolds. Wait listed for a Miles + Copay Upgrade from P to J for JULY 9 AA 125 DFW-HKG ( Showing 0 C and 7 J still available for award) Seat map showing 18 white seats left in J. Anybody that makes this run frequently have an opinion to if and when they open C inventory (if at all) Also WIKI Shows equal priority between SWU and a Miles + Copay award. Is that confirmed?
As other have mentioned, irrespective of Miles/Copay or SWU, obviously first and foremost decider is your elite status. If your FT profile is correct and you are in fact Gold, unfortunately your odds, though not impossible, are exceedingly low to clear this upgrade. There 4 other elite status levels in front of you before M/CP or SWU come into play.

Regards
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Nobody (Emirates Etihad Thai Air Hong Kong Air Scoot Nobody) HHonors Diamond
Actually my Gold Status wouldn't even kick in until after this flight (my estimation) Most of my previous international travel was on Etihad until they stopped the DFW-AUH nonstop. On a positive note, i received an alert for my return trip on 31 JULY from ExpertFlyer and went to AA.com and the upgrade was already shown in my itinerary, just needed to pick a seat and voila, done.
Still hoping for the outbound segment as well
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LATraveler1963
Actually my Gold Status wouldn't even kick in until after this flight (my estimation) Most of my previous international travel was on Etihad until they stopped the DFW-AUH nonstop. On a positive note, i received an alert for my return trip on 31 JULY from ExpertFlyer and went to AA.com and the upgrade was already shown in my itinerary, just needed to pick a seat and voila, done.
Still hoping for the outbound segment as well
Well congrats, that is great news. There are always exceptions to the rule! This route historically had been quite challenging for even EXPs to get upgraded.

Regards
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Planned a last minute trip to HKG this coming weekend (6/30-7/1) and was able to snag an SWU immediately on booking on the return (7/1 AA 126). Pretty unusual since Asia-US on Sundays typically has high business travel demand and I've found to be hard to clear on this route. Maybe the July 4 holiday next week has something to do with it. Anyways, right now the 7/1 AA 126 is still J7 C3 if anyone is looking. I'd almost booked a premium economy ticket thinking I'd have no chance to clear, so always worth checking...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by asdf098
Maybe the July 4 holiday next week has something to do with it...
Most certainly. Holiday weeks are usually AA upgrade goldmines, even for normally tough routes like DFW-HKG.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by asdf098
Planned a last minute trip to HKG this coming weekend (6/30-7/1) and was able to snag an SWU immediately on booking on the return (7/1 AA 126). Pretty unusual since Asia-US on Sundays typically has high business travel demand and I've found to be hard to clear on this route. Maybe the July 4 holiday next week has something to do with it. Anyways, right now the 7/1 AA 126 is still J7 C3 if anyone is looking. I'd almost booked a premium economy ticket thinking I'd have no chance to clear, so always worth checking...
I would like to add the 7/31 AA 126 is still J7 C2
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 3MMiler
OK I'm sure it's on one of the hundreds of post on this thread but....

I'm booked in J with 45 days out trying to use SWU to F and outbound on a Friday is showing 6 and return on a Sunday is showing 7. What are the chances? Sorry to ask this, but I did try to do a search on the thread LOL! ExPlat btw. Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Harveynics
I'm booked in J with 45 days out trying to use SWU to F and outbound on a Friday is showing 6 and return on a Sunday is showing 7. What are the chances? Sorry to ask this, but I did try to do a search on the thread LOL! ExPlat btw. Thanks
Should be easy. I rarely see "paid" F seats, mostly UPG pax like yourself on the 77W in F. Also, as the J seats are so good (and personally better IMHO) certainly for privacy.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:18 pm

Odds are excellent that the upgrade inventory to F will clear well before departure; I've always had my upgrades to F clear in advance. Have a great trip. And worse case, I personally don't find the F cabin any better than sitting in the small business cabin immediately behind F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.