Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
What origin and destination is that the $3K price and is that a corp rate? I haven't ever been able to book at that price. Not doubting just exposing my ignorance.
Originally Posted by Gberg
Not very recent but there were ~$2,400 business fares from PHL (and many other east coast cities) in late May
Gberg nailed it. We bought two sets of two this year - early in the year. PBI-DFW-HKG and FLL-DFW-HKG. (Just finished the second one yesterday.)

Just looked at the cost... $2857 for each set. A friend did the same thing (LAX-DFW-HKG) for around the same prices. I bought a 3rd RT in October for about $3700.

We bought online at AA.com - no corporate discounts.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , AA EXP
flying today on #138 and they say im 18th on the list as exec plat trying to use the SWU!

Last edited by oxfordm5; Nov 19, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
How far out did you book?
Last one was Oct 3rd , the ones before were 2-4 months out
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Not sure if I mentioned this a while back on this thread, so apologies if this thought is a repeat...

One of the reasons upgrades are hard to snag on this flight - in addition to it being a great hard product in business - has been the ability to buy business class on this route in the low $3k's. When you consider the hard product, the redeemable miles and the EQM/EQP for this route, for $3k+/- it is a pretty good deal.
I would book this flight all day for 3K ..I have never seen that fare !
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I think you really need to provide more details and also define "shenanigans". Since you are a member of this board and obviously following this thread you should be as well informed as other traveler. I think there are flaws in the system but not sure I would call it shenanigans.

Ok , mcghat im here at HKG right now and no one can tell me what # I am on the UG list I called the exec plat # and the agent just told me " she cant tell me because it would cause animosity among the passengers"
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by oxfordm5
I would book this flight all day for 3K ..I have never seen that fare !
As Gberg said, they were around earlier this year in May - for closer to $2400 out of some cities. We paid a "premium" at closer to $3k!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I have booked and flown this flight several times for around 2300-2600. ICN-HKG-DFW-USA-DFW-HKG-ICN. SWU has ALWAYS cleared from J to F. Doing it again next month but routed XXX-ORD-NRT-ICN to fly 787 which i like just as much
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I checked the list for today... 42 people on the upgrade list for 137, and it looked like 6 cleared at the gate.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by oxfordm5
Ok , mcghat im here at HKG right now and no one can tell me what # I am on the UG list I called the exec plat # and the agent just told me " she cant tell me because it would cause animosity among the passengers"
For AA138, the upgrade list never shows up through the app either. In the past, the check in lady at the airport express station has provided some info when asked.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by skit53
For AA138, the upgrade list never shows up through the app either. In the past, the check in lady at the airport express station has provided some info when asked.
Huh? Every time I have been on 138 I have been able to access the upgrade list through the app.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Hi Everyone - so glad I found this thread. I live in Hong Kong and fly this route multiple times a year, though always on a ticket purchased in some variation of economy.

I am flying 137/138 twice in the next four weeks, starting on Tuesday. I have a request in to use an SWU, and I will report back everything I can learn - including skit53's note about the check-in counter at the Airport Express station. I also have an EF account and will update you all on EF's usefulness here as well based on my own experiences. (Thanks to EF, I have been able to upgrade twice on these flights this year using money and miles prior to getting EXP this summer.)

Looking forward to contributing and learning! If anyone is planning to be in one of the CX lounges at HKG this Tuesday, PM me and maybe we can find time to trade experiences over a cold one.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Huh? Every time I have been on 138 I have been able to access the upgrade list through the app.
^^
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
So I did clear these flights, but noticed something strange. My theory is that the loading of C inventory and the upgrades are two separate tasks. This is only a single observation, but what I noticed was:

- At around T-28 I got an alert from ExpertFlyer letting me know C inventory was available. I know many have said they found it at T-25, but I got it sooner.

- I was in front of my computer at the time, so I checked the inventory, and sure enough it was there. I also checked the seat map that I had checked about 12 hours earlier, and it hadn't changed.

- I called in and they processed the upgrade no problem. I then checked the seat map again, and out of curiosity a few more times over the next few hours. Nothing changed except the seat I selected. A few hours later, pretty much all J seats were filled

It was a light load and almost everyone cleared, but it appears I was able to jump the queue. Does this make sense, and if so it would really change the strategy.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by bevoinva
This was a problem earlier in the year. Perhaps it has been fixed?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Looks like two of us cleared today, 11/23. I was #1 on the list since I checked in at DCA this morning and cleared about 15 minutes prior to boarding. Agents in the D club at DFW paged me and processed it from there which was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.