Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're right, that's certainly a good point-- a quick, quick look at CX's JFK-HKG shows a veritable sea of J9 D9 C9 I9 end of weekend/next week.
Holiday = Bad for Coach; Good for Premium availability

I flew DFW-CDG over Thanksgiving time, and it appears Non-Revs ended up in J due to almost no upgrade requests.

Of course my upcoming (in 3 weeks) DFW-HKG is already down to 20 J seats available, and every premium coach seat taken. Only saving grace is I was booked 4 months ago... so it still may clear. I honestly dont care too much, as it would be the significant other up front anyway. I'll be in MCE no matter what with my 2 rugrats. At least they understand that the armrests are non-negotiably MINE.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:17 am

My flight, out Monday the 23rd, is a bit different. MCE has always been full, but many of the cheapest Y fares are all gone (Sunday thru Sunday), but the preceding week has 7's all across Y.

Chinese New Year is February 19.

I'll be running around, but I can guest someone at HKG F lounge.

Last edited by zznoname; Feb 13, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just another data point, perhaps a little brighter than most: booked and requested less than 8 days from departure (both flights last week), selected dates based on business seat map and availability figures (10-20 seats open, availability in J buckets maxed out), upgrades in both directions cleared around 48 hours before departure. I noticed only 1-2 days per week with loads like this, otherwise J looked really full and certainly upgrades would be tough at best. My advice: if you are flexible on dates, wait until closer in to book, study the loads on EF, and a 1-2 day shift might make your chances significantly better.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I asked for data point upthread a little; to follow up my wife (Gold) and I (Explat) on same PNR appeared to clear ~48hrs out. The J7/I7 didn't appear to drop until 24 hrs out, then to J3...

I did not receive any C availability notice from an Expertflyer alert.

Booked about 10-12 weeks out.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:06 pm

Cut-off times for clearing EVIP upgrades

I know from personal experience that the EVIP clearance window is getting ever shorter, but I have a DFW/HKG flight (AA-137) in a little over 24 hours and AA tells me that although 30+ seats are unsold, the EVIPs may clear only on the morning of departure.

Is Doug Parker trying to sell as many upgrades as possible, before granting any crumbs to EXPs?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Anything is possible, of course, but AA's past policy has been to clear elite upgrades before offering them to non-elites for cash+miles. That said, this is a notoriously difficult flight to clear. Good luck.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You can also check the experience that others have posted w/regards to this flight, as it has its own thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...periences.html
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by golmaale
I know from personal experience that the EVIP clearance window is getting ever shorter, but I have a DFW/HKG flight (AA-137) in a little over 24 hours and AA tells me that although 30+ seats are unsold, the EVIPs may clear only on the morning of departure.

Is Doug Parker trying to sell as many upgrades as possible, before granting any crumbs to EXPs?
It isn't a matter of selling LFBUs. 137 is one of the hardest SWU to clear in the AA system. Reports of airport upgrade lists of 30+ passengers are not uncommon. Its a route that has a high volume of paid premium traffic and those pax tend to buy very close to departure.

Last edited by bdemaria; Feb 14, 2015 at 9:27 am
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:10 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread discussing upgrades on AA 137/138. Thanks! /Moderator
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Absolutely not. This is one thing I respect AA for not doing (selling last-minute upgrades out from under waitlisted elites).

I've seen this route almost full in business weeks prior to departure on many occasions. This is one route that probably defies Parker's usual bias against 3-class international F and large premium cabins.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:33 am

Pardon me, what does "MCE" stand for?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by TinDrum
Pardon me, what does "MCE" stand for?
Main Cabin Extra. https://www.aa.com/maincabinextra

AA's version of Economy Plus / Economy Comfort / Premium Economy, etc... On some AA aircraft (in particular, the 77W referenced in this thread) the seat and space are a significant improvement compared to regular economy.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I'm wondering whether anyone has experience with SWU's clearing for someone who does not have elite status with American, but is Chairman's Preferred. I understand that American will not clear the CP until 24 hours before, but based on what I'm reading here, the EXPs are having issues with clearing. Is a CP treated below EPs or are they simply placed in the upgrade list according to the time the upgrade was requested. Thank you for any enlightenment.

Last edited by cocobird; Feb 14, 2015 at 1:21 pm
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
so is there a way to ask or find out how many people are on the wait list for an upgrade when you are weeks out from the flight?

I would buy the business ticket if it looks that bad. But if there is 30 on a list with 30 seats available I would take those odds since the chance of all 30 being T PAX and or full far is slim. But who knows.

Any advice?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:20 pm

Are you talking about AA137 on February 15th? Hopefully your UG cleared, because this morning, 07.00 CDT, the Sunday flight was at C7 and still is:

Last edited by zznoname; Feb 14, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.