Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
At 9:45 CST this morning EF showed C7. Called EXP desk, and had them start processing our 2 UGs. It took awhile and the agent came back saying that I had no SWUss left, which is true, but my wife is also an EXP, and has some left..

Makes me wonder if I hadn't called in, what would have happened?? (we had told them to pull these from her account when we originally made the request on JANUARY 8th!)

Well, at the end of the day, got the upgrades, got some decent seats and our meal selections, so all is good!
I called to get my wife to clear and she said there was nothing she could do to clear it. I told her that if anyone called in right now to make a new request they would jump the queue and that they would be upgraded before my wife and she agreed and did just that and made a new request.

It appears that 137 is pretty light tomorrow on paid biz traffic as well as upgrades so I can only hope they had enough set back to process people on the list already since klrsmith appears to have cleared ok. I leave nothing to chance though and do not trust the system.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA PLAT
AA 137 11/19

A bit of a data point. I'm a Plat, who requested an upgrade Aug 2nd. Put EF on refresh this morning to look for C availability. 10:25 am EST C2 pops up. Was able to call and grab a J seat and jump the line. I did not receive an auto alert from EF. After months of stressing about this leg, I cannot believe how easy it was to upgrade.

Last edited by peabody711; Nov 18, 2015 at 9:47 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
Looking for advice

Hello all, newly minted ExPat here, who's SWU just posted this week. Looking for advice.

I travel to Asia twice per year and can fly into any hub (then unto Manila, where AA does not fly) and book about 6-8 weeks in advance; company only pays for coach.

I spent an hour looking in Feb 2016 and could not find an SWU confirmable at booking for this flight, now any 777-300 or 787 (new business seats).

Which would the experts suggest - book these routes, waitlist for SWU and hope OR book 777-200 and confirm SWU at booking?

THANKS!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by MCOSWAFlyer
Hello all, newly minted ExPat here, who's SWU just posted this week. Looking for advice.

I travel to Asia twice per year and can fly into any hub (then unto Manila, where AA does not fly) and book about 6-8 weeks in advance; company only pays for coach.

I spent an hour looking in Feb 2016 and could not find an SWU confirmable at booking for this flight, now any 777-300 or 787 (new business seats).

Which would the experts suggest - book these routes, waitlist for SWU and hope OR book 777-200 and confirm SWU at booking?

THANKS!
I would try PVG (despite 787 having less seats). HKG is pretty much a no go with daily list of 30 plus people. If you do try that, mid week is best. NRT is a no go as they are still using 772's, with angled "lie flats".
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by prw555
NRT is a no go as they are still using 772's, with angled "lie flats".
If you can confirm that flight up front, versus taking your chances at the gate on a HKG flight and possibly not clearing at all, I'd book the NRT flight right now.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
If you can confirm that flight up front, versus taking your chances at the gate on a HKG flight and possibly not clearing at all, I'd book the NRT flight right now.
Yep.

Regards
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by tom911
I agree, I doubt it there is any international route where you can confirm an SWU at booking on the 77W, 787, refitted 772 or even the 763. Take the SWU on the angle flat 777, if you find it at booking. Booking only 6-8 weeks in advance seems quite risky for most routes.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MCOSWAFlyer

THANKS!
I'd suggest trying to book MCO-ORD-NRT-MNL since ORD-NRT is operated by the 788. Better odds you can clear into J than DFW-HKG.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond , AA EXP
3rd trip on this route ,, 3rd missed upgrade !! All 3 times J seat map shows 10-15 open 2 days before flight ,, then on day of flight only 2-4 open seats and im 5 or 6th on list of 30 plus .. I'm beginning to think Shenanigans!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by oxfordm5
3rd trip on this route ,, 3rd missed upgrade !! All 3 times J seat map shows 10-15 open 2 days before flight ,, then on day of flight only 2-4 open seats and im 5 or 6th on list of 30 plus .. I'm beginning to think Shenanigans!
How far out did you book?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:28 am

Not sure if I mentioned this a while back on this thread, so apologies if this thought is a repeat...

One of the reasons upgrades are hard to snag on this flight - in addition to it being a great hard product in business - has been the ability to buy business class on this route in the low $3k's. When you consider the hard product, the redeemable miles and the EQM/EQP for this route, for $3k+/- it is a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Not sure if I mentioned this a while back on this thread, so apologies if this thought is a repeat...

One of the reasons upgrades are hard to snag on this flight - in addition to it being a great hard product in business - has been the ability to buy business class on this route in the low $3k's. When you consider the hard product, the redeemable miles and the EQM/EQP for this route, for $3k+/- it is a pretty good deal.
What origin and destination is that the $3K price and is that a corp rate? I haven't ever been able to book at that price. Not doubting just exposing my ignorance.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by oxfordm5
I think you really need to provide more details and also define "shenanigans". Since you are a member of this board and obviously following this thread you should be as well informed as other traveler. I think there are flaws in the system but not sure I would call it shenanigans.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Not very recent but there were ~$2,400 business fares from PHL (and many other east coast cities) in late May
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
Thank You

Thank You ALL for the input!!

The DFW-SVG looks promising or the ORD-NRT both on 787. But as stated, no SWU available at booking. I know 137 is out. What do you guys think the possibility on the other two routes clearing when booked 6-8 weeks out?

Thank you again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.