Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

NOTE: Changed flight numbers from 137 / 138 to AA 125 / 126 Nov 2016

This thread is for the discussion of upgrades (using systemwide upgrades /SWUs or mileage+ copay) for the DFW-HKG route.

General discussion about the new DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG routes can be found here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]

Discussion and questions about flight experiences on the DFW-HKG flights can be found here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 flight experiences, questions
Print Wikipost

DFW-HKG AA 125 / 126 77W Upgrade Chances & Waitlist Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:57 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by zznoname
Is 137 flying out today? My app doesn't show it? Thanks.
Flight is cancelled. I believe that plane is in SYD. Funny how the article in ausbt said it would make it back in time for the departure back to DFW.

"The Boeing 777-300ER will be flown down from Hong Kong overnight, after completing its daily AA137 flight from Dallas, to arrive at Sydney Airport in the early morning."

and then:

"The eye-catching jet will then head back to Hong Kong in time to fly US-bound travellers back to Dallas as AA138."

Last edited by 77W_12A; Nov 12, 2015 at 5:40 pm Reason: added content.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
In that quote they didn't say which day the flight would return to HKG to fly back as 138

It's ship N734AR and she seems to still be in SYD (flew in as AA 9653). Next scheduled 138 flight seems to be Sat. 11/14/15 so I'd suspect that she'll be leaving SYD heading to HKG in the next few hours.

Originally Posted by gemini573
Flight is cancelled. I believe that plane is in SYD. Funny how the article in ausbt said it would make it back in time for the departure back to DFW.

"The Boeing 777-300ER will be flown down from Hong Kong overnight, after completing its daily AA137 flight from Dallas, to arrive at Sydney Airport in the early morning."

and then:

"The eye-catching jet will then head back to Hong Kong in time to fly US-bound travellers back to Dallas as AA138."
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM
Originally Posted by eshkr
Ah! makes sense. Forgot there could be other EXPs in front of the line. Lets see what happens tomorrow.
Didn't clear. When I checked in on 9th, I was #2 on the waitlist. 3 hours before boarding I was #14. 30 mins before I was #19... out of total of 56 upgrade requests on this flight. Quite crazy I must say....
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I know, airline inventory management is complicated, but..

EF is showing F3 / P3 / A0 / J7 / R7 / I7 / D7 / Y0.. for this coming Wednesday (Nov 18th). Coach is effectively sold out, plenty of room in J, yet no UGs so far.

You would think that it would be better for AA if they released a few coach seats via UGs so they could bring in more marginal income than hoping to sell out each and every available J seat. Especially when even the deepest discount fare classes have at least 7 seats available for sale.. but what do I know
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
EF is showing F3 / P3 / A0 / J7 / R7 / I7 / D7 / Y0.. for this coming Wednesday (Nov 18th). Coach is effectively sold out, plenty of room in J, yet no UGs so far.

You would think that it would be better for AA if they released a few coach seats via UGs so they could bring in more marginal income than hoping to sell out each and every available J seat. Especially when even the deepest discount fare classes have at least 7 seats available for sale.. but what do I know
I'm on DFW-HKG on Wednesday as well...on my last 2 DFW-HKG flights J had about the same level of openness, both upgrades cleared about 4-5 days out. This is the new AA, T-24 regardless of how open it may be. Very annoying.

Also, if Y is really oversold, I've seen instances where upgrades are held back until last minute as they intentionally don't want add'l Y inventory released.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I'm on DFW-HKG on Wednesday as well...on my last 2 DFW-HKG flights J had about the same level of openness, both upgrades cleared about 4-5 days out. This is the new AA, T-24 regardless of how open it may be. Very annoying.

Also, if Y is really oversold, I've seen instances where upgrades are held back until last minute as they intentionally don't want add'l Y inventory released.
Well, they don't have to release any additional Y inventory if they release UGs, other than to those they oversold to. Can't collect $'s from those who don't get to fly

But nevertheless, I'll be in the D lounge prior to the flight and online. Perhaps we can meet and have a pre-PDB.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by eshkr
Didn't clear. When I checked in on 9th, I was #2 on the waitlist. 3 hours before boarding I was #14. 30 mins before I was #19... out of total of 56 upgrade requests on this flight. Quite crazy I must say....
Wow this is pretty shocking. Any ideas how eshkr could drop from #2 to #19 within a few hours?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Wow this is pretty shocking. Any ideas how eshkr could drop from #2 to #19 within a few hours?
EXPs that checked in later, but had requested the UG earlier is a likely cause..
Old Nov 15, 2015, 1:00 pm

You would think that it would be better for AA if they released a few coach seats via UGs so they could bring in more marginal income than hoping to sell out each and every available J seat.
From what I can see, AA is doing it pretty well. With no (or less) SWU upgrades getting processed, that means they are selling seats substantially. No?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
From what I can see, AA is doing it pretty well. With no (or less) SWU upgrades getting processed, that means they are selling seats substantially. No?
If they can't sell every business seat, then it behooves them to UG some folks to free up more coach seats for sale, especially when they have sold out coach.

On any given flight, every incremental $ is an incremental $ that can never be recovered later as the seats on every flight are a perishable asset. Doesn't matter what cabin those $'s come from.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If they can't sell every business seat, then it behooves them to UG some folks to free up more coach seats for sale, especially when they have sold out coach.

On any given flight, every incremental $ is an incremental $ that can never be recovered later as the seats on every flight are a perishable asset. Doesn't matter what cabin those $'s come from.
It's much, much more complicated than this, of course.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
It's much, much more complicated than this, of course.
Of course, but the principal stands. The closer you get to the "last" sale time, the statistics, past trends and the rest come into the play. In this case it is pretty clear they are going to sell every remaining J seat given the fare buckets still available.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
AA 137 looks great for tomorrow

AA 137 0 DFW
11/17/15
11:45 AM HKG
11/18/15
6:35 PM 77W
Daily
72% / 24m
Business - AAnytime Award J 7
Business - MileSAAver Award U 0
Business - Upgrade C 7
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA-GLD
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
AA 137 looks great for tomorrow

AA 137 0 DFW
11/17/15
11:45 AM HKG
11/18/15
6:35 PM 77W
Daily
72% / 24m
Business - AAnytime Award J 7
Business - MileSAAver Award U 0
Business - Upgrade C 7
I am on this flight tomorrow. Just a lowly gold trying to do the miles + $$$ to upgrade, nothing yet. Been on the waitlist since September.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IceZ
I am on this flight tomorrow. Just a lowly gold trying to do the miles + $$$ to upgrade, nothing yet. Been on the waitlist since September.
Call AA right this second and ask them to process the upgrade, as the space is now available. Your upgrade might already be in process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.