Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 23, 16, 2:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Begin Daily 787-8 LAX-HND Service 11 Feb 2016, DFW-HND on application

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will offer customers daily, year-round, nonstop service to Tokyo's Haneda Airport (HND) from its trans-Pacific gateway at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) beginning Feb. 11, 2016. Customers can book travel on the new route starting Sunday, Nov. 8. American recently secured takeoff and landing time slots at Haneda Airport from the Japanese aviation authorities, which will allow the commencement of the flight.

The new service will operate on the following daily schedule (all times local):

LAX-HND
AA27
Departs LAX at 6 p.m.
Arrives at HND at 11 p.m. the following day

HND-LAX
AA26
Departs HND at 1:30 a.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 p.m. the previous day

Link
Link to Dallas Morning News article on DFW-HND 23 Jun 2016 (comparing DFW vs. MSP for Haneda service)

Link to Dallas a Morning News Aviation Blog article on DFW-HND application, 4 Apr 2016

Please see this archived thread for posts relating to AA statement of intent and delays.

Previously (as posted by Exec_Plat), wandering_fred and ashill:

DOT Docket is DOT-OST-2010-0018
AA's application to fly LAX-HND (and motion to transfer DL's authority to fly SEA-LAX) is document DOT-OST-2010-0018-0384

On June 14, 2015, the DOT ruled that Delta would retain the HND slot for use on SEA-HND with dormancy conditions that require Delta to operate the flight every day of the year.

On June 17, 2015, Delta notified the DOT in a letter that it would "determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round". The last Delta SEA-HND flight will operate on September 30, 2015. Delta will return the slots to the DOT on October 1, 2015, at which point the slots will automatically revert to American.

American service on LAX-HND could begin (err rather could have begun) as early as October 1, 2015.

While DOT has granted rights to AA, the actual time slots in which AA can arrive and depart HND are subject to negotiation with HND and other carriers.

- It is not clear that DL had slots every day of the year, and in fact DL may have been required to surrender the slots on August 15, 2015.
- AA needs to secure daily slots for HND, however the annual winter 2015 (W15) slot conference was on June 23, 2015, only a few days after DL notified DOT they would surrender the route.
- It is unknown when AA will acquire new time slots. Purportedly the IATA slot conference for S15 will be 10-12 November. Going by the published calendar Oct 8 begins this activity: https://www.iata.org/events/Document...activities.pdf
-There may be some motion with daytime slots (Aviationweek):
The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) recently briefed U.S. carriers on the Japanese proposal, several people familiar with the matter told Aviation Daily. As it is currently understood, the proposal would shift some of the slots available to U.S. carriers to daytime hours. It may also include one additional slot pair, which would likely not be for a daily flight
- Per the published guidelines, the SAL Deadline is October 29, 2015, at which time the airport shall have made their initial decision on all slots to be allocated for the coming season. [One assumes horsetrading then begins.]
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 25, 16, 9:00 am
  #226  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,094
Originally Posted by ERQTraveler View Post
For AA26, what is the earliest I can check the luggage with an agent at HND?

Trying to plan my arrival appropriately. I plan to tour the city during the day and then head to the airport late at night for a late dinner and a shower. I understand there are restaurants pre-security and showers at JAL lounge. (I believe I have access due to class of service.)

ERQ
There are a fair selection of restaurants in Haneda land side. If you look in the Japan forum, there is a thread discussing the options.

Yes, the JAL business class lounge has showers.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old Jul 1, 16, 11:18 am
  #227  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: SoCal to the rest of the world...
Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Posts: 6,358
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There are a fair selection of restaurants in Haneda land side. If you look in the Japan forum, there is a thread discussing the options.

Yes, the JAL business class lounge has showers.
List of restaurants is here:

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...00_000000.html

Before security selections are better - security is never as long as the US anyway. HIGHLY suggest Katsusen Tonkatsu - as in the US we get a shoe insole pretending to be Tonkatsu - you can sit at the counter area and watch the chef make and fry the Tonkatsu so perfectly.. Ariso Sushi is OK if you must have Sushi, Kushibono for Kushi/Skewer grilled and Setagaya for Ramen is quite good considering you are in an airport. The dark horse is Esse Due Il - yes it's Italian in Japan and in an airport and it still beats the crap out of most "Italian" restaurants in the US - proper pasta made more to Italian liking vs US and neopolitan pizzas that are better than the ones trending in the US lately.

If you have access to the JAL first lounge it's a good replacement for doing a sit down restaurant - BUT I would suggest if just using the JAL business lounge you may be better off getting a meal before going through security.
NickP 1K is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 9:05 pm
  #228  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: World of Hyatt, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
List of restaurants is here:

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/e...00_000000.html

Before security selections are better - security is never as long as the US anyway. HIGHLY suggest Katsusen Tonkatsu - as in the US we get a shoe insole pretending to be Tonkatsu - you can sit at the counter area and watch the chef make and fry the Tonkatsu so perfectly.. Ariso Sushi is OK if you must have Sushi, Kushibono for Kushi/Skewer grilled and Setagaya for Ramen is quite good considering you are in an airport. The dark horse is Esse Due Il - yes it's Italian in Japan and in an airport and it still beats the crap out of most "Italian" restaurants in the US - proper pasta made more to Italian liking vs US and neopolitan pizzas that are better than the ones trending in the US lately.

If you have access to the JAL first lounge it's a good replacement for doing a sit down restaurant - BUT I would suggest if just using the JAL business lounge you may be better off getting a meal before going through security.
Thank you for the recommendations!

Will probably try Katsusen Tonkatsu.

ERQ
ERQTraveler is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:55 am
  #229  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MIA/FLL
Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
Posts: 270
deleted
rploehn is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 11:59 am
  #230  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 10,175
AA gets LAX, UA gets SFO, DL gets LAX and MSP (with conditions). If DL fails to meet the conditions of the MSP approval, then AA gets DFW.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:19 pm
  #231  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,160
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
AA gets LAX, UA gets SFO, DL gets LAX and MSP (with conditions). If DL fails to meet the conditions of the MSP approval, then AA gets DFW.
The smack-down DL got from the DoT is interesting. Essentially the Department says that DL is not to be trusted but also that maybe it really was the slot times causing the problems.

Originally Posted by DoT
In the event that Delta were to significantly deviate from its Minneapolis proposal in this proceeding, Delta’s authority would automatically terminate and a backup carrier’s authority would automatically activate.
The backup authority is the AA/DFW operation based on the DoT's desire to have a midwestern gateway.

In denying the EWR application the DoT cites the ANA service for the O/D NYC market and less convenient connections for many others versus MSP.

Some more analysis from me on the Haneda award for Delta to MSP (including a link to the DoT filing if you want to read it yourself).
sbm12 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:28 pm
  #232  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 10,175
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The smack-down DL got from the DoT is interesting. Essentially the Department says that DL is not to be trusted but also that maybe it really was the slot times causing the problems.
I saw it more as "yes, the slot times were definitely a problem, but even though they were a problem DL you shouldn't have acted the way you did. We're onto your games." You could definitely tell that the DOT is not happy with DL with the games it has played in regards to the HND slots, but the needs of the flying public in the midwest outweighed any displeasure over that.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 5:43 pm
  #233  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYZ/YTZ/YUL
Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 1,488
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
I saw it more as "yes, the slot times were definitely a problem, but even though they were a problem DL you shouldn't have acted the way you did. We're onto your games." You could definitely tell that the DOT is not happy with DL with the games it has played in regards to the HND slots, but the needs of the flying public in the midwest outweighed any displeasure over that.
this may be a naive question, but if that's true, why not give DL only MSP and LAX and DFW to AA? Another US gateway served, too.
TravellingSalesman is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 7:05 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PHL
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman View Post
this may be a naive question, but if that's true, why not give DL only MSP and LAX and DFW to AA? Another US gateway served, too.
DoT converted all the existing nighttime slots to daytime. All airlines also had to prioritize their requested routes and they all put their existing routes as their top pick. DL and AA were already both flying LAX-HND at night, so in essence it only left the 5th slot up for grabs. And LA has enough O&D to support three flights (including ANA).
ganbare is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 12:09 am
  #235  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Usually in SAN or Central Europe.
Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Posts: 21,848
I can't believe they gave HA a daytime slot pair for HNL-HND.
Fanjet is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 6:40 am
  #236  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alexandria, Longboat Key
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by Fanjet View Post
I can't believe they gave HA a daytime slot pair for HNL-HND.
Besides the city of Minneapolis, they are the biggest winner in this whole process. Not only did they receive a daytime slot, as they were the only application for the nighttime slot, they will start operating HNL-HND 11 times a week starting in December and finally able to start KOA-HND, albeit only three times a week. Makes you question why they are starting HNL-NRT tomorrow. I'll be interesting to see if they eventually try to make KOA-HND daily if the loads are as successful as they claim they will be while operating HNL-TYO twice daily.
Longboater is offline  
Old Jul 30, 16, 4:17 pm
  #237  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SBA
Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold/1MM, Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 975
I was checking LAX-HND flight for next Spring and I found two LAX-HND flights on 3/24/2017 (AA27 and AA23).

Also, AA27 departs at LAX at 7pm from 3/25/2017
MrJBoy is offline  
Old Aug 8, 16, 1:41 pm
  #238  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 2,975
Originally Posted by CNMAZ View Post
We had a reservation to HND for next February, they have changed the departure times to 11:35am LAX-HND and 6:55pm HND-LAX.
I guess these weren't loaded all the way through.

A few weeks ago, I booked one of those cheap LAX-HKG deals using NRT/HND connections to build in some time in Tokyo.

The return flight was still the 1:00am HND-LAX timing and just saw it changed on my itinerary. So, had to call and get moved to the HKG-LAX nonstop.

Kind of weird that the schedules weren't changed all the way through April at the time I booked my flight.
OskiBear is online now  
Old Aug 20, 16, 9:39 pm
  #239  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 726
Is the AA LAX-HND schedule set yet? As of now both the HND and NRT flight have the exact same schedule with a 1120AM arrival and 435PM arrival.
B747forever is offline  
Old Sep 23, 16, 6:28 pm
  #240  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,396
Anyone know if 1:50 is enough time to connect from a JL flight from within Asia (but not Japan) to this AA flight?
I'd assume they are in the same terminal.

I've been to NRT several times, but haven't yet been to HND. I've heard that HND is pretty small...
I assume it would entail a security screen, like NRT, then on to gate...lounge if time permits

Last edited by aztimm; Sep 23, 16 at 6:38 pm
aztimm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: