FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1617451-aa-daily-lax-hnd-service-feb-2016-w-787-8-applies-dfw-hnd.html)

MAH4546 Oct 2, 14 4:44 pm

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND
 
American has applied to begin daily non-stop service between Los Angeles and Tokyo-Haneda on January 15, 2015. It is unclear if it would replace Los Angeles-Narita service. The proposed schedule uses the flight numbers AA 169/170, which suggest it might, but the actual proposal submitted to DOT does not make mention of it.

AA 169 LAX 1705-2200+1 HND 772 Daily
AA 170 HND 0130-1825-1 LAX 772 Daily

Delta seasonally suspended it's Seattle-Haneda route yesterday, and American is making the argument the slot should be transferred, while Delta will attempt to keep it dormant.

Proposal requires logging in:

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf91/679.pdf

JonNYC Nov 4, 15 8:24 am

Finally announced:
http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-air...-february-2016

TheBOSman Nov 4, 15 8:25 am


Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 25661745)

Let me pull out what I feel are the most pertinent parts for our discussion here:


LAX-HND
AA27
Departs LAX at 6 p.m.
Arrives at HND at 11 p.m. the following day

HND-LAX
AA26
Departs HND at 1:30 a.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 p.m.

The LAX-HND flight will be operated with American's state-of-art Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner.
Not a fan of those flight times...

JonNYC Nov 4, 15 8:29 am


Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25661750)
Let me pull out what I feel are the most pertinent parts for our discussion here..

Good idea, thanks! ^

ty97 Nov 4, 15 8:34 am


Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25661750)


Not a fan of those flight times...

Considering how long it took AA just to acquire these slots, I expect they are not fans of these flight times either. I fully expect a retiming when/if AA can get better slots in a future allocation cycle.

AANYC1981 Nov 4, 15 8:34 am

Aren't those the flight times AA did NOT want?

sinoflyer Nov 4, 15 8:39 am

Not optimal schedule, but hopefully AA will also put codes on JL's HND-TSA flights. I can really appreciate the ability to take an evening TSA-HND-LAX itinerary on the return trip to the U.S.

Longboater Nov 4, 15 8:47 am

To put it out kindly, these times stink. Let's see how long this lasts. I'm taking bets that the arrangement beginning 2/11 doesn't last a full year before AA has to do something on LAX-TYO to avoid the money bloodletting.

ashill Nov 4, 15 9:07 am

Another relevant bit from the press release:


This new flight is a fantastic addition to our growing network to Asia and a great complement to our existing service to Tokyo Narita
The mention of Narita strongly suggests (to my reading) that LAX-NRT is sticking around at least at first.

TheBOSman Nov 4, 15 9:12 am

I would bet that these were the best flight times AA could get for now, and that when slots are reallocated next at HND that they will do everything they can to get better flight times.

Longboater Nov 4, 15 9:14 am


Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25661986)
Another relevant bit from the press release:



The mention of Narita strongly suggests (to my reading) that LAX-NRT is sticking around at least at first.

I give it a year before an equipment change.

ashill Nov 4, 15 9:24 am


Originally Posted by Longboater (Post 25661876)
To put it out kindly, these times stink.

I do agree, but what better times could they ask for in an ideal world, subject to the constraint that they arrive in HND between 2200 and 0600 and depart between 0000 and 0600? AA's times are almost exactly the same as DL and UA have for their LAX-HND and SFO-HND flights; the only difference is that AA's HND departure is a bit more than an hour later (0130 vs 0010/0020). I suppose that hour could be improved, but I wouldn't say 0130 sucks much more than 0010.

An early morning arrival in HND would be better than the current late night, but with a midnight departure, that's not feasible.

It seems to me that, given the absurd constraints, these slot times aren't terrible and aren't appreciably different than the competition.

Kacee Nov 4, 15 9:29 am


Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25662112)
AA's times are almost exactly the same as DL and UA have for their LAX-HND and SFO-HND flights; the only difference is that AA's HND departure is a bit more than an hour later (0130 vs 0010/0020). I suppose that hour could be improved, but I wouldn't say 0130 sucks much more than 0010.

Yup. The US carriers get the short end of the stick for HND slots.

The positive of these flight times is they allow a full business day at either end. And intra-Asia flights in/out of HND are well timed for connections.

Not to mention that it's always kind of cool to time travel backwards by a day on the return from HND. :cool:

FWAAA Nov 4, 15 9:33 am


Originally Posted by TheBOSman (Post 25661750)
Not a fan of those flight times...


Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 25661799)
Considering how long it took AA just to acquire these slots, I expect they are not fans of these flight times either. I fully expect a retiming when/if AA can get better slots in a future allocation cycle.


Originally Posted by AANYC1981 (Post 25661803)
Aren't those the flight times AA did NOT want?

AA pulled a rabbit out of the hat here because the slot timings at HND (both arrival and departure) are almost exactly what AA had proposed.

As ashill pointed out, they're about the best timings possible given the operating constraints at HND and the absolute necessity that the flight offer sufficient connections at LAX.

Longboater Nov 4, 15 9:40 am


Originally Posted by ashill (Post 25662112)
I do agree, but what better times could they ask for in an ideal world, subject to the constraint that they arrive in HND between 2200 and 0600 and depart between 0000 and 0600? AA's times are almost exactly the same as DL and UA have for their LAX-HND and SFO-HND flights; the only difference is that AA's HND departure is a bit more than an hour later (0130 vs 0010/0020). I suppose that hour could be improved, but I wouldn't say 0130 sucks much more than 0010.

An early morning arrival in HND would be better than the current late night, but with a midnight departure, that's not feasible.

It seems to me that, given the absurd constraints, these slot times aren't terrible and aren't appreciably different than the competition.

I wonder how much consideration they have given to an early morning arrival into HND, have the aircraft sit for 17 hours and then fly back to LAX. Surely those slots times are much better for those on the West Coast and enables JAL domestic connections at HND.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:35 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.