Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Seat Selection Issues for AA Flyers (archive through 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:51 pm

Ugh...I'm stuck in this loop. I'm AA Platinum and I booked tickets on AA that include a 2 hour BA flight in economy. I assume that's short haul. BA wants me to pay to book any seats in advance. My AA number is on the reservation. I called and the rep tried adding and re-adding multiple times to refresh it...I'm not able to add/re-add myself. Still doesn't show up. I was wondering if it's because my status expires on Jan 9th...but it seems like that shouldn't matter if I'm Platinum at the time of booking. Maybe I'll try Twitter.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying a short hop on BA in business class as part of an AA award. No status with AA or any other OW airline. I don't feel like paying for seat selection, since all the seats seem close to equally bad. I do slightly prefer a window to an aisle though.

1. Is there some point that I can select a seat for free?
2. If not:
a) at what point will I be assigned a seat?
b) will I be able to change seats if there are other seats available?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Flying a short hop on BA in business class as part of an AA award. No status with AA or any other OW airline. I don't feel like paying for seat selection, since all the seats seem close to equally bad. I do slightly prefer a window to an aisle though.

1. Is there some point that I can select a seat for free?
2. If not:
a) at what point will I be assigned a seat?
b) will I be able to change seats if there are other seats available?
(1) Yes - at 24 hours before departure, online checkin will open amd you will be able to select a seat free of charge
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on two occasions in biz on the lhr-bwi section(from athens and from lisbon)in biz class of our trip, we were unable to select biz class seats. i wanted to book side by side seats. BA refused. lots of biz class seats available. i tried to get seats within 24 hrs, at 12 hrs, and at pre-checkin.both flights on the oldest 767 flying, i think.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

BTW....I was able to get seats assigned through Twitter as a Platinum AA. For some reason no matter how many times they deleted and re-added my AA number, my status did not show up. There was a few days of back and forth on Twitter because they needed a bunch of info but they did make the seat selections for me!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Updated my BA booking (using Finnair) to my AA FFN that has newly acquired plat pro status thanks to a freebie temp status upgrade from AA.

Seat selection is still asking me to pay. I tweeted BA with all the info including that AA plat pro is oneworld sapphire thus entitled to free seat selection. The first response from the BA team was to ask for my oneworld sapphire number so that they could insert that instead of the AA number, which seems a rather ill-informed response.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tangey
Updated my BA booking (using Finnair) to my AA FFN that has newly acquired plat pro status thanks to a freebie temp status upgrade from AA.

Seat selection is still asking me to pay. I tweeted BA with all the info including that AA plat pro is oneworld sapphire thus entitled to free seat selection. The first response from the BA team was to ask for my oneworld sapphire number so that they could insert that instead of the AA number, which seems a rather ill-informed response.
I’ve had much better luck calling and talking with a BA phone rep to deal with seating issues than with the twitter team. They have a US number and the agents there are generally quite competent and helpful. The twitter team, on the other hand, has repeatedly frustrated me by asking for lots of information repeatedly and then not being able to help.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:19 pm

i called BA to select a seat on LHR-SFO and they told me its an AA plane, which it isnt.
Not sure what to do now.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
(1) Yes - at 24 hours before departure, online checkin will open amd you will be able to select a seat free of charge
It seems to me there is an issue with BA flights booked as AA-codeshares, which in turn are preceded by AA-operated flights, booked on AA, for example PHX-PHL-LHR(AA)-TXL(BA). While checking in for the first AA flight, I was assigned a random seat on the BA flight. There was no way to change it or access the seat map of the BA flight on ba.com after check-in any more, not even 24 hours before the departure of the BA flight. On landing at LHR I approached BA crew at the transfer desk, asked for a different seat, but the flight was full. Is that a well-known glitch? Is there a known solution?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by krzysz
It seems to me there is an issue with BA flights booked as AA-codeshares, which in turn are preceded by AA-operated flights, booked on AA, for example PHX-PHL-LHR(AA)-TXL(BA). While checking in for the first AA flight, I was assigned a random seat on the BA flight. There was no way to change it or access the seat map of the BA flight on ba.com after check-in any more, not even 24 hours before the departure of the BA flight. On landing at LHR I approached BA crew at the transfer desk, asked for a different seat, but the flight was full. Is that a well-known glitch? Is there a known solution?
I don't know if this was your problem but you cannot change your seat on a BA flight after you have checked in. You must call BA and get them to offload you.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Award flights booked AA.com - does BA charge for seat assignments and baggage?

Specifically looking for a 1 way BA combination from IST - SFO, probably in business. 2 of the 3 flights are on British airways, do they charge additional feed for seat assignments and checked baggage? I'm not a status member on AA.

Thanks

RRZ
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by rrz518
Specifically looking for a 1 way BA combination from IST - SFO, probably in business. 2 of the 3 flights are on British airways, do they charge additional feed for seat assignments and checked baggage? I'm not a status member on AA.

Thanks

RRZ
seat assignments in Business will be free 72 hours before flight and for a fee prior. Baggage will be according to Business allowance. This is provided you fly Business as mentioned
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Thanks

RRZ
For all my AA-issued award tickets for BA flights and BA-issued award tickets for BA flights, the BA flights included some free checked baggage allowance. BA hand-baggage-only fares for BA flights can't be booked with AA miles.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As AA will be the marketing carrier of the first segment, it will be AA's baggage allowance which applies and that will include one or more bags for any ticket to the US which may be purchased with AA miles.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thanks

RRZ

Originally Posted by Often1
As AA will be the marketing carrier of the first segment, it will be AA's baggage allowance which applies and that will include one or more bags for any ticket to the US which may be purchased with AA miles.

Really? On an AA award originating in Istanbul? I’d have thought that would be, as would be the entire trip, marketed and operated by BA. That would mean the former posts are correct.

Unfortunately, redeeming AA miles in BA - particularly transatlantic (IST-LHR using BA connecting to AA to DFW, LAX, PHX etc. would reduce that but require a connection) will incur considerable carrier imposed fees / surcharges. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.