Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG Amb, Honors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by powerslide
This morning I was able to book IAD-AUH-MLE in F and J. It took about an hour to move from "On Request" to "Ticketed." I can't wait to get back to the Maldives!
Well, that's strange. 2 hours after I posted this, my reservation went back to "On Request" and I received a call from AA about the reservation. The call was automated and I couldn't talk at that moment. Called EXP desk later to look into it. Long story short, the agent said the person who looks over award bookings was out today and he/she needed to go over it. There was nothing wrong with any of the flights and the agent was confident nothing would be cancelled or changed. She said it would be a couple of days, maybe early next week, before it was ticketed (for real this time, I hope! ). Fingers crossed (despite assurances).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by powerslide
Well, that's strange. 2 hours after I posted this, my reservation went back to "On Request" and I received a call from AA about the reservation. The call was automated and I couldn't talk at that moment. Called EXP desk later to look into it. Long story short, the agent said the person who looks over award bookings was out today and he/she needed to go over it. There was nothing wrong with any of the flights and the agent was confident nothing would be cancelled or changed. She said it would be a couple of days, maybe early next week, before it was ticketed (for real this time, I hope! ). Fingers crossed (despite assurances).
Having come from UA, the way AA goes about reviewing and approving award tickets is odd to me but I wouldn't be overly concerned. It took nearly 23 hours for AA to ticket LGA - ORD - NRT on JL F (with BA showing that there were actually 2 F award seats and I was only taking 1) and that's a much closer partner than EY
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely the move.
I had better luck with the agent this morning, she was happy to ticket me. I ran into a new oddity though. I was trying to book a EY 2-leg trip, with the first leg in First class (MUC-AUH) and the second leg in Economy (AUH-MLE), and the computers would refuse to book it as one award and instead quoted me two awards. I had them price the entire trip in Economy (as one award) to prove that this was not due to a routing restriction. After a few callbacks and checks with the pricing department I found someone that would perform an override to book it as one award (40k instead of 57.5k), but I still found this unsettling. I never have had this issue when booking mixed awards with UA.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 26, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Gamecock
No need to register for an account, just click here. Make sure you see availibility in the column marked "guest."
I can't believe that I wasted time logging in. That login page has some issues.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond.
My EY flights went from pending to ticketed and now show confirmed via EY's website as well. It looks like the system is fully functional again. Enjoy!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by DutchRyan
My EY flights went from pending to ticketed and now show confirmed via EY's website as well. It looks like the system is fully functional again. Enjoy!
I booked one today morning and it just got ticketed. I did not know of a problem with booking EY.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
Hey Guys,

Quick question. I'm working on booking F JFK-AUH for next May. I'm only seeing a very few flights available on the EY site, few and far between. I know not all of May 2015 has opened up yet, but what is people's experience with seats opening up? Am I looking too far out?
Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Bump
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:23 pm

Anyone have luck booking Etihad flights operating on Jet Airways configured aircraft (9W codeshare) yet?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Earlier today, I called the EXP desk and booked two business award tickets AUH-LAX for May 2015. About 3 hours later, I received a confirmation email from AA with ticket numbers.
It is nice when the system is working.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, AA, WN, UA, US, WN, BA.
Anyone try booking to Africa on a single award through AUH?

Was hoping AA instituted similar routing rules to Africa on EY like they recently did on QR flights through DOH.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by glader

Was hoping AA instituted similar routing rules to Africa on EY like they recently did on QR flights through DOH.
Not very likely to happen. QR is a OW partner - EY is not.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glader

The exception is QR->QR only, using EY most definitely still 2 awards N.America-> Africa
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
Had my AUH-LHR F ticketed today after booking yesterday (had to phone AA to push through the issuance...)

Just wanted to say thanks to JonNYC for the updates and for putting the brakes on the scaremongering!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 6:46 am

Nothing but frustration here! I rang last night and the agent was so useless I had to ask FOUR times for him to check for EY F on ICN-AUH. Despite my requests, he kept checking HKG-DOH on QR!!!

Today, the agent claimed that he couldn't see any EY F on ICN-AUH for my travel dates despite availability showing on EY.

I am quite concerned for the wellbeing of oneworld82. Despite being a regular on the thread during 'the troubles', he hasn't posted for nearly 48 hours now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.