Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Good links-- people do get confused-- these are wet-leased planes and therefore there will be zero indication that one is on anything other than EY.
This is definitely not true. We flew the "EY operated" Jet Airways flight from AUH-JFK earlier this year and it was definitely sub-par versus flying "real" EY. And to add to the debate on that, personally EY F is my absolute favorite having tried CX, SQ, various flavors of LH, EK (A380) etc. I think the focus on hard product and on board service is absolutely perfect and I would always choose EY if a choice was available.

But back to the Jet Airways flight the planes are obviously configured completely different and the hard product in F is old and tatty compared to EY (we flew out on a brand new 77W so coming back on a tatty old Jet plane was a big letdown). And the food selection was basically 99% Indian. Which is fine if that is what you are in the mood for, but we weren't and what does Indian food have to do with AUH/JFK routing?

Personally disappointed to see this model expanding to SFO and in looking at bookings now I go out of my way to avoid the Jet flights and stick with "real" EY particularly on the 77W
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
This is definitely not true. We flew the "EY operated" Jet Airways flight from AUH-JFK earlier this year and it was definitely sub-par versus flying "real" EY. And to add to the debate on that, personally EY F is my absolute favorite having tried CX, SQ, various flavors of LH, EK (A380) etc. I think the focus on hard product and on board service is absolutely perfect and I would always choose EY if a choice was available.

But back to the Jet Airways flight...
The links in the post unthread address that, I was referring to the fact that the planes, crew, livery, etc will all be branded EY-- that no one should be confused by the "operated by Jet" designation in terms of redeeming/earning/award rules, etc, that's there's no distinction necessary from that point of view.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good links-- people do get confused-- these are wet-leased planes and therefore there will be zero indication that one is on anything other than EY.
These flights are filed as codeshares (EY/**) and are clearly indicated with the following:
OPERATED BY ETIHAD ON JET AIRWAYS CONFIGURED AIRCRAFT.
If someone (airline or travel agent) does not pass along this info, they're in violation of DOT rules, and the DOT takes such lapses seriously.

Last edited by hillrider; Jul 16, 2014 at 7:22 am Reason: Link to DOT rules added
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:15 am

The links in the post unthread address that, I was referring to the fact that the planes, crew, livery, etc will all be branded EY-- that no one should be confused by the "operated by Jet" designation in terms of redeeming/earning/award rules, etc, that's there's no distinction necessary from that point of view.
Got it, that makes sense

The links provided all focus on the J product though. We compared both (kids were in J while we were in F) and the J product is generally more competitive versus the EY equivalent. It is definitely worth noting the F experience on the Jet product is sub-par compared to regular Etihad experience
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Will they fly TPAC or TATL? Same question. for when they add Dallas later in the year. To get to JNB, on Etihad from any of the gateways, which direction would one fly? I'm going to try for 2 J awards to South Africa for Nov. 2015 originating in Kansas City using AA miles.
AUH-SFO for fare construction purposes is AT, i.e. via the Atlantic.

The shortest circle path is here and passes 167 miles south of the Pole at 34° W, or North of Greenland; winds will dictate whether they pass on the "Atlantic" side of the pole or the "Pacific" side of it from an operational standpoint, and this could change on a daily basis.

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Got it, that makes sense

The links provided all focus on the J product though. We compared both (kids were in J while we were in F) and the J product is generally more competitive versus the EY equivalent. It is definitely worth noting the F experience on the Jet product is sub-par compared to regular Etihad experience
I definitely hear ya. Although I'd also think that-- not for us-- but for "normals" just the fact that EY is serving this route will open up options and, the difference in product, will be very secondary. Again, not for us!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended

But back to the Jet Airways flight the planes are obviously configured completely different and the hard product in F is old and tatty compared to EY (we flew out on a brand new 77W so coming back on a tatty old Jet plane was a big letdown). And the food selection was basically 99% Indian. Which is fine if that is what you are in the mood for, but we weren't and what does Indian food have to do with AUH/JFK routing?

Personally disappointed to see this model expanding to SFO and in looking at bookings now I go out of my way to avoid the Jet flights and stick with "real" EY particularly on the 77W
Got it, that makes sense

Ya'know, I went back and re-read my post and definitely agree that it missed the mark and was somewhat misleading/ambiguous/incorrect (in the exact fashion you suggested) and just wanted to acknowledge that even further.

I'm tough on others when they post inaccurately (good examples in this very thread ) and should live by that same standard. Thanks for the correction!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:06 pm

Ya'know, I went back and re-read my post and definitely agree that it missed the mark and was somewhat misleading/ambiguous/incorrect (in the exact fashion you suggested) and just wanted to acknowledge that even further.

I'm tough on others when they post inaccurately (good examples in this very thread ) and should live by that same standard. Thanks for the correction!
LOL I appreciate the recognition! You are a highly respected poster, and glad to see you back here, so ok to set the bar high

And I do agree having an SFO is better than having no SFO option... but would love to see more "real" EY routes. EY F is definitely my favorite airline product
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:55 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
How far does out does forst award availability open up?

Looking to redeem AA miles for EY First Jaipur-Abu Dhabi-(ORD/JFK)-MIA around 2/21/15 but using KVS availability can' seem to find much availability around this time. Also searched just Abu Dhabi-(ORD/JFK) sector and again not much luck.
Anyone know if there's a pattern how far our from departure EY opens up first availability?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by 44C
Looking to redeem AA miles for EY First Jaipur-Abu Dhabi-(ORD/JFK)-MIA around 2/21/15 but using KVS availability can' seem to find much availability around this time. Also searched just Abu Dhabi-(ORD/JFK) sector and again not much luck.
Anyone know if there's a pattern how far our from departure EY opens up first availability?

Availability is there for next July. About ~330 days or so.

That being said, is anyone else having issues getting fights that are showing available under "Guest". I have had several flights showing wide open on Etihad's site under "guest business" (6+ seats) yet multiple AA reps are claiming that there no 0 availability in I on those flights.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by Phasers
I have had several flights showing wide open on Etihad's site under "guest business" (6+ seats) yet multiple AA reps are claiming that there no 0 availability in I on those flights.
Could you provide any specific example(s)?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
AUH-BEY, 00:40-3:50am, Aug 20th, 2014.

Etihad site shows 6 seats in Guest Business. AA says they only see 1.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

A...I have had several flights showing wide open on Etihad's site under "guest business" (6+ seats) yet multiple AA reps are claiming that there no 0 availability in I on those flights.
Originally Posted by KVS
I'd be very interested to see examples as well, see if we can figure out what's going on.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:57 pm

I'd be very interested to see examples as well, see if we can figure out what's going on.
Just provided one right above your post.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

AUH-BEY, 00:40-3:50am, Aug 20th, 2014.

Etihad site shows 6 seats in Guest Business. AA says they only see 1.
Those 7 Award Seats are available -- for tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.4.1/Diamond - Awards/EY]
Code:
AUH  Abu Dhabi Intl AE [OMAA]
BEY  Beirut Rafic Hariri Intl LB [OLBA]
WED  20 Aug 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
EY         533     AUH   00:40     BEY   03:50     320  0   FS0  CS7  YS9
EY         535     AUH   08:00     BEY   11:10     320  0   FS0  CS3  YS9
EY         537     AUH   11:25     BEY   14:35     320  0   FS0  CS1  YS9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.