Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

This thread is about "how to" book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.
  • You cannot search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com

• You can search award availability on EY's website. Look for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways labeled as "GuestSeats".
  • You have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • Your best bet is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji -as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book (or put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward).
  • A handy EY route map is at http://flights.etihad.com/routemap
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread
  • It can be instructive to read about our members' successful award bookings on EY using AAdvantage miles in the Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015) thread. [Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) are archived at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles]
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
Print Wikipost

How to: Use AA Miles to Book Award on Etihad / EY (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just tried booking award tix on EY two separate times and was told the link is still down.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Still nothing, eh? Such a big glitch! I hope it is fixed soon, I really wanna burn my miles on EY aarrghhh.

Last edited by oneworld82; Jun 25, 2014 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Overpersonalized posts, posts that use other poster's names when they have chosen not to disclose them, posts that are purely personal exchanges, posts that are off topic and posts that question moderator actions have been, and will continue to be, deleted. Continuing with such will undoubtedly lead to a temporary absence from the FlyerTalk community.

/Moderator
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Must have missed some action, I suppose

On the subject, I've given 2 different people my TB log-in so that they can post the information on TB the second it's disseminated and I'd fully expect someone to then post in here very, very shortly thereafter.

I've done so in recognition of the fact that I'd imagine there's a quite a bit of "pent up demand" for these EY award seats and maybe quite a bit of competition for same. I suppose though that availability will be better than average at first as well (pure speculation/supposition on my part.)

But, in any case, will try to get the info out as soon after the spigot is turned back on as possible.

Just as likely though, that it just comes out organically from a member calling in and finding out, etc.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Question

Anyone check on EY availability in the last couple of hours? One very unconfirmed report says it was fixed late today. Seeking confirm, needless to say.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Anyone check on EY availability in the last couple of hours? One very unconfirmed report says it was fixed late today. Seeking confirm, needless to say.
Believe it or not, I can confirm as I was able to book today, obtain a EY record number (although the reservation still says on request, i think it went through. So, i appreciate how ironic it is that i am the one confirming it really was just a glitch.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:50 pm

I was able to put EY 100 and 101 on hold, but the agent said flights on leased Jet aircraft cannot be booked/held at this time.

I have had this problem before the glitch, since agents see it as a codeshare for some reason instead of EY flight, which is what they are. But if they try to book it, it works. Maybe another case of HUACA?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vrbaba
I was able to put EY 100 and 101 on hold, but the agent said flights on leased Jet aircraft cannot be booked/held at this time.

I have had this problem before the glitch, since agents see it as a codeshare for some reason instead of EY flight, which is what they are. But if they try to book it, it works. Maybe another case of HUACA?
Not sure what you're saying, entirely (my confusion, not yours!).

There is this note attached to EY, but are you saying AAgent said glitch over -except- for these (in red)?

Etihad Airways (EY) (back to top)
Award First Business Economy MileSAAver
O
I
N
Affiliates/Codeshares Jet Airways (9W)
Notes
  • Jet Airways for Etihad Airways flights are wet-leased and valid for redemption on EY.
  • Air France for Etihad Airways flights are wet-leased and valid for redemption on EY.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:42 pm

There is this note attached to EY, but are you saying AAgent said glitch over -except- for these (in red)?
Yup, that's what the agent said. Weird that she could actually see the availability whereas with the glitch I thought they could not see any availability before.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Yup, that's what the agent said. Weird that she could actually see the availability whereas with the glitch I thought they could not see any availability before.
Interesting, thanks.

Well, doesn't look to be too much doubt that the glitch is either fully fixed, mostly fixed or partially fixed.

And, of course, haven't quite heard of someone who's gotten a ticket issued yet, I don't think.

In any case, call in and get those award tix!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:41 pm

In any case, call in and get those award tix!
Thanks for the message and heads-up! It was a nice way to start my day! I'll get onto AA when the UK centre opens!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TEX277
Thanks for the message and heads-up! It was a nice way to start my day! I'll get onto AA when the UK centre opens!
I PM'd a few folks in the thread that seemed to be hunting for the awards, hoping they'd get in quick. Hope it works out for ya.

Very worth mentioning; although several seem to have been able to book, AAgents do -not- at this time have an update (like the ones shown upthread) on this.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:45 pm

The system has to display an operating carrier disclosure whether it's wet lease or codeshare. There's a propensity for agents to get confused when they see something like "Operated by Jet Airways on behalf of Etihad Airways" (or similar) and think it's code and consequently as a default position refuse to entertain a booking request, especially if it's a partner airline they're less familiar with. So long as the flight carries an EY prime flight number (which a wet lease does) and is showing redemption fare classes it should be bookable as a redemption as per Jon's note above.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Hey Guys,

Quick question. I'm working on booking F JFK-AUH for next May. I'm only seeing a very few flights available on the EY site, few and far between. I know not all of May 2015 has opened up yet, but what is people's experience with seats opening up? Am I looking too far out?
Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keith009
The system has to display an operating carrier disclosure whether it's wet lease or codeshare. There's a propensity for agents to get confused when they see something like "Operated by Jet Airways on behalf of Etihad Airways" (or similar) and think it's code and consequently as a default position refuse to entertain a booking request, especially if it's a partner airline they're less familiar with...
Great explanation, I've been trying to get a handle on this all week-- can't imagine an AAgent not being a little nonplussed upon seeing (the valid AAdv redemption) "Operated by Air France on behalf of Etihad Airways"! *

*before anyone gets excited (the way I did at first saw that) that as a wet-lease, there's no Air France visible anywhere-- EY seats, route, crew, livery, etc.

And, I have no idea how it actually displays to AAgents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.