Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by stephem
I’m not saying this rule doesn’t exist, but the published fare rule has never been an impediment for me. I’ve posted here several times about examples i have booked that are clearly prohibited under this rule but were nonetheless ticketed without question. In particular, I’ve found it to be a non issue with some pretty interesting combinations of AA, CX and JL but I’ve also had it ignored for more obscure combinations.

Another case in point booked recently, 5 biz awards using AA overwater to LHR connecting to a DJ operated flight (City Flyer) out of LCY. Unable to replicate as a revenue ticket and relevant AA fares have no mention of DJ as a permitted carrier within Europe. I fed this segment by sebment to the agent and it priced immediately at 57.5k.

It’s worth trying a call before you ever give much thought to this rule.
Thanks, I will certainly do so and give it a try given this! Any idea on whether any checked baggage could be checked all the way through to JFK from TLV even though RJ and EY don't seem to partner/interline with each other? Even if not, it would just mean collecting bags in AMM and rechecking so not a huge deal, just curious.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Got 2 Saver tickets to AKL, now working on getting home March 9 or 10. Award nexus says there are 2 Saver seats CHC-NAN-LAX I thought I would put them on 5 day hold then add LAX-OMA on Thursday or Friday when AA inventory come available. AA agent says no go, he cannot do anything until Thursday - is there anything I can do in the next 4 days?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kmandrew
Got 2 Saver tickets to AKL, now working on getting home March 9 or 10. Award nexus says there are 2 Saver seats CHC-NAN-LAX I thought I would put them on 5 day hold then add LAX-OMA on Thursday or Friday when AA inventory come available. AA agent says no go, he cannot do anything until Thursday - is there anything I can do in the next 4 days?
If you try a mock booking on AA.com, indeed March 5th is the latest you can book with AA.
I wouldn't be too concerned about losing the seats as the odds of a BA-QF-CX member booking the seats are pretty low especially on that routing. It's not like you're trying for SYD-LAX.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:39 am

Europe to/from Africa is still not allowed to connect in DOH QR-QR?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by michael_v
No 3rd region exceptions for Europe to Africa
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by michael_v
Nope. I got chastised for asking exactly this a month or so ago.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Will need to get back to SFO from ZNZ. I saw EY has availability DAR-AUH-LAX. Would take the ferry or the 30 minute flight from ZNZ to DAR and then add on the AA flight from LAX to SFO. BUT... routing rules say I can't book the DAR-AUH-LAX routing correct? I guess only Qatar is allowed for Middle East stop on Africa to North America routing? I guess I'll just book ZNZ-DAR-AUH as a paid ticket and then AUH-LAX-SFO on the award. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by gobears293
Will need to get back to SFO from ZNZ. I saw EY has availability DAR-AUH-LAX. Would take the ferry or the 30 minute flight from ZNZ to DAR and then add on the AA flight from LAX to SFO. BUT... routing rules say I can't book the DAR-AUH-LAX routing correct? I guess only Qatar is allowed for Middle East stop on Africa to North America routing? I guess I'll just book ZNZ-DAR-AUH as a paid ticket and then AUH-LAX-SFO on the award. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
You can book DAR-AUH-LAX, but it would be two awards

QR flies daily ZNZ-DOH so it should be possible redeem one award for ZNZ-somewhere in USA, such as LAX (QR does not fly to SFO)
If QR's routing rules allow it, a final leg to SFO could be added
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pandaperth
You can book DAR-AUH-LAX, but it would be two awards

QR flies daily ZNZ-DOH so it should be possible redeem one award for ZNZ-somewhere in USA, such as LAX (QR does not fly to SFO)
If QR's routing rules allow it, a final leg to SFO could be added
I would love to have that option on QR. Award availability to LAX looks really bad. A Thursday in August doesn't seem like high season, so I guess they're just stingy.

BA is still the best way to search, correct?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Mixed-Carrier Award Ticket not allowed?

Hello,

I booked an award ticket through AA for flights on Qatar Airways from JNB-DOH-CMB with a ~20 hour layover in DOH.

I tried calling to switch to a later connection from DOH-CMB (but yes, still within the 24 hour layover window), where the flight is operated by Sri Lankan Airlines. I was told that if I switched to that leg, they would need to charge me for that flight separately. This makes no sense - I'm just changing the connecting carrier, but the agent and supervisor said it then needs to be two separate reservations.

I usually book flights through UA and have no issues booking awards with multiple carriers. Can someone please help? I think AA is wrong but I'm not sure what else to do.

Thank you!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA has a published fare rule. You're allowed JNB-DOH-CMB in part because Qatar has a published fare. Qatar may not have a fare that allows JNB-DOH + Sri Lankan DOH-CMB.

If you think you can just pick destinations and choose any carriers and routings, you desperately need to review the help wikis.

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by lushwave
Hello,

I booked an award ticket through AA for flights on Qatar Airways from JNB-DOH-CMB with a ~20 hour layover in DOH.

I tried calling to switch to a later connection from DOH-CMB (but yes, still within the 24 hour layover window), where the flight is operated by Sri Lankan Airlines. I was told that if I switched to that leg, they would need to charge me for that flight separately. This makes no sense - I'm just changing the connecting carrier, but the agent and supervisor said it then needs to be two separate reservations.

I usually book flights through UA and have no issues booking awards with multiple carriers. Can someone please help? I think AA is wrong but I'm not sure what else to do.

Thank you!
You can book multiple carriers, but there are other restrictions such as the need for published fares by the primary operating carrier and transit rules (for which QR has an exemption on certain routes). Not sure which is at play here, but I suspect it's the latter. In general, you can't go from region a to region b via a third region, unless there is an exception. One of the common exceptions is via Doha where both legs are on QR.

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 15, 2018 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just wanted to post this experience with an award change, because it was different than I was told it would be. I had a JAL flight in F booked for HND-JFK in the morning with AA miles. I wasn't happy with the morning flight and wanted to fly out in the evening, but the evening flight was NRT-JFK and had no availability at the time of booking. I was told switching from HND to NRT as a departure date would result in an award change fee when I checked the forums, but I was willing to eat that fee for more time in Tokyo and to be able to use the F lounge later in the day. The evening flight out of NRT finally opened up and I called in to change my award. I was not charged an award change fee for switching my departure airports. I may have just gotten lucky but just thought I would post my experience.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hello,

Thank you!
It may be the prevailing carrier may not offer that routing on a paid ticket unless it is issued with married segments - in which case you will not be able to change carriers. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for award rule details.

Originally Posted by Red259
Just wanted to post this experience with an award change, because it was different than I was told it would be. I had a JAL flight in F booked for HND-JFK in the morning with AA miles. I wasn't happy with the morning flight and wanted to fly out in the evening, but the evening flight was NRT-JFK and had no availability at the time of booking. I was told switching from HND to NRT as a departure date would result in an award change fee when I checked the forums, but I was willing to eat that fee for more time in Tokyo and to be able to use the F lounge later in the day. The evening flight out of NRT finally opened up and I called in to change my award. I was not charged an award change fee for switching my departure airports. I may have just gotten lucky but just thought I would post my experience.

It appears the agent treated NRT and HND as co-terminals, much as they might do with EWR-LGA-JFK.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 15, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hello,

Thank you!
QR's routing rules for JNB-CMB do not allow for travel between DOH and CMB on UL . As such, it is correct that if you wish to travel on UL, you will need one award for the QR journey to DOH and another for the UL journey to CMB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.