Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As this is about the joint policies developed between AA and US to serve each other's members, his has been moved from the Pre-Merger forum into the Consolidated forum.

You may wish to read the existing thread: 1st stage of reciprocal upgrades US<->AA [11 Jun 2014]

/Moderator
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:30 am

To be clear, this is not about joint or reciprocal status or upgrades. I'm only referring to AA and US Airways upgrade policies on their own flights.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The 500-mile segment upgrades useable by Gold & Plat (and general members on Y and B fares) 'domestically' are commonly known as stickers due to their long-ago physical format.

Search 'buy upgrades' an aa.com

Buy Upgrades

Upgrades Rules
Upgrades are valid for Gold, Platinum and Executive Platinum AAdvantage members from any individual published coach ticket to the next class of service.
Regular AAdvantage members, traveling on a published full fare Y or B coach ticket, may use purchased upgrades to the next class of service.
Each upgrade is valid for up to 500 miles of travel. Flight segments over 500 miles require additional upgrades.
You may request an upgrade when making your flight reservation.
Upgrades are subject to availability.If upgrade seating is unavailable, we will continue to attempt to process the request, up to three hours prior to your flight time.
Upgrade Windows for Processing:
AAdvantage Executive Platinum - 100 hours prior to departure
AAdvantage Platinum - 72 hours prior to departure
AAdvantage Gold - 24 hours prior to departure
Non-Elite Status traveling on Full-fare Economy - 24 hours prior to departure Y or B
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:59 am

Right, I see this:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvanta...antageupgrades

500-Mile Upgrades (Complimentary)
Who: AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on any published fare, and AAdvantage Platinum® and AAdvantage Gold® members traveling on fares booked in Y or B (excluding military/government fares).

I'm strictly talking about free complimentary upgrades to the next class of service.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
The AA sticker system is a bit more complicated. They are free in the sense that for every 10,000 miles that you fly, you get 4 free stickers (it is a way to control the number of times PLAT and GLD can ask for free upgrades). Since you have to fly a fair amount to become PLAT or GLD, you will be entitled automatically to a certain number of complimentary upgrades based upon the number of miles flown.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:32 am

Other than the above, AA does not give complimentary upgrades (unless occasionally rolling a cabin forward do to oversold conditions or Executive Platinum Systemwide Upgrades usable when upgrade inventory exists).

As you are not addressing the new policies of a merging pair of airlines, the existing policies are best addressed in the individual re-merger fora, not here. The AA Pre-Merger Forum has an excellent FAQ with links to current threads, including a section on upgrades; US has a thread entitled US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014] as well as others.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by lcflyer
The AA sticker system is a bit more complicated. They are free in the sense that for every 10,000 miles that you fly, you get 4 free stickers (it is a way to control the number of times PLAT and GLD can ask for free upgrades). Since you have to fly a fair amount to become PLAT or GLD, you will be entitled automatically to a certain number of complimentary upgrades based upon the number of miles flown.
According to the link (www.aa.com/aadvantageupgrades), there are EARNED (this is what you're referring to), PURCHASED and COMPLIMENTARY upgrades. I'm only focused on the complimentary.

Originally Posted by JDiver
As you are not addressing the new policies of a merging pair of airlines, the existing policies are best addressed in the individual re-merger fora, not here. The AA Pre-Merger Forum has an excellent FAQ with links to current threads, including a section on upgrades; US has a thread entitled US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD 2014] as well as others.
I agree this should be in the pre-merger fourum, that's where I posted it but a moderator moved it to this forum (see above).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by justinh20
According to the link (www.aa.com/aadvantageupgrades), there are EARNED (this is what you're referring to), PURCHASED and COMPLIMENTARY upgrades. I'm only focused on the complimentary.

I agree this should be in the pre-merger fourum, that's where I posted it but a moderator moved it to this forum (see above).
Yes, I did - but that was before it was clear these are about pre-merger policies, and they are best asked in the two pre-merger fora. It's a PITA, believe me, but until AA and US actually merge it's a way to maintain some separation between the pre- and "post" merger policies. Maddening, eh?

Here, you'll get the AA-US developing policies about upgrades (such as they are and as they will be), whereas the AA and US pre-merger fora are best for separate policies - and they do vary. (I'm unfamiliar with the US method of offering "unlimited" upgrades to elite members - the concept to me means fewer upgrades spread amongst many more eligibles).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, I did - but that was before it was clear these are about pre-merger policies, and they are best asked in the two pre-merger fora. It's a PITA, believe me, but until AA and US actually merge it's a way to maintain some separation between the pre- and "post" merger policies. Maddening, eh?

Here, you'll get the AA-US developing policies about upgrades (such as they are and as they will be), whereas the AA and US pre-merger fora are best for separate policies - and they do vary. (I'm unfamiliar with the US method of offering "unlimited" upgrades to elite members - the concept to me means fewer upgrades spread amongst many more eligibles).
Ok, can you move this back to the pre-merger forum?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justinh20
Is that accurate? That's crazy that my co-workers who use Dividend Miles get upgraded to first pretty consistently but I won't because I'm AAdvantage. Just want to make sure I understand this right.
OK, so you're a brand new AAdvantage elite, right? It's not so "crazy" if you look at the long-term historical facts. Typically, AA has had more F seats than most other airlines on similar aircraft, meaning more opportunities to upgrade. And, typically, AA has provided meals on shorter flights than most other airlines.

The 500 mile upgrade certificates that Plats and Golds have to use (and may have to buy from AA on occasion) brought in about $120 million of revenue in 2003. Management revealed that number in response to questions from the investment analysts as to "when will AA follow the pack and grant free domestic upgrades to all?" Management said that the revenue from those sticker sales would have to be replaced somehow. Don't know how much revenue the sticker sales bring in these days, as AA hasn't spilled the beans lately.

In any event, a few months later, AA granted UDU solely to EXPs, and kept the sticker system for everyone else unless they were on full fares.

Crazy? It's worked for many of us.

Don't get too worked up about it because it could change as the two airlines combine. We've already seen US upgrade its meals and increase its generosity with which flights get meals. On the other hand, we've seen strong hints that AA's generous policies will be rolled back. So far, fewer wine selections and in some cases, abbreviated meals (shorter TATL flights).

If you fly a mix of flights to Europe, Asia, South America and domestic, then you'll probably earn enough 500 mile upgrade stickers to cover most of your upgrades. If you fly mainly domestic and have good luck with upgrades, then you'll have to buy even more stickers.

My view? I'd rather have to buy stickers and then get to sit up front more often than have the "everyone gets free upgrades" system and then find myself sitting in the back more often than not.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: None
US, so far, still has unlimited upgrades prioritized with status with one exception - TATL has no unlimited upgrades. Upgrades on TATL flights are only via certificates issued by the DM credit card, which are good for 1 one-way upgrade for card holder and a companion I think twice a year.

Jim
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Upgrades on TATL flights are only via certificates issued by the DM credit card, which are good for 1 one-way upgrade for card holder and a companion I think twice a year.
I wish, if that was the case then I'd take out about 10 US credit cards. Rather what I think you meant to say was that you get 2 one-way system wide upgrades for you and a companion each year you reach Chairman's status with US. The only way to upgrade TATL is by Chairman certificates or 30k miles + $300 co-pay.

Go Gators
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
US, so far, still has unlimited upgrades prioritized with status with one exception - TATL has no unlimited upgrades. Upgrades on TATL flights are only via certificates issued by the DM credit card, which are good for 1 one-way upgrade for card holder and a companion I think twice a year.

Jim
The credit card certificate is the ability to pay for a seat for yourself that's over a $250 round trip fare and add up to 2 companions to it for $99 each. TATL upgrades are paid with cash ($600-$900 depending on flight if I recall), $300+30k miles as GNVGator said ($300+40k for Middle East) or Chairmans certs.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: Independent
Upgrade on AA using US miles?

I just realized I have about 12k miles left from my old US air foray. They will be expiring by the end of the month. Looking at award travel on the Us Air webpage, I notice there are a few low awards available for the flights I want - but they are on American metal. Can I use my US Air miles ot upgrade those flights?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:29 pm

You might want to read this thread, which is about upgrade reciprocity with AA and US, and how it is developing:

1st stage of reciprocal upgrades US<->AA [11 Jun 2014]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.