Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Since you mentioned US, I'll fill that in.

US Business class has a very good hard product on the A330 - state of the art full lie-flat pod-type seats, AVOD, etc. Probably on a par with any of the domestic carriers. The 767 is a step down - lie-flat on a slant seats. Otherwise about on a par with most domestic carriers. The 757 is the worst - the old Business seats from the A330's (70 degree or so recline but not lie-flat), AVOD using portable units. Of course, the 757 is a narrow-body so not as much of a spacious feel.

Only top-tier elites (Chairman's) get any free upgrades - 2 per year for elite and companion). Otherwise you either upgrade with miles/dollars or dollars with what is called GoEnvoy if any seats are available at checkin.

Jim
757 are doing international routes?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:11 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
how big of a difference is it from business to first? DL and UA only offers businessfirst which i think they are more like a real good business.
I only travel internationally from work and it's about 60% so I don't spend the rest 40% traveling...

I really hope that when AA will take over US they will change the flight from philly TLV to NYC TLV or just add that lag.
There is a HUGE difference between J and F on the 772. Largely due to J being pathetic as J goes. UA on the Asian routes I fly also offers F. DL does not.

J in the newer 773 is supposed to be better but I have not flown it yet since that plane is not yet used on any Asian routes.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
I did call AA. They said no way.

I assume at the airport there is more chances in getting that done. I mean you have AA flight numbers, AA record locator and at check in asking to apply an EVIP might make sense.

Where did your wife check in?
When do you travel? I believe we have one of the same US fares and I would also be very interested to hear any airport upgrade request experience!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:41 am

End of March from BCN
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Can't happen in advance. Airport agents can and will process Upgrades when you have booked the code share. Happens with all the partners who code share AA metal. AS, QR, IB, US ....
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Gold, IHG Plat AMB
End of March from BCN
4th April from BCN here. Ask at the airport and please let me know how you get on!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:48 am

will keep you up to date. If I forget send me a private message on April 1.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:50 am

Hi HNL, so it happened with you already? meaning if I am on US stock but the AA record locator has AA flight numbers they would process an EVIP?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Hi HNL, so it happened with you already? meaning if I am on US stock but the AA record locator has AA flight numbers they would process an EVIP?
My understanding is only at the airport.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Hi,
Ticket is us airways, flight operated by AA. BCN-MIA
Have AA record locator, AA metal and shows like AA flight.
Did anyone succeed in upgrading one of these scenarios at the airport or with the EXP desk?
I have a flight from DFW to PHL to YUL on Monday,

AA metal booked via US.

EP desk says they can not put in the request due to different reservation systems.

Said I can get the upgrade when I check in at airport.

I will let you know Monday night
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:44 am

Called EXP desk too. Told me day of flight to request at counter so basically if J is not sold out you get lined up on the airport list.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
What about complementary upgrades? IfI book a US air ticket stock operated by AA, will I be added to the upgrade standby list by an agent?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
I have an AA ticket operated by US Air, international flight and I am EXP. Any chance of being able to apply an EVIP or maybe at the gate?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by dlandz
I have an AA ticket operated by US Air, international flight and I am EXP. Any chance of being able to apply an EVIP or maybe at the gate?
Not a chance, at least not before March 31. The US Air people at airport claim there is no way they can upgrade. AA will say the same, since they are different systems.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
The only upgrades that I have heard working are: domestically - open seats on US Air and AA for Chairman's & EXP if there are no upgrades being requested.

I personally have had US ticket stock, US marketed, AA operated flights upgraded internationally at the airport using one of my SWUs.

I have not heard of any Chairman's successfully using their version of a SWU on AA ticket stock, AA marketed, US operated flights. Can anyone confirm this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.