Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions
Upgrade peculiarities and anomalies through 16 Oct / prior to CSS / PSS merger
Please contribute summary information and links to key posts here in this wikipost!

See Elite status benefits" on aa.com, in particular upgrade benefits on AA and US by status.

"Our combined loyalty program" on aa.com. In particular:

Upgrades

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Now that we’ve combined loyalty programs, all complimentary upgrades on eligible flights will be auto-requested. However, elite upgrade policies will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems later in 2015 (17 October 2015).

Learn more about elite upgrades

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.

To summarize:
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + AA operated = OK
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + AA flight number + US operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on AA.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + US operated = OK
  • Purchase on US.com or anywhere else + US flight number + AA operated = Upgrade/waitlist at OLCI
  • Purchase on US.com + AA flight number + AA operated = Impossible, no AA-marketed flights sold on US.com

How to book flights marketed and operated by the same airline

See the Major Merger Updated >13 March thread for upgrades updates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dates-etc.html (full cross-airline upgrade compatibility will occur "later this year" when the SHARES PSS has been merged into Sabre. [/hl]Until then AA and US recommend not booking each other's codeshares with intent to upgrade.[/hl]

This is the merged, master thread about securing upgrades in the "merged AA but still operating as separate airlines" when flying with mixed ticketing, the "other" airline than the one with the flyer's frequent flyer program or status, etc. As it is a merged thread, there may be some thread discontinuity; we apologise for any difficulties.

The information below reflects the wiki in AA / US Reciprocal Elite Benefits [Master Thread]

Thanks to FT member ashill for valuable contributions to this wiki.

Print Wikipost

AA and US cross program and merged FFP upgrade questions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by JDiver
You might want to read this thread, which is about upgrade reciprocity with AA and US, and how it is developing:

1st stage of reciprocal upgrades US<->AA [11 Jun 2014]
Unless I have missed something in there, it doesn't tell me anything about whether you can use miles to upgrade a flight, just about complimentary upgrades. I don't have status on US, just some leftover miles I want to use up.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Unless I have missed something in there, it doesn't tell me anything about whether you can use miles to upgrade a flight, just about complimentary upgrades. I don't have status on US, just some leftover miles I want to use up.
I suspect that's what current state of the art is, then.

The only airlines AAdvantage miles seem to be usable for upgrades are American, British and Iberia. See here.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 5, 2014 at 10:33 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect that's what current state of the art is, then.

The only airlines AAdvantage miles seem to be usable for upgrades are American, British and Iberia. See here.
I'd like to see some sort of transfer system like UA and CO had during the early days. You could move miles freely between the two programs, though it might take a day or two for the miles to show up. It made for easier redemptions by combining miles and allowing for mileage upgrades until the programs merged.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Superguy
I'd like to see some sort of transfer system like UA and CO had during the early days. You could move miles freely between the two programs, though it might take a day or two for the miles to show up. It made for easier redemptions by combining miles and allowing for mileage upgrades until the programs merged.
I think this will come in Calendar Year 2015.

To the OP - No, there is currently no way to upgrade on AA flights with US miles.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver
Business Class Upgrade on AA, Credit Miles to US

Would appreciate some insight to the following: Would like to know if it's even possible to upgrade an AA international segment (Y->C) using AA Miles + $$$ but ultimately credit mileage to my US DM account? Have done research here but can't find the answer. It would appear that I need my AA number in the record to get on the upgrade waitlist, but if and when the upgrade does clear, can I then change my number back to US Dividend Miles (or for that matter any partner) and retain the upgrade? Thx...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by scholity
Would appreciate some insight to the following: Would like to know if it's even possible to upgrade an AA international segment (Y->C) using AA Miles + $$$ but ultimately credit mileage to my US DM account? Have done research here but can't find the answer. It would appear that I need my AA number in the record to get on the upgrade waitlist, but if and when the upgrade does clear, can I then change my number back to US Dividend Miles (or for that matter any partner) and retain the upgrade? Thx...
AA Mileage upgrades are independent of FF #. So, yes, once you clear your miles + co-pay upgrade you should be able to change to use your US # on the flight. Just have to call it to do it.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA Upgrades on US (TA)

So American has changed or dropped most of its flights to Europe forcing us to fly to Philly and catching a US Air flight. Next to no flights to Madrid anymore, flights to Heathrow now leave so late, there are few connections available (I fly out of DFW). Plenty of choices out of Philly, but on UA Air. No upgrades, system-wide or with points available for AA flyers. I'm AA EP and can't even get priority seating on US Air flights! When will this all be over?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jmk55
So American has changed or dropped most of its flights to Europe

Welcome to Flyertalk!

Where did you draw this conclusion from? Perhaps you are thinking of seasonal routes. In that case its a similar thing every year.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You might want to read the existing thread on AA - US reciprocal upgrades:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2014-a.html
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm AA EP and can't even get priority seating on US Air flights!
AA elites are eligible to reserve preferred seats on US, not Choice seats. It's the same for US elites. If the agent failed to explain that to you, their bad.

So American has changed or dropped most of its flights to Europe...
Quite some hyperbole there. No, AA has not (permanently, nor seasonally) dropped most of its AA-operated flights to Europe.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:13 am

Which conclusions? Flights to Europe?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:15 am

Everything on-line routes you thru Philly. If I try to force it thru Heathrow, I get there so late, there on few connections - use to leave at 3:30, now leaves at 6:30. Madrid use to be a big European hub, now the only way to get to Madrid is thru ORD or JFK, no direct flights anymore. This is all from Dallas.

Last edited by Jmk55; Oct 16, 2014 at 7:23 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:25 am

additionally, system wide upgrades use to be good on AA or BA going to London. System wide upgrades aren't useable on US
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

additionally, system wide upgrades use to be good on AA or BA going to London. System wide upgrades aren't useable on US
SWU's were never valid on BA.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
So American has changed or dropped most of its flights to Europe
Well, no, that's not even remotely true, but ok.

Where are you flying between?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.